Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686489
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682912 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #765 on: March 14, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »
Richard 'one fat lardy' Clarke's column in Wargames: Soldiers and Strategy mentions that he thinks the move to skirmish games with 10-20-30 minis a side is largely down to GW's games and starter sets.

I like your column Rich, but:

lol lol lol

anyway you can share the article for those of us out of touch with print media? :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #766 on: March 14, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »
Richard 'one fat lardy' Clarke's column in Wargames: Soldiers and Strategy mentions that he thinks the move to skirmish games with 10-20-30 minis a side is largely down to GW's games and starter sets.

I like your column Rich, but:

lol lol lol

And yet when Warlord but out a starter for Bolt Action with that number of figures it sold well...

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #767 on: March 14, 2014, 09:37:21 PM »
I need to track down the penny arcade comic about mcvey and how he painted around white dwarf deadlines.

Would very much like to see that if you find it.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #768 on: March 15, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »
Pixelgeek: I have a feeling one of us is misunderstanding, but I'm not sure who it is...

Nic-e: I can't share, but Karwansaray can.  :P

It was a bit about the middle of the column that made me double-take. Started out with the usual stuff about how kids are getting into gaming via GW these days, rather than Don Featherstone et al. Segued into a couple of paragraphs about how skirmish and platoon games are becoming more popular, and the first ended with this line:

The fact that this new breed of smaller games mirrors the force-sizes typical of entry-level sets for 40K cannot be coincidence.

From what disgruntled GW gamer complaints I see, some of the problems with the modern game are: starter set compositions are unbalanced and usually 'illegal' under codex rules; you can play 40K with 20-30 minis (I think the <10 Rich mentioned for skirmish gangs is less feasible) but it's far from optimal (for 40K, that is ;D ); and GW have been slowly inflating the army sizes of their core games for years, to the point they're apparently trying to introduce Apocalypse rules and mechanisms into the main game, and people are leaving in droves in the face of the amount of overpriced plastic they'd have to buy.

So yeah, Richard, I'd say it is a coincidence. ;D

(After the 'GW is promoting tiny games' bit [still can't believe he thinks it] he went on to grumble about ex-GWers expecting or rewarding historical games that mirror 40K mechanisms rather than historical facts or tactics. Sounded like a bit of a get-off-my-lawn moment but I don't really disagree with him. It's a topic for another thread, but while he didn't even hint at any of these...'mistorical' games, for some reason my mind went to Bolt Action and the magazine's ad for it's rival, TFL's Chain of Command. ['The game one reviewer called "the last word in WWII wargaming"'])

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #769 on: March 15, 2014, 01:37:22 AM »
After the 'GW is promoting tiny games' bit [still can't believe he thinks it...

Without having the whole article to read, it appears that he isn't commenting on the validity of the forces in the sets just the size of the sets.

But really without the whole article its probably not fair to comment

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #770 on: March 15, 2014, 10:13:35 AM »
(After the 'GW is promoting tiny games' bit [still can't believe he thinks it] he went on to grumble about ex-GWers expecting or rewarding historical games that mirror 40K mechanisms rather than historical facts or tactics. Sounded like a bit of a get-off-my-lawn moment but I don't really disagree with him. It's a topic for another thread, but while he didn't even hint at any of these...'mistorical' games, for some reason my mind went to Bolt Action and the magazine's ad for it's rival, TFL's Chain of Command. ['The game one reviewer called "the last word in WWII wargaming"'])

The whole idea is strange to me, I just don't see your regular warhammer player who decides to switch systems jump onto WWII games all that quickly. I mean I can appreciate both but something like say warmachine would be a lot more likely to charm these ex-gw player right? Heck I know it did for me for while back when.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #771 on: March 15, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
I read the article too and it jarred with me. I put it down to a more historical approach, with him talking about the 'Old School' wargames, in majestic Napoleonic style, with huge colourful blocks of troops, compared to the earlier days of Warhammer and Rogue Trader with a smattering of disparate models forming your 'army' and having a bash about.

It's a little before my time really since I certainly was playing 1st Edition Warhammer in the early eighties, but didn't play any historical games (apart from the 'all your toys' bashes my brothers and I used to play on the dining room table) to compare it to.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #772 on: March 15, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »
Quote from: Cubs
A little before my time really since I certainly was playing 1st Edition Warhammer in the early eighties, but didn't play any historical games (apart from the 'all your toys' bashes my brothers and I used to play on the dining room table) to compare it to.

I think that's called apocalypse now ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:56:24 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #773 on: March 15, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
Nic-e: nah, I think that's the one with Marlon Brando in it. :P

Without having the whole article to read, it appears that he isn't commenting on the validity of the forces in the sets just the size of the sets.

Apart from the direct quote about just why he thinks skirmish games are more popular, which leads to the bit about GW in general, de-embiggening games. It does sound as if 'kids these days' just need an Assault on Black Reach or Dark Vengeance to be perfectly content with 40K, which is something I have trouble imagining.
I have to agree with Cubs: it's as if he cast a jaundiced eye over Rogue Trader once or twice, then assumed that the game had basically the same scope for the last 2-3 decades.

YPU: warmahordes does seem to be 40K's main rival these days (depends just how high the position of 'first loser' elevates you in this specific little world). Although I've been keeping an eye on a Warseer post-GW suggestion topic, and Bolt Action is not an uncommon name on it.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #774 on: March 15, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »
Nic-e: nah, I think that's the one with Marlon Brando in it. :P

Mind the oranges, Marlon!

I think that's called apocalypse now ;D

Those games were pure ace. I don't know if it's down to nostalgia or just the sight of Esci's Roman and Greek ranges (what do you mean they're not accurate?) galloping down onto Airfix's Washington's Army.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #775 on: March 16, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »
looks like we aren't the only ones who think the taurox is a tad silly ... ;)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #776 on: March 16, 2014, 09:37:18 PM »
looks like we aren't the only ones who think the taurox is a tad silly ... ;)
Missed that, worth a laugh.  :D

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #777 on: March 16, 2014, 09:52:29 PM »
 lol lol lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #778 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
I've been thinking, doesn't GW Make most of its big kits multi-purpose these days? A lot of models "either make the blood dripper gore shade painter or the extremely grim power pike stabber" Maybe the taurox is the weaker of 2 options? I can definitely see it as being the "o shit we need another build option" basterd child of something a tad better looking.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #779 on: March 16, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »
I've been thinking, doesn't GW Make most of its big kits multi-purpose these days? A lot of models "either make the blood dripper gore shade painter or the extremely grim power pike stabber" Maybe the taurox is the weaker of 2 options? I can definitely see it as being the "o shit we need another build option" basterd child of something a tad better looking.

Holding out for grav engines.........
:D probably an apc version an a heavy gunner version.i imagine the tracks are in both versions.