Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:01:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694581
  • Total Topics: 118617
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733945 times)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #4920 on: May 07, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
I hope they improve the combat rules! WQ is pretty rubbish in that regard. It's not much fun in a four player game to finally get your turn, roll one dice and miss the attack. Turn over.

If in a game all you'll get to do for a turn is attack, you'll need a fun combat system. Even the bloated Age of Sigmar combat system would give a more enjoyable game. 3 rounds of (lots of) dice rolling for a mass combat game is pretty daft, but for WQ it would add a bit of suspense.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4921 on: May 07, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
I agree, while I love WHQ it was the party development/character development and the way they managed dungeons which was great - not the fighting (heck even multiple wounds for everything from a Goblin and up was a bit silly).  I could see people scooping it up if it has:

A) a ton of miniatures
B) WHQ style room cards (particularly if you can use them with the original WHQ)
C) if it's a full on re-launch of the hugely in depth full WHQ experience
D) stupidly cheap for the miniatures (ie. includes a bunch of large Daemons or new Daemons)

The title for the box itself makes the decision for me.  The fact that Silver Tower is the main word with Warhammer Quest shrunk above indicates it's a "WHQ-esque" game and not Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower (ie. a proper expansion or relaunch).  Just my guess.  :)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4922 on: May 07, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »
Can't see "D" happening I'm afraid to say. Cheap compared to GW standards, yes, but not stupidly cheap. :)

Offline Queeg

• Scientist
« Reply #4923 on: May 07, 2016, 10:39:11 PM »
I hope they improve the combat rules! WQ is pretty rubbish in that regard. It's not much fun in a four player game to finally get your turn, roll one dice and miss the attack. Turn over.

Oddly enough we found it a great social game. My brother and his girlfriend, the wife and brother in law used to have a WQ game every month or so for alooong time ...... of course it was a loooong time ago too :)

And we added a penalty to the rolling of a "1" by having to nip scull a zambucca .... great game.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4924 on: May 07, 2016, 10:47:30 PM »
 lol awesome rule. To be honest I'm not surprised it isn't in the AoS rules considering some of the strange things they have in there... Then again target market...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4925 on: May 07, 2016, 11:38:36 PM »
Oddly enough we found it a great social game. My brother and his girlfriend, the wife and brother in law used to have a WQ game every month or so for alooong time ...... of course it was a loooong time ago too :)

And we added a penalty to the rolling of a "1" by having to nip scull a zambucca .... great game.

We always found having a full round of missing during heroquest to be amazingly funny, and we still do.Even more so now actually, since we have the advanced adult vocabulary needed to properly mock the person rolling.  lol
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #4926 on: May 11, 2016, 03:47:29 AM »
There is a lot of info here: http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2016/05/warhammer-quest-pics-and-release.html

And some good pics here: http://imgur.com/a/8J7y5

There is an official AoS bookface page, where they have posted studio pics of all the heroes: https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/

Looks like retail will be $150USD for 51 miniatures... roughly $3 each on average is a pretty decent price by GW standards.  Looking forward to this release! I will likely pick this up, just maybe not right away.  I have a feeling next year's earnings report for GW will be quite good. It seems like all these boxed sets are selling like hotcakes.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4927 on: May 11, 2016, 06:15:01 AM »
There is a lot of info here: http://natfka.blogspot.ca/2016/05/warhammer-quest-pics-and-release.html

And some good pics here: http://imgur.com/a/8J7y5

There is an official AoS bookface page, where they have posted studio pics of all the heroes: https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/

Looks like retail will be $150USD for 51 miniatures... roughly $3 each on average is a pretty decent price by GW standards.  Looking forward to this release! I will likely pick this up, just maybe not right away.  I have a feeling next year's earnings report for GW will be quite good. It seems like all these boxed sets are selling like hotcakes.

They also seem to be keeping these game in stock and not having them limited edition which is a bonus.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4928 on: May 11, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »
Well, I'm probably out.  I do think people are going to scoop this up though for the figures.  The price is probably a good bit cheaper than buying up Chaos stuff in boxes ---- not to mention if they're smart several of the heroes etc. will be proprietary sculpts.  Sad to see the board tiles don't use doorways and they're super-extreme Tzeentch.  I'll wait and see what the other side of the cards are like (only 13 tiles is pretty shallow, but they're double-sided).

Over-the-top AoS stuff and very limited cross-over for normal dungeon crawls is probably going to keep me away.  Most notably I didn't see anything about a role-play book in the contents listing.

Sadly, it is pretty much exactly what I was expecting.  Ie. not a whole lot.  lol

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #4929 on: May 11, 2016, 04:13:58 PM »
At least the mechanics look more interesting than the original. Seems to be some kind of Saga-esque resource management with dice rolled allowing certain actions and the dice/action pool being reduced by wounds and stuns.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #4930 on: May 11, 2016, 04:51:10 PM »
I just saw a rumour that the "Warhammer Quest" boxed game and expansions will also be sold in other retail outlets just like the "Battle for Vedros" 40k starter sets to draw in new kids. I could see that being successful... though the price point on Warhammer Quest is a bit higher...

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #4931 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
Perhaps GW is trying to get in touch with those who played Heroquest as kids and haven't set foot in a hobby stores in ages.
Nostalgic parents maybe?

The price point seems too high to get kids into the hobby.
Do kids still play board games these days?
I don't think that parents will shell $150 for a board game. Specially one that comes with unassembled miniatures.

Maybe if they get hooked on miniature gaming through Battle of Vedros, they might be tempted to try other games.
Maybe GW could do a fantasy line based on BoV to reach a younger audience instead of a big expansive box.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #4932 on: May 11, 2016, 08:45:41 PM »
I dunno... let's not forget that the GW target demographic is not the super-thrifty. Also, considering the amount parents shell out for video games (I remember friends who would have shelves filled with dozens of video games at $50 each...), they may feel better investing in something that provides more tangible results (ie imaginative and artistic skills) than simply pushing buttons on a controller. I know I would with my kids (though I admit my opinion is skewed towards tabletop games). Besides, how many hours does the average video gaming teenager spend on most games before they get bored and want a new one? Don't most console games nowadays have only like 10 hours of playtime?

But who knows... maybe GW will make some smaller sized fantasy starter sets. There is talk of them continuing with the WQ line, so they could make addons or quickstart games or something. With all the GW IP being used in video games and mainstream media, I would hope that at worst they could recoup their investment in such an idea.

Offline Queeg

• Scientist
« Reply #4933 on: May 11, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
Interesting set. I'm old school though and kinda miss the rats, mummys and skeletons.

Also, it was hard enough getting the original minis all painted for a game. there's no way the average player is getting those (display orientated) minis painted to a standard anywhere near what GW is showing. Don't get me wrong, when painted to cmon standard they look very enticing. I could probably paint them (as could many here) to that standard if I spent enough time on them, but heck, if I was going to spend that amount of time there's soooooo many other things I'd rather invest the bench time in.

Can't help thinking that with the "these are the most detailed minis ever released in a boxed game" thing that they're kinda missing the point of a fun, beer'n'zambucca boxed game.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:37:08 AM by Queeg »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4934 on: May 12, 2016, 12:34:43 AM »
I got to have a rummage through the store copy today.I can't say much but i can say i will be buying it, it looks fun and the rules seem nice. the pictures don't do the figures justice, and the familiars are a great resculpting of the classic chaos familiar figures.