Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:52:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694581
  • Total Topics: 118617
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733929 times)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4065 on: November 29, 2015, 05:51:11 AM »
I hope so! I would love to give it a gander. As I said to Ray, I don't generally care what the subject matter is, I will peruse all the boards here because the standard of craftsmanship in painting and terrain is so high, I can enjoy it even with a smaller interest level in the subject matter.  :)

Looking forward to 30k Night Lords as well. One of my favourite chapters. My first opponent was a regular Night Lords player. Love the Lightning effects. Not sure of that is 30k or not, but Konrad et al should be great looking!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #4066 on: November 29, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »
This why we keep GW topics all in this one cosy corner...

Remember: keep calm and carry on.

And as the man said: be nice  :)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4067 on: November 29, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
There are many examples I could take, many of them cheesy even by wargaming standards, but my favourite chew toy is the Khorne character: Skarr Bloodwrath. I mean, you can imagine that keeping them up all night, can't you.

I've said before that GW seems to be going through some kind of OTT '90's comic book phase. 'Skarr Bloodwrath' sounds like an early Image Comics character.

Though I don't know if it can top the dreadnought Murderfang from the hell world Omnicide, armed with his murderclaws.

It's a reddit type convention. Simplifies the message. The library is full of novels.  o_o

Give me a tagline to hook me that convinces me that the previous 8 billion words are actually worth my time. I agree with Timbor: the past 10 pages have been superfluous.

I'll not post my Archaon response, then. lol

To be honest I can't summon up the vitriol anyway. It's just par for the course for GW's current direction. More size, more xxx-treme, more cost, more ennui.

I hope so! I would love to give it a gander. As I said to Ray, I don't generally care what the subject matter is, I will peruse all the boards here because the standard of craftsmanship in painting and terrain is so high, I can enjoy it even with a smaller interest level in the subject matter.  :)

Aye, this. As said, this topic's more about the daft things GW do, not what folk do with their GW models. All the same, I'm feeling a bit bad about contributing to the grumpiness. If it's putting people off, I think I'll rein myself in a bit.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4068 on: November 29, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
It's a reddit type convention. Simplifies the message. The library is full of novels.  o_o

Give me a tagline to hook me that convinces me that the previous 8 billion words are actually worth my time. I agree with Timbor: the past 10 pages have been superfluous.

This isn't Reddit, and I'm glad of that. If the lazy, low attention span TL;DR stuff of the internet infests this forum then it will be a great shame.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #4069 on: November 29, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
^^^

Gotta say that I agree 100% with the above.

If you can only handle 140 characters, then you are in the wrong place.
 :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4070 on: November 29, 2015, 03:31:59 PM »
Seems like we have two camps then. Welcome to the Internet, where no one agrees but everyone gets to say something!  lol

Now, to say that one camp is in the wrong place, or that they are lazy, well, that might be construed as being asinine but otherwise I was on board with respecting your disagreement. Gentlemanly convention of discussion, and all that. So let's not make it personal, and just agree that some like pithy arguments that go on forever, and others rather prefer to get to the point quickly.

How does that sound?

(More than 140 characters, yet... legible...)

as a postscript, I don't use Twitter, Facebook, and very rarely Reddit as I find them useless. I prefer a nice old fashioned forum like this one.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:39:26 PM by grant »

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4071 on: November 29, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
Happy to agree to disagree. I wasn't singling you out as lazy, but I consider it a lazy trend that I've noticed going on for years online, to the point where it seems if there's no TL;DR summary people's eyes mist over. Again, not speaking to you personally, but if your (general your) time is so precious that a detailed post is too risky to dedicate to, then you shouldn't be on a forum wasting it. :P

Anyway, that's enough off topic I suppose!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4072 on: November 29, 2015, 03:46:37 PM »
Yes, cheers. No offence, glad we can discuss and disagree civilly.  ;)

Also - agreed - enough of this stuff, back to bashing GW!  lol
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:02:28 PM by grant »

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #4073 on: November 29, 2015, 04:35:40 PM »
I admit that I'm hesitating posting a thread about the 30k Night Lords project that I'm embarking on for the reasons that have been discussed on this thread.

I'd say the Stormcast Eternals thread is a good indicator of what kind of response is fair to all parties to expect: Overwhelmingly positive and constructive, with only some very mild comments to the effect of "The figures are [not my cup of tea / dauntingly expensive], but great paintjobs! How did you do those golds?" and a bit of light-hearted, good-natured taking-of-the-piss (directed at GW, not Ray) to the effect of "Not enough skulls and spikes! :D ". A picture scanned from White Dwarf had to be deleted to preempt GW's aggressive copyright lawyers, which was no-one's fault. There's also a bit of debate about whether the figures look like fantasy versions of 40K Space Marines or not, but as that was mostly initiated by Ray himself I don't count it as a negative, "undesired" aspect of the thread.

Overall, IMO, nothing that went beyond the pale.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4074 on: November 29, 2015, 04:41:09 PM »
Personally, I quite enjoy lengthier posts if they're well written and deliver some content (unlike most of my scatter-brained shot-gun meltdowns).

I'm essentially in line with most other folks here:

1) Grew up on GW products
2) Eventually faded from GW products due to game changes, crazy prices
3) Would like to see GW become cool again
4) Dislike their current business style and game selection

I don't think anyone here wouldn't love to see GW succeed.  No one wants to see a game company fail.  I'd still hop into some of the older games if provided an option.  Heck I picked up my first space marine models in 15 years (the HH plastics) simply based on nostalgia.  I'd pick up Warhammer Quest pretty quick if they re-released it, maybe even a Necromunda or Mordheim box (maaaaybe).

GW has heaps of fans, ex-fans, or could-be-fans who'd gladly toss money at them if they thought it was well spent.  $28 bottles of spray paint fly in the face of that.  It's hard as a customer to not look at some of GW's efforts and think "are they trying to keep me from buying this?".  They just very often strike me as a company who has no idea what they're doing.  There was a podcast which stated (not sure the source) that GW's "hobby equipment" outsold the old Warhammer fantasy range a few years.  More people bought paints and brushes than actual miniatures for Warhammer Fantasy.

(mind...blown)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Dim_Reaper

« Reply #4075 on: November 29, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
I don't think anyone here wouldn't love to see GW succeed.  No one wants to see a game company fail.

This. TLDR: ^

(EDIT: Sorry if I stopped the discussion, but I just couldn't resist)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:45:22 PM by Dim_Reaper »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4076 on: November 30, 2015, 06:21:42 AM »
Is Slaanesh dead (or yet to be born or reborn or whatever)?
The beastie Archaon is riding has a Khorne head, a Tzeentch one and a Nurgle...

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4077 on: November 30, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »
As far as I understood Slaanesh is indeed out of the equation. Killed or captured by the elves and bassicly replaced by the horned Rat.
Some angry voices claim this is to make the line more family friendly, but *insert boobage vs Gore discussion here*.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline -DE-

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4078 on: November 30, 2015, 06:59:26 AM »
Is Slaanesh dead (or yet to be born or reborn or whatever)?
The beastie Archaon is riding has a Khorne head, a Tzeentch one and a Nurgle...

Apparently, the heads belong to the three champions of the chaos gods Archaon managed to get the better of. Slaanesh is MIA and failed to send his own, hence no slaaneshi head on the mount.

His symbol is still visible on Archaon's shield and the model packaging, so he's evidently not out.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4079 on: November 30, 2015, 09:12:38 AM »
Maybe they're just waiting to see if they can recruit Brother Vinni to do up a new line of Slaaneshi figures.  ;D

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.