Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:49:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694594
  • Total Topics: 118619
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734091 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4095 on: December 01, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
Back in the early 90's slaanesh (Spelling?) was fine. Any boobies shown were more like udders on a sow TBH. All they needed to do was tone it down to a PG level.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4096 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:06 PM »
My biggest issue with the GW pricing is that it's inconsistent and they occasionally release products which undermine the entire line of miniatures.

For $126 USD in the HH box you get the following:

-Two character figures
-Five terminators w/ additional arm options
-A dreadnought w/ arm options
-30 tactical marines including arm options, leaders, combi-weapons, heavy weapons, special weapons and extra kit.
-A tabletop game w/ custom dice etc.

If I want a pack of six Eldar Striking Scorpions I shell out $35 (matching the discount on the HH box, they're listed at $42)--- and I believe they're in super-not-gamer-friendly-resin. (did we mention Eldar players can no longer buy Aspect Warriors - their key infantry figures - in anything other than finecast...)

That's a disparity without even going to other companies.

What bugs me is that I even bought the HH box.  It's not a matter of "man I like your stuff but the prices are so high".  The prices are borderline insulting and it really makes me not want to support the company on those grounds alone.  Even though the HH box is a good deal, it made me die inside a little to support the company which I used to really enjoy.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4097 on: December 02, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
Interesting side note, Forgeworld sells bundels of their products and betrayal at calth. Most of them chapter specific bodies and pads to fit the set (not a bad idea) but also a bundle of three sets and a bunch of vehicles, so that gets you the actual game trice, just to get a decent number of 30K marines.  o_o
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #4098 on: December 03, 2015, 05:53:36 AM »
I keep getting kinda interested in doing up a proxy army of my own design. As in, sculpting a handful of key units, then cranking out a bunch of resin castings. Not for sale, just for myself.

For me it's just the appeal of the creative side: getting to do my own aesthetic take on the abstract lore concepts. Saw someone on another forum who did this for his Necron army, and made them all into hovering Dalek-y things instead of metal skellies. I've got sketches of alternate 'Nids I did ten years ago 'cause I though the dinobug look of the official ones seemed like they should be fighting He-Man instead of terrorizing an entire galaxy of other grimdark doomhorrors. Nids should look like proper pizza nightmares, not something out of Napoleon Dynamite's trapper-keeper.

AAAaaaaaanyway, the weird part is, these days doing this would actually be the cheap option. I could do hundreds for the cost of dozens of the official ones, which are mass manufactured by the thousands. Economy of scale isn't supposed to work like that.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:55:37 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4099 on: December 04, 2015, 10:03:47 PM »
I can never really get over GW pricing. 9 minis for $600.  lol

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Knights-of-Ruin

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4100 on: December 04, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Mechanicum-Ordinatus-Ulator

Take off the tracks, strap a stock on it, and you've got yourself a cosplay weapon right there.
(and a massive dent in your overdraft.)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4101 on: December 04, 2015, 11:09:38 PM »
Unreal.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4102 on: December 05, 2015, 12:12:59 AM »

:-*

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4103 on: December 05, 2015, 12:16:45 AM »
They remind me of these vintage, horrible Tonka action figures:

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4104 on: December 05, 2015, 02:03:55 AM »
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Mechanicum-Ordinatus-Ulator

Take off the tracks, strap a stock on it, and you've got yourself a cosplay weapon right there.
(and a massive dent in your overdraft.)

What's this 'volkite' thing I see attached to new 40K guns? I noticed Space Marines got grav guns a while back. Any relation?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4105 on: December 05, 2015, 07:00:45 AM »
What's this 'volkite' thing I see attached to new 40K guns? I noticed Space Marines got grav guns a while back. Any relation?

Literally no idea!  lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #4106 on: December 05, 2015, 09:21:17 AM »
Hadn't even spotted that one yet.  lol The gravity gun was the latest addition I was aware of. Did a quick search and this was the best info I could find:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Volkite_Weapon

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4107 on: December 05, 2015, 09:42:09 AM »
I might be interested in a Chaos knight or two... I think they could make great deamonic mounts or even Nightmares for Vampire Counts. That's a price and parts-count dependent comment though.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4108 on: December 05, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
Think they are a box set of 3 for 60 GBPs.

Looking at them compared to the Stormcast archers... they are massive models... which is another reason I so grove with these minis. At 40mm all the AoS models are quite massive. This allows me to paint every little detail without my eyes bleeding. They have upwards to double the surface to paint but because of their size it means even if I paint my heros exactly the same way as my normal troops they just pop right out as being what they are... heros. So you don't have to given them special treatment, just paint them like your normal troops and if you have a level of painting quality better than novice they come looking spectacular.

I finished my Prosecutors and they look awesome. I am working on Lord Relictor and there is just no doubt that he is a Hero mini (the detail is amazing), and you will be able to tell that instantly when you plop them on the table top because even at a distance they just scream at you for attention.

AoS is my first foray into both fantasy and skirmish gaming and my feeling is that GW is going to redefine how folks view skirmish fantasy wargaming. I mean if you are going to paint up only a limited amount of miniatures (a warband), why go with 28mm? You paint them up nice and they get lost in all the terrain. That won't happen with AoS.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4109 on: December 05, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »
Well, for me, the bigger the figures, the smaller the battlefield - and even if your fighting takes place in only one bit of the board, more space gives at least an idea of freedom for lots of moving about and varied scenarios. The epitome of this is in Jevenkah and Teshub's battle reports where there's lots of room for moving and for a story to develop significantly in one battle.