Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:30:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734161 times)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4710 on: March 26, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »
Looks like you have survived.  ;)

Empire is the third largest of the Order ranges, so there's no reason to believe they are being squatted - or should we say Bretted?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4711 on: March 26, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »
Looks like you have survived.  ;)

Empire is the third largest of the Order ranges, so there's no reason to believe they are being squatted - or should we say Bretted?
But the concept of the Empire as such is lost - it's not just the models in isolation, it's the background which they just scrunched up (almost literally!) and threw away. I hate to admit it, but the Empire was what got me to read up about central Europe in the 15th-17th century for the first time after secondaery school, some years - ulp, decades! - ago.

On another note - a £10.00 note, in fact - I went through the entire 8 or 9 pages of to be discontinued stuff, and found one item which warranted purchase, the set of 4 metal drunken dwarves, which I always liked but had never bought. £10.75, not cheap but reasonable enough, until I saw the shipping to Malta: ten quid for four small sozzled gents!  :o I've had AFVs with troops delivered from the UK for less. I guess it's a binning method for grouping everything up to x kg in a category, probably to make one want to buy more to at least get more for the postage cost. Not working this time. I'll get some Guinness and do the drinking bit myself instead...

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4712 on: March 26, 2016, 10:08:29 AM »
So all the previous copies of the rules/background have been destroyed too, preventing you from playing in the setting of your choosing? I did not realise GW's evil grip was so powerful.

There's always Total Warhammer, not long to wait now.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4713 on: March 26, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »
So all the previous copies of the rules/background have been destroyed too, preventing you from playing in the setting of your choosing? I did not realise GW's evil grip was so powerful.

There's always Total Warhammer, not long to wait now.

No, that's not what I meant - I have a pile of empire stuff, and all the rules I want - and army books with background.
What I was trying to express - inadequately, I guess - is that it's a shame GW gave that up, I think it was an asset to the company and  to the hobby: the Empire, some of the human Dogs of War and Bretonnians are the closest to historical troops, and some of them could stand in for historical models at a pinch and if you're ok with cinematic representation of historical troop as opposed to accurate, and can lead to a different aspect of the hobby.

Whatever GW is and does, I owe it to them to get into gaming and have no regrets about that. I loved some of their work; and I still can feel sad when they throw away something which has value. I accept that WH was not making money, but I can't help feeling that better solutions could have been found. 

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4714 on: March 26, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »
But....they have not given up on the Empire, it's still there, third largest faction, etc. Their range has suffered far less than others - knights and militia gone, plus a handful of characters. Everything else is still there. I'm not happy about what they did to WHFB, but it's still there, got loads of toys I can use, looking forward to Total Warhammer.

To be honest, there is so much historical around that can be picked up cheap - Perry, Fireforge, etc that I dont really see the retirement of these couple of boxes and a handful of characters of that much of a catastrophe. And if you are a fan of metals, then there's dozens of other companies you can buy from.

Chin up, it's not the end of the worlde. Oh wait...... ;)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4715 on: March 26, 2016, 02:37:20 PM »

Chin up, it's not the end of the worlde. Oh wait...... ;)
I see what you did there  :D

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4716 on: March 27, 2016, 10:16:30 AM »
Here's something to cheer you up (or maybe depress you further), some lovely brushwork on the older Empire figures.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/395339

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4717 on: March 27, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »
Here's something to cheer you up (or maybe depress you further), some lovely brushwork on the older Empire figures.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/395339
Very nice - thanks for the link. Those ogres are grand, as are the knights and the dogs - but it's always the larger units of foot troops whichmake an Empire army for me.  8) 8) 8)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4718 on: March 27, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
Lost patrol has been announced on the website, £35.
So instead of hiding everything until a week before release, they're trying out giving the customer information beforehand! 
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline throwsFireball

• Scientist
« Reply #4719 on: March 27, 2016, 05:30:17 PM »
Lost patrol has been announced on the website, £35.
So instead of hiding everything until a week before release, they're trying out giving the customer information beforehand! 

I guess Kirby was literally the problem.

What a moron.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #4720 on: March 27, 2016, 05:33:05 PM »
Not convinced about that game, doesn't look as compelling a buy as some of the more recent efforts. Certainly the minis are nothing to get excited about. I suppose the price tag is a bit more affordable, but if I was in the market for figures I would look at Betrayal at Calth or Deathwatch Overkill, which seem far better value.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4721 on: March 27, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
I guess Kirby was literally the problem.

What a moron.

It's really beginning to seem that way. I went info my local gw yesterday and despite still not hitting me with that same joy it used too (maybe working in a game store makes me immune?) it was good to see leaflets on the counter. People's drawings on the wall,campaign posters and people's armies in the display cases.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4722 on: March 27, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
Not convinced about that game, doesn't look as compelling a buy as some of the more recent efforts. Certainly the minis are nothing to get excited about. I suppose the price tag is a bit more affordable, but if I was in the market for figures I would look at Betrayal at Calth or Deathwatch Overkill, which seem far better value.

I agree, but I think they're trying to stage boxed games at various price levels.  A lot of folks won't go into a shop and buy their kid $150 board game...but a $60 game is a bit more palatable.  Maybe a decent intro game for newer players.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4723 on: March 27, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
Well, it's probably too early for such wild speculation, but perhaps we'll see a Warhammer Fantasy relaunch in a few years when they've sorted their shit out a bit.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4724 on: March 27, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »
One of the podcasts I was listening to indicated GW wanted to get back into the tournament scene - and had mentioned introducing a "points system" for AoS.  I suspect you won't see a fantasy re-launch, but perhaps optional rules, or a add-on "AoS: Regiments" or something which will introduce a bit more of the bulk unit tactical play.

I do think the dice have been cast though, there isn't enough purchase support for massed rank-n-file fantasy gaming...at least the way they were going.  I think we'll see a lot of development in AoS but I doubt we'll see a return to classic Fantasy.