Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:45:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694585
  • Total Topics: 118618
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733974 times)

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3720 on: August 30, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
Yeaaah, at 134 dollarydoos, I'll be giving this a pass.

HAH,  dollarydoos,  what a word :D chuckled for ages at that lol
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3721 on: September 02, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
I've found that an easy way to create metallic colours is painting with the color you want, and then applying a wash over it of metallic medium dilluted with glazing medium.

@Ajsalium - I haven't tried that approach, so I'll definitely give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3722 on: September 03, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »
Here is a BatRep which takes place in the Realm of Fire (using the lava geysers from the Age of Sigmar Book):

Seems like it was fun to me and the folks at TableTopMinis having been producing tons of videos on the games they have played. They are worth the time invested in watching them, I think.

Thanks for the link - I came across their channel when they put up Necromunda and Mordheim, and hadn't realised there was so much more new content.

They seem like nice chaps, and they clearly enjoy the buzz around AOS as well as the games they've played of it so far.

Having had the time to watch the AOS videos myself now, I can say that as much as I enjoyed their efforts, I remain unconvinced that my earlier suspicions of how much the Realm rules add to a game are wrong.

Watching their reports specifically, the geysers in the Realm of Fire seemed to be something they suffered rather than terrain rules that added to the game. Likewise, most of the terrain scattered around the board is assigned a random characteristic, but rarely plays much part in their games. For a narrative skirmish game, I feel this is a sad and wasted opportunity.

For a £45 book, I think it appears to have a shamefully bare set of terrain rules if that's the extent of what's in there. But then again, many of the AOS scenarios I've seen played seem to revolve around getting models to a rally point around an item of plastic scenery and besides killing other models, there are no rules that would make this more interesting - no rules for knocking models down, moving/displacing models, etc.

Then again, I've obviously not bought the book, and I could well be completely wrong - perhaps all this is in the book, and people have simply chosen not to play these rules (yet). <Shrug>

Also it appears that if you aren't willing to get into and learn the fluff of the game by reading the books (and playing the scenarios and campaigns they provide), you probably aren't going to like AoS because your only perspective is from the free rules only and not from what is actually happening in the game universe.

I don't really see how liking the AOS fluff makes the game rules better or worse. If they are Heroquest-level of basic (and they are), how does having an epic back-story to the hero make rolling his/her six dice needing a fixed 3+ to hit suddenly more interesting?

I know plenty of people who like game backgrounds but dislike the rules and vice-versa. The thing is, a fun game is still fun to play, even if you aren't bothered by the fluff. However, even if the fluff is amazing, a bland game will struggle to keep people's interest for very long.

That goes double if players are expected to have an ever-increasing series of expensive books which keep bolting on bits to the game (and which probably should have been there to start with). It's also unrealistic to expect a new player who wants to get into the game in say a year from now to buy six £45 books just to get the Realm rules and some scenarios, especially on top of expensive miniature collections.

Finally, and somewhat tangentially, I am amazed that in the complete do-over that AOS received that GW still decided to go with the very old and worn roll-three-sets-of-D6 for combat. I mean, it's basically a really simple skirmish game now, so at the very least having opposed rolls would have made determining the results more interesting for both players.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:31:16 AM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3723 on: September 03, 2015, 03:04:18 PM »
Looks like there's a Man-O-War computer game in the works now... (Link).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3724 on: September 03, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »
Cool. Looks very early production though.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3725 on: September 04, 2015, 03:06:40 AM »
I think it may get over shadowed by this eisenhorn game !
http://www.eisenhorngame.com/
(teaser site, unlock it, listen to the (very good) voice acting and then head to the facebook page ,so not much to go on.)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3726 on: September 04, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »
Looks like there's a Man-O-War computer game in the works now... (Link).

It didnt get me 'wanting more' I have to admit  :-I

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3727 on: September 16, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
Spotted some pictures of new Tau battle-suits online. They appear to be going towards titans more and more. I like the look of the large missile one quite a bit.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #3728 on: September 16, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »
Anybody who has kept up with AoS and can tell a little bit about how it's going, people getting in or out and AoS is getting more and more fans or is it a dying project?
Just curious...
Leadhead

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3729 on: September 16, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »
They appear to be going towards titans more and more.

