Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:09:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1701950 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9330 on: January 23, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
I bought the Shadespire starter set without fully realising what the game was purely because of the size of the game. It's not really for me so I have it sitting here totally untouched bar me taking the celophane off to look at.

I also have the healing potion card and the giant card etc from the white dwarf which I can throw in with it. Let me know if you'd be interested. And as an addict, I'd just be using the funds to buy more miniatures!  ;D
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #9331 on: January 23, 2019, 05:57:18 PM »
Yeah, but the thing with the free event mini's you get anywhere is that they are not free.

Free to the first 5,000 or something isn't it?

Some companies will do discounts and what not for games minis because it's advertising and product placement. So Renedra might have done a deal for that one and the sculptor may have done the same, they get the mini in the mag and in other magazines. I think Wargames Illustrated have featured them before. Especially with the painting comp of which one category is last years mini.

In either case, it's £10 entry to get one. Even 1000 people through the door is £10k. For a small sprue like that, I think that's not far off. Plus they are always selling them the year after, those that are left. And I suspect that a production run with plastics is so low we'll see them sold there for a while longer yet.

I did once look into it, but size of sprue does make a difference to the cost. At one point I think someone was offering a small sprue like that for around £8-9k. I think that was outside of the UK, maybe in EU? But when you consider GW also have to cover the cost of infrastructure as well. And we all know that retail units (eg shops) are becoming more expensive (well at least in the UK and parts of the US - and in a lot of big cities).

yeah I've always understood that plastic sets are very expensive to produce, so are only worth doing if it's going to be a big seller.

So a successful company like Perry Miniatures (one of the biggest names in historical miniatures, but obviously NOTHING like as big as GW in the wider gaming world) can afford to bring out two or three plastic boxes a year, but they only do it for ranges they know are going to sell lots of. They aren't going to bring out a plastic set for some really obscure range with limited customer interest - it would lose them money. At least, that's the way I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong.

So following that logic, a small start-up company could make a huge mistake by investing lots of money into a plastic set that doesn't sell simply due to lack of customer interest - it could ruin them.

With that in mind, I am genuinely amazed when I stop and look at the ammount of plastic sets GW sell, with new ones coming out every month. Obviously something like a plastic Space Marine tactical squad is going to be a big seller forever..... But everything they release now is plastic, isn't it??? Every obscure character they decide to make is in plastic, and it presumably costs loads to make the sprue. I mean I'm sure they do it all in-house, whereas smaller companies have Renedra and others do the plastics for them. But still..... Really is amazing.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #9332 on: January 23, 2019, 06:55:06 PM »
Yup. What's even more amazing is that for the main ranges, the releases have been planned and prepared for quite some time. I think it's been published that the White Dwarf is written three months in advance. So if you consider they often cover the releases for the coming month, that's a minimum four month lead team. I think in reality they have a range ready in advance and spread out some of the releases.

The biggest issue with smaller companies doing it is going to kickstarter where people nearly always demand free bonus sprues or a discount because it is kickstarter. Then they sell so many that after the kickstarter their range has almost saturated the sales in the desired market.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #9333 on: January 23, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »
I've wondered how profitable it was for GW to make so much plastic, and some kits seem sort of insane. I mean, a 28mm Deathstrike Missle Launcher?  o_o

What I can't figure out why they haven't made dedicated sets of plastic Mark V or VI 'Beakies'.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9334 on: January 23, 2019, 08:30:25 PM »
I would love a beakie squad.

Perhaps some kits subsidise others to help make all the plastic pay.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9335 on: January 23, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »

What I can't figure out why they haven't made dedicated sets of plastic Mark V or VI 'Beakies'.
They have! Mind you they are 30ish year old I think. lol

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #9336 on: January 23, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »
I wasn't introduced to Rogue Trader until well into 2nd ed so I have no nostalgic pang for beakies.

I am more than happy to dig around for the helmets that haven't already been snaffled by other gaming buddies with similar ideas. Hah! Just found one on my desk, that's a start!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9337 on: January 23, 2019, 09:13:52 PM »
I bought the Shadespire starter set without fully realising what the game was purely because of the size of the game. It's not really for me so I have it sitting here totally untouched bar me taking the celophane off to look at.

I also have the healing potion card and the giant card etc from the white dwarf which I can throw in with it. Let me know if you'd be interested. And as an addict, I'd just be using the funds to buy more miniatures!  ;D
I would be interested but postage to NZ is quite expensive for something that size and also my hobby budget is shot. Thanks for the offer though.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #9338 on: January 23, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »
Dang, yeah that would be a killer!

Just to ensure our desire for minis is kept on close to ceiling levels:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 02:05:54 PM by mcfonz »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #9339 on: January 23, 2019, 10:05:22 PM »
Nice looking mini with a restrained level of detail...I like it!

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9340 on: January 23, 2019, 11:36:07 PM »
I love non boobed breastplate. First time in ages.

And i hope they will make more of book characters!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9341 on: January 24, 2019, 07:56:31 AM »
Now that's a good min.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9342 on: January 24, 2019, 09:14:56 AM »
Pffft.  Can't be a GW mini - I only count four skulls on it.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #9343 on: January 24, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
Am I the only one not seeing any picture here?  ???

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #9344 on: January 24, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »
I couldn't see it either, so I just quoted mcfonz's post to get:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dxnf1hRX4AY0hS1.jpg
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland