Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734169 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4230 on: December 11, 2015, 05:32:52 PM »
Gew-gaws don't complete sculpts or bring anything to the model.  They are a crutch to fill empty spaces or models that just weren't that interesting to begin with.

Oh yes.

(BTW, found the bits, but as with most things from bits sellers, they're out of stock.)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4231 on: December 11, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
It's like someone seeing a work of art they know they're not talented enough to improve on or even match, so instead of just maintaining it or leaving it for others to admire, they decide to destroy it in a fit of envy, hoping people will forget it.

You just summed up the taggers I have graffiti wars with perfectly Cubs.

and getting back on track the new models are too busy. Makes them too difficult to paint and looks pants. Why is it so? Well I suspect is the teaching of 3d sculpting has a lot to answer for in this department.

Back in the day if you wanted to be an artist or sculptor you got some sort of education in art as part of learning your craft. One of the things they taught was composition. Designing things in such a way as to  be pleasing to the eye.

Now it is very different. From first hand experience I can assure you many 3d people have zero knowledge of the craft of making art. Their 3d knowledge is all from a technical direction (which is understandable as many of the programs are harder to fly than a NASA space shuttle simulator, I have done both so trust me on this one) due to this omission in their education they lack core fundamentals like anatomy, composition, colour theory etc etc.

So while they can construct amazing things due to their tech side learning their final product is so often less than pleasing to the eye due to a rank deficiency of artistic fundamentals.

The very best 3d artists are a rare breed that have a foot in both camps. They know art and also can work the program to make it happen.

A stupidly good example of awesome technical 3d ability combined with zero art smarts are the transformers movies. The robots are mostly a confusing blur of whirling and shifting things and most of the fight scenes look like they filmed scrap metal jumbling about in a clothes dryer. They are so stupidly busy that any interesting individual detail is lost in a maelstrom of general OTT detail

Well now we've gone full circle, i'm sure I said the same thing about a hundred pages back ;D

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4232 on: December 12, 2015, 06:39:42 AM »
Well now we've gone full circle, i'm sure I said the same thing about a hundred pages back ;D

Its Christmas Season, repeats are compulsory, at least here in the UK... ;D

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #4233 on: December 12, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
Cor blimey Mary Poppins I can remember when citadel miniatures were tuppence a bag.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4234 on: December 12, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
Must say I'm rather impressed with the new Gaunt Summoner:

Great sculpt with nice detailing and the focus clearly is on HIM and not on some stupid oversized mount or vehicle. And really Tzeentchian too.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline nullBolt

• Bookworm
    • nullBolt
« Reply #4235 on: December 12, 2015, 09:27:08 PM »

Great sculpt with nice detailing and the focus clearly is on HIM and not on some stupid oversized mount or vehicle. And really Tzeentchian too.

Unfortunate there's nowhere to place him in a 40k force.

Tzeentch Daemonkin when?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #4236 on: December 12, 2015, 09:46:54 PM »

Yes its very nice, but now I want it for tuppence a bag guv'nor

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4237 on: December 12, 2015, 09:47:22 PM »
I like it too. even though it is a new daemon, you could use it as a regular tzeentch champ.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4238 on: December 12, 2015, 10:24:33 PM »
I have to say Scurv, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the shortcomings of a lot of 3d designed stuff.

You have written the post, that I was getting around to posting, so thank you for that :) Funnily enough It was the Transformers that I was going to use as an example of designs that are hard to read, that is what those chaos knights remind me of, they are all a blur visually.

@horridperson, agree with your comments on gesture line drawings...The thing is, these basics aren't hard to learn, harder to master, yes, but the basics can be found in books about drawing the figure in action- and of course drawing your design surely should be how you start...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4239 on: December 13, 2015, 12:07:50 AM »

Agreed - a fantastic model. For me it captures a lot of the old-school Chaos, it has a good compostition, and it looks nicely posed. It is £24 though, which is pretty damn steep, but I could probably justify that for a General model like this.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4240 on: December 13, 2015, 03:52:14 AM »
Agreed it is nice; old school, cool, and - dare I say - not even too obscenely expensive?

But what's the point if Warhammer is dead. If 6th or 7th were still live, this would be a must-buy; for AoS, what's the point? None, I say.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline nullBolt

• Bookworm
    • nullBolt
« Reply #4241 on: December 13, 2015, 04:02:38 PM »
Link to interview with Rick Priestley about GW

Quote from: Rick Priestley
It’s a game with a future, which I don’t think 40K is.

Rick seems to confirm a lot of the stuff people suspected about GW's operating practices through the article.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 05:00:56 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #4242 on: December 13, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
“The studio, the creative part of Games Workshop, had always been kept apart from the sales part of it. One thing Bryan said was that if the sales people got to be in charge of the studio, it would destroy the studio, and that’s exactly what happened.”
Sadly, it's a reality that affects a lot of entertainment industries these days.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4243 on: December 13, 2015, 06:26:49 PM »
Sadly, it's a reality that affects a lot of entertainment industries these days.

"Let's remake Point Break!"

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4244 on: December 13, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
The gaunt guy reminds me of the Mouth of Sauron from Peter Jackson's LOTR films or maybe something from Benicio Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth).