Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686438
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 758
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682691 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #780 on: March 16, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
Holding out for grav engines.........
:D probably an apc version an a heavy gunner version.i imagine the tracks are in both versions.
They look look like a very separate component. Its not that I am hoping they "save" this in some way, I just have a hard time believing that model. Even the angle of the tracks appears infuriatingly stupid, that's never going to get you over any obstacle...
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #781 on: March 16, 2014, 11:03:47 PM »
They look look like a very separate component. Its not that I am hoping they "save" this in some way, I just have a hard time believing that model. Even the angle of the tracks appears infuriatingly stupid, that's never going to get you over any obstacle...

so Goethe the age old mantra "don't expect realism in 40k".

even wheels will not make me like it. only with grav engines can it toe that perfect line between awesome and stupid that 40k exists in.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #782 on: March 17, 2014, 05:11:48 AM »
(apart from the 'all your toys' bashes my brothers and I used to play on the dining room table) to compare it to.

Me and my brother used to do that too. I don't think we ever finished a game though. Turns took so long!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #783 on: March 17, 2014, 09:08:47 PM »
Me and my brother used to do that too. I don't think we ever finished a game though. Turns took so long!

still sounds like apocalypse.....

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #784 on: March 18, 2014, 12:55:41 AM »
Some good points about the Imperial Knight helmets... lol lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #785 on: March 18, 2014, 05:13:03 AM »
still sounds like apocalypse.....
Lol only difference is there were never any big vehicles etc that took up half the gaming space that you needed a forklift license to manoeuvre.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #786 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:02 PM »
Lol only difference is there were never any big vehicles etc that took up half the gaming space that you needed a forklift license to manoeuvre.

I like to call that wallhammer, because once you've blown the crap out of each others infantry it just becomes two walls shooting at each other :)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #787 on: March 23, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »
New Hobbit releases out.  Beorn in bear-form adds new meaning to the word "turd".  Disco Thranduil to add to the "Monkey Twins".

Gundabad Orcs - another fiecast-only army.  Basic force looks like it will set you back £210 for 36 troops and 3 characters.  *Sigh* was it only three or four years ago that you could get 40 plastic Uruk-hai for £30 (even they're £54 now...)?

Also, they're doing 1-click collections.  The Rohan one (mix of metal and plastic) has 28 infantry (18 troops + 10 characters) and 9 cavalry (6 troops + 3 characters) for... £140.  Again, the old Rohan plastic army deal was 48 infantry + 18 cavalry for £50 :(

Best not to talk about the Hunter Orc deal - 27 infantry and 14 cavalry for £152  ;D

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #788 on: March 23, 2014, 11:53:32 AM »
New Hobbit releases out.  Beorn in bear-form adds new meaning to the word "turd".  Disco Thranduil to add to the "Monkey Twins".

Gundabad Orcs - another fiecast-only army.  Basic force looks like it will set you back £210 for 36 troops and 3 characters.  *Sigh* was it only three or four years ago that you could get 40 plastic Uruk-hai for £30 (even they're £54 now...)?

Also, they're doing 1-click collections.  The Rohan one (mix of metal and plastic) has 28 infantry (18 troops + 10 characters) and 9 cavalry (6 troops + 3 characters) for... £140.  Again, the old Rohan plastic army deal was 48 infantry + 18 cavalry for £50 :(

Best not to talk about the Hunter Orc deal - 27 infantry and 14 cavalry for £152  ;D

To paraquote Ronald Reagan, "I did not leave Games Workshop, Games Workshop left me."  I would have loved to do a LOTR SAGA project, but with these costs I could do 2 if not 3 historical forces or even GoT forces for the cost of one in LOTR.  Needless to say, I burn with jealousy over the mates that managed to get in on this ground floor! I hope you all excuse my French, but F Games Workshop.  Stupid expensive for no real reason but to wring cash from hobbyists!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #789 on: March 23, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
Sales of LOTR models bombed here and there, so its often quite easy to find them at pretty deep discounts. War of the ring plays pretty well and I'm kind of sad I sold on all of the LotR stuff I got wholesale from toy stores around here. I should have kept a army or two so that I could play that game. Still might be possible to pick up a force on the cheap.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #790 on: March 23, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »
Sales of LOTR models bombed here and there, so its often quite easy to find them at pretty deep discounts. War of the ring plays pretty well and I'm kind of sad I sold on all of the LotR stuff I got wholesale from toy stores around here. I should have kept a army or two so that I could play that game. Still might be possible to pick up a force on the cheap.

Cheers Mate!  Sadly I havent seen any deals...  Jammer :(  I look on evilbay once in a while, but then again, I have a TON of historical SAGA stuff now.  But since I have a bunch of extra figs, I may do a couple of small GoT forces in the future.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #791 on: March 23, 2014, 12:13:21 PM »
Cheers Mate!  Sadly I havent seen any deals...  Jammer :(  I look on evilbay once in a while, but then again, I have a TON of historical SAGA stuff now.  But since I have a bunch of extra figs, I may do a couple of small GoT forces in the future.
yea the time for the best deals have passed. I might actually have a few boxes left over somewhere. Need to check next time I'm at my parents place.
You might be better of checking marktplaats for lord of the rings figuurtjes. decent deals pop up now and again.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #792 on: March 23, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
What a load of rubbish those new releases are! Insanely expensive, shitecast, and hardly anything anyway. Self fulfilling abject failure prophecy. It must be entirely intentional - realise The Hobbit has been nowhere near as popular as the Lord of the Rings, so do the bare minimum for the license agreement and then cover your ears and go "LALALALA". Typical GW, they have by far left me behind this last couple of years - I was clinging on through love of the backgrounds until now.

What the hell kind of pose is Thranduil in? Is he about to begin a dance routine?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #793 on: March 23, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
Still holding out for a smaug model but i know for a fact it'll never come and if it does it'll be finecast and deformed.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #794 on: March 23, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »
Still holding out for a smaug model but i know for a fact it'll never come and if it does it'll be finecast and deformed.

I plan to use the Otherworld red dragon as Smaug :D