Everything in 40K seems to be going towards titans. :) Any links?

Anybody who has kept up with AoS and can tell a little bit about how it's going, people getting in or out and AoS is getting more and more fans or is it a dying project?
Just curious...

Problem with that is that either way, you're dealing with small, isolated club and forum echo chambers. Personally I'd sit on my hands and wait for the next couple of half-year reports. (Predicting a bump in sales in the next one from the AoS release, and after that... who knows?)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3730 on: September 16, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
They seem to be just churning out all the sigmarines and no other AoS units which is a bit frustrating. I can understand it though seeing as space marines are the biggest seller wanting to get a fantasy biggest seller too. Just want to see some different stuff.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3731 on: September 16, 2015, 09:23:57 PM »
Apparently the big american warhammer tournament runners (texas something or other?) have said they are dropping warhammer and switching to kings of war , so the biggest tournement scene in america has just jumped ship.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3732 on: September 16, 2015, 09:39:09 PM »
Apparently the big american warhammer tournament runners (texas something or other?) have said they are dropping warhammer and switching to kings of war , so the biggest tournement scene in america has just jumped ship.

From social networks, the impression I get is, that the fantasy battle players that are in the scene for actually playing fantasy battles are leaking over to KoW in big numbers, so a major shift in the tournament scene seems to be a logical development.

Then, there are those who still refuse to accept that there's a reality outside the 'GW Hobby' and now think that AoS is the best thing that has ever happened to gaming...

I think AoS may be a leap forward concerning playability, but I as far as I understand, the 3-dice-to-resolve-combat method is maintained, and I personally think that it is too 1985 for me to bother even trying the free 4 pages ruleset.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3733 on: September 16, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »
I would say the massively reduced instances of this thread being added to is indicative of how AOS is doing.

Lol! You have a point. But on the other hand, this is kinda what I mean about echo chambers. There's the occassional 40K/FB modelling/painting/game report in the relevant board, and this thread that has regular flurries of activity and long periods of silence; but there's not that much because it's just not a GW-centric forum. (which - although I can take 40K/FB in small doses, in certain circumstances - is one of the reasons I like it here)
And then you'll have places like Dakka or Warseer, where I've seen just the same kind of people as Argonor has*, where AoS is constantly talked about (and where almost every modelling and painting topic is about 40K minis - blaargh!), so it must be doing great, or at least it's still a big noise. Same thing I've seen with people who can't believe that GW's sales figures have steadily if not swiftly dropping for the last couple of years, 'cos everybody plays 40K at their little club, or, ahem, their local GW store.

Sure we can speculate, look at local trends, and have opinions (personally I still think AoS is the latest nail in the coffin) but it's the overall reports that'll tell the most.

* Just a bit concerned that the exodus will make Ronnie Renton think Mantic is doing everything right, rather than taking into account that KoW is just one of the first, easiest stops on the way out of GWville, like Warmachine with unit blocks.

Oh, and by the way:

I think it may get over shadowed by this eisenhorn game !
http://www.eisenhorngame.com/
(teaser site, unlock it, listen to the (very good) voice acting and then head to the facebook page ,so not much to go on.)

Nice. :) Facebook tho, urgh.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:22:57 PM by Vermis »

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #3734 on: September 17, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »
Yeah, I don't visit "mainly" GW-related sites anymore these days, so I was wondering, since I hardly see any new releases being painted or discussed on the web ( might be I'm not looking very good, either  ;) ).
But I was curious about the looks of their Dwarfs and Elfs ( can't be bothered to look up or remember their new GW-names ), because people who played those armies might be willing to convert their existing models or add some special new units to their standing forces. So far it's only Sigmarine and Chaos ( and some repackaged Treemen ). Dunno how long the existing GW-community will keep their patience, but as KOW seemingly is getting bigger they should hurry a bit, I guess.
Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, you guys  :).