Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:45:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683523 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #9915 on: June 26, 2019, 02:03:31 PM »
Thank you, I think I will. The reservations I expressed were a result of reading this review:

https://www.alwaysboardneverboring.com/2018/12/review-warhammer-underworlds-nightvault.html

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9916 on: June 27, 2019, 10:39:15 AM »
Only real problem with Underworlds now is that until they will retire some of the early cards (Like in M TG blocks) the game is getting quite expensive for a Tournament level gaming as you need to buy each box ever printed to get full choice of cards. (and like 50% of those cards are trash)

But if you are more casual player - using cards from the sets you have is perfectly Ok.

And if you want full experience you can just print some proxies (I do a lot - I have every card but I am keeping 8 decks build and almost half of the cards stays the same in each deck.
Best thing to do if you want to skip the hassle of knowing the cards is to start with online deck database and then modify the functioning decks with cards you personally like. It works great for me.

but If you want to start gaming and have fun Nightvault set is just better than Shadespire.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 10:42:34 AM by AWu »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9917 on: June 27, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
Thanks again. I knew the game involved card play, but didn't realise there was a deck-building / collecting element to it. I've never been attracted to MTG and its ilk. I've tried a couple of times - not very hard, admittedly - and been left cold. I take it Underworlds is a kind of hybrid, and I'm sure it's worth a try. I don't envisage taking part in tournaments.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9918 on: June 27, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »
Yes, its is ccg (or better Living card game as all card sets are pre constructed instead of ccg random boosters) hybrid.
You construct two decks - one consisting of cards you can play in various moment of the game and more importantly second one consisting of objectives you have to score  Glory points (points counted to win the game)

It is great game but I suggest trying it first before buying into.
As its more of a boardgame with miniatures than traditional miniature war game.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9919 on: June 27, 2019, 05:28:19 PM »
I've watched one or two play-throughs of Nightvault and Shadespire, but paid more attention to the minis than the gameplay, I must admit. I assume the card play makes it impractical as a solo game, but then that may be fairly academic. At my local store which stocks it I spoke to the manager briefly about it, but he hadn't played it, so couldn't tell me much.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #9920 on: June 27, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
I doubt its  feasible as a solo game, as scoring secret objectives is a key of the game.

It would require some form of AI similar to race for the galaxy to play properly.

And without card play its in reality a bland predictable game in which most of the factions (all that are based on scoring vp with other means than pure aggro)
are unplayable.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9921 on: June 27, 2019, 11:07:34 PM »
I doubt its  feasible as a solo game, as scoring secret objectives is a key of the game.

My solo opponent is a damnable cheat, so he would definitely know all the secret objectives to win at all costs, the bastard.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9922 on: June 28, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »
That's one reason I dislike playing solo, the other being that the idiot just can't understand the rules.

Hell, I'm going to get this game.

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9923 on: July 04, 2019, 02:28:46 AM »
Any news about Warcry?

I can't be the only one fed up with these vapid previews. In White Dwarf of yore, by now there would be a few paragraphs about the minis and mechanics...

Are the figures multi-part, like the Bloodreavers, or push fit?

Could I just buy the figures or would they come with cards?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9924 on: July 04, 2019, 06:34:01 AM »
Nothing I've seen and I agree. Need more info, not more armageddon stuff. Sick of hearing about that.

Offline Belligerentparrot

• Scientist
« Reply #9925 on: July 04, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »
There's a big GW event in mid-July - can't remember its name right now - that they're using Warcry art to advertise, so I guess we'll hear a lot more about it soon enough.

Getting very impatient for the Crows gang, myself!

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9926 on: July 04, 2019, 02:22:26 PM »
There's a big GW event in mid-July - can't remember its name right now - that they're using Warcry art to advertise, so I guess we'll hear a lot more about it soon enough.

Getting very impatient for the Crows gang, myself!
Warcry art with posed minis is the only thing I've seen so far...

I'm interested in these themed Marauders for a pit fighter/gladiator warband, but need to know if it'll take as much work as removing the iconography from Bloodreavers.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #9927 on: July 04, 2019, 05:54:31 PM »
If recent releases are anything to go by, multipart may be a likely but multipose is unlikely.

Looking at those, I suspect multipart but with/without build options. I very much doubt multipose. It'll be like Necromund I suspect but we'll have to wait to see if you can build them with different weapons/heads etc.

More - https://www.warhammer-community.com/?s=warcry
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9928 on: July 05, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »
Daemons in the upcoming White Dwarf for Kill Team. I'll be getting that one.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #9929 on: July 06, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »
Daemons in the upcoming White Dwarf for Kill Team. I'll be getting that one.
Monstrosities from the dark, swirling maelstrom known as the warp who form themselves into organised forces that conveniently balance against their foes. Forgive my cynicism but I've never been convinced by the idea of only-daemon forces.