Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742549 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5055 on: June 11, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »
@ Onebigriver:

I apologise, despite my quoting your post, I was actually speaking more generally as I see these comments often.

Except I already said that there do not seem to be decent alternatives, in terms of consistency, colour, flow etc.

Did you check out my suggestion?

If you did, you'll know that you can control all those elements to make the exact wash you want (and in any colour you need). All they are is water, acrylic medium, retarder, some flow improver, and a tiny amount of pigment (paint or ink). Changing the ratios changes the washes' properties.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #5056 on: June 11, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
The Coat D'Arms range seem to suffer from an identity crisis - are they inks or washes? Kind of important to know which in terms of drying times!

They have both inks and ('super') washes. Ironically their inks are more like GW washes than their washes are, though that's not saying much. Been a while since I used them in anger, but I had a very strong first impression that CDA washes were little more than watered-down paint.

I have an old test pic here; different GW and CDA inks and washes on a white-primed termagant:

http://www.cheddarmongers.org/prod/pic/Vermis/scifi/CDAwash.jpg.html

There's a bit more explanation on the page, but look at the middle shot in particular. CDA mid-brown wash on the spinefist (also on the carapace in the top pic), and CDA chestnut ink on the middle leg and ribcage. The ink is less blotchy, at least, IMO.
Compare them to the watered-down GW snakebite leather on the face, then to the (old) GW washes on the carapace plates, and the GW flesh wash ink on the tail and hindleg.

Then there are the super shaders, three shades in bigger pots that seem to be competitors to the Army Painter dips. The dark brown does have that polyurethane-y varnish look. The black seems thinner, more of a blackliner than a shader, perhaps. They work pretty nicely, IMO.

If you did, you'll know that you can control all those elements to make the exact wash you want (and in any colour you need). All they are is water, acrylic medium, retarder, some flow improver, and a tiny amount of pigment (paint or ink). Changing the ratios changes the washes' properties.

I'd have to agree. I've had pretty good results myself, with Daler-Rowney matt gel glazing medium*, some kind of flow improver, and of course water and paint/ink.

* I don't know if it has to be Daler-Rowney, or glazing medium, but I think the thicker gel consistency helps make the wash more transparent while keeping some amount of body to stop the stuff pooling too much. (Even when thinned, though it can be thinned too much)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 03:39:54 PM by Vermis »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5057 on: June 11, 2016, 04:09:31 PM »
I just used the VMC yellow ink and like the red it dries with a smooth gloss finish which makes painting on top a bit of a pain....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5058 on: June 11, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
They have both inks and ('super') washes. Ironically their inks are more like GW washes than their washes are, though that's not saying much. Been a while since I used them in anger, but I had a very strong first impression that CDA washes were little more than watered-down paint.

Many years ago now I ended up with a full set of CdA fantasy paints and I found their 'inks' to be utter garbage unfortunately. At the time GW were still using water based inks for their washes and having used GW inks back in the late 80's as well I was rather surprised that the CdA range was supposed to be the same as the old GW stuff. Bang on with thinking the CdA inks are little more than paint washes as that's exactly how they seemed to me as well.

For what it's worth I really like the current GW washes. I know you can mix your own equivalents and all that arsing around but for sheer convenience I'll take a pot of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade every time.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5059 on: June 11, 2016, 05:13:43 PM »
I bought CdA Ink Wash Flesh hoping it was like the old Citadel Flesh Wash Ink and it was horrible. I've no idea what the hell it was supposed to be.

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #5060 on: June 11, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
Looks like the ruins of osgiliath have been rereleased, £18

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5061 on: June 11, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
Looks like the ruins of osgiliath have been rereleased, £18

Awesome!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5062 on: June 11, 2016, 08:12:23 PM »
Excellent - I hope they release another set to accompany the ruins and add variety.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5063 on: June 11, 2016, 08:27:32 PM »
No they're not. For some reason Army Painter call them inks, but Army Painter Dark, Strong and Soft Tone washes seem like a direct equivalent of the GW washes to me - I've used both.

So enraged was I by your knaveish challenge to my authoritah, that I made a point of getting my AP inks out when I was at the desk and ... you're absolutely right! I've been using them as an ink for years now, even a slightly watery ink. I squeezed a bit out and yes, it was a thin ink. Then I noticed a good quarter inch of sludge still in the dropper bottle, I popped a couple of little ball bearings in and gave it a good shake. Then when I squeezed some out it was indeed a nice, viscous wash.

Well raise my rent. Yet another day when I'm sure I'm right and end up being wrong, and all the richer for it. I'm chuffed to bits now, because I've got three bottles of the stuff!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:36:35 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5064 on: June 11, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
Excellent - I hope they release another set to accompany the ruins and add variety.

I just went on their website and it seems to be 'currently out of stock'. I guess a lot of people went for them! I've even gone and got an account so I can be notified when they come back in stock.

I'm on a constant lookout for good, realistic, medieval or semi-fantasy stone ruins, and I haven't yet found what I'm looking for. I've always admired this set though, and think it's definitely worth getting now its apparently available again. I plan to base it up and cover it with vines and bushes for a really overgrown effect.

GW, if you are listening, please release lots more good quality ruins WITHOUT all the skulls and such! They will sell like hot cakes.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5065 on: June 11, 2016, 09:34:35 PM »
@Cubs- Even better value, a wash and a thin ink! :D

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5066 on: June 15, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »
White Dwarf is going back to monthly!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5067 on: June 15, 2016, 01:49:30 PM »
I placed an order for the Eldar "Start Collecting" box which was just advertised for pre-order.  A Fire Prism, three jetbikes and a farseer on a jetbike.   Not too bad for $64 bucks. It's actually about perfect since those are units I don't have for my army.  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5068 on: June 15, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
White Dwarf is going back to monthly!

What was it previously? I stopped buying them 15 years ago.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5069 on: June 15, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »
What was it previously? I stopped buying them 15 years ago.

Weekly for a little while.