Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 03:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696473
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1741885 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5370 on: October 15, 2016, 11:22:25 PM »
Ahh. I only looked at the Kasrkin squad. Sadly with the expected re-release of necromunda I doubt we'll see them any time soon. Although maybe after Necromunda is released they might re-release the old gangs shortly after. Which would be a good move I would think.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5371 on: October 15, 2016, 11:34:00 PM »
Can you blame GW though?  There is a thriving Oldhammer market who is buying stuff for occasionally ridiculous prices on eBay.  I can't fault them for it at all --- and if I was in dire need of a certain model or two I'd probably be tempted.

I think it's pretty genius of GW cashing in on this phenomenon.

PS: I see this as a bonus as well because it will curtail some of the eBay insanity (though it'll return as these made-to-order are limited time only, and plenty of people will buy them and flip them for 150-200% of the cost later on eBay anyway).

Funny enough, I've been buying and selling on eBay quite a lot the last few weeks, and something that has struck me is how quiet the market is on the 'Oldhammer' stuff at the moment. I don't know if this is a temporary phenomenon or part of a trend, but the silly BIN prices are still there, yet the actual sold lots seem to be going for much less than a year or so ago.

I picked up a model for £8 last week that went for £40 a few months ago (there's one that's been asking £120 on a BIN for as long as I can remember). I'm trying to sell a lot at the mo for a little over £2 per model and not a nibble. It seems almost ... deserted right now. Maybe it's just a result of the silly BIN prices driving buyers away so there's less 'passing trade' on the other stuff. Or maybe it's that the bulk of the Oldhammer trading has moved onto dedicated sites where you get people buying and selling for reasonable prices. Who knows. 
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5372 on: October 16, 2016, 01:17:58 AM »
Yep, I concur. I've sold $2700+ worth of old metals for a friend (ex-GW store manager) over the past few months, and the prices are not criminal...and some stuff is hard to shift.  However, I think with so many projects going on, I suspect there are plenty of people willing to pay $12-15 to get a figure to complete their set, or a squad or army etc.  I think the Oldhammer trading sites on Facebook are more productive.  While Oldhammer is a big movement as far as enthusiasm goes a lot of that is directed at people pulling boxed armies out of an attic and painting those, vs. buying them.

It is worth noting that the Oldhammer stuff in the UK is far more reasonable than anything here in the states.  You guys have far more stuff sitting around in shops/attics than we do in the states.  Some stuff is rare as hens teeth here, and I see people in the UK saying "Well I swung by the charity shop and picked up this box full of minis for a tenner...".  We find nothing like that here unless you raid a buddy's old stash!  lol
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:20:39 AM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5373 on: October 16, 2016, 01:55:21 AM »
I picked up two like new Specialty Sets Warriors of Law and Warriors of Chaos for less than 30 each.  So that's about 3 per mini and they were never painted.  Plus the boxes and inserts. I think in a moment of craziness I paid 15 just for Harry the Hammer... in far worse shape.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5374 on: October 16, 2016, 03:39:55 AM »
I think they'd have been better off doing Fantasy first, because that's where the real fanatics are (namely because a lot of those model lines are dead).

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5375 on: October 16, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
 However, I think with so many projects going on, I suspect there are plenty of people willing to pay $12-15 to get a figure to complete their set, or a squad or army etc.

True. I paid £15 for the (admittedly quite rare) champion from the Orc Black Mountain Boys Regiment of Renown, whereas I'd paid around £3-ish for each of the other models.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5376 on: October 16, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
Yeah, the prices of 80's and 90's Citadel stuff seem to go down to a more realistic level, probably due to the fact that a: the collector market again is saturated and b: AoS is there to stay and KoW or the 9th Age aren't that big yet.
I think it's a good thing GW re-releases their classics, I like to be able to buy what I want when I want it, the only thing is the price asked, and I won't pay their prices for a specific model, since my want list is too long already...
But GW is doing something right at the moment, it seems, and that's a good thing  :).
Leadhead

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5377 on: October 16, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
Yep, I feel fortunate that Eldar hardly ever get new models so I've been able to find a crap ton of 2nd ed. models on eBay (not for cheap, but available).  If I played an army with more characters or limited models/figures I'd be stoked about the chance to pick up some long lost heroes...but alas the entire Eldar range is pretty much available second hand.

Now, as I said before - if Necromunda/Mordheim appear...that could spell a little trouble for me.  lol  I'd also like some metal arbites if they make them available (would be a great mix with the new Genestealer Cult stuff ----I think that should have been the actual boxed game for Deathwatch personally).

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5378 on: October 16, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »

Now, as I said before - if Necromunda/Mordheim appear...that could spell a little trouble for me.  lol  I'd also like some metal arbites if they make them available (would be a great mix with the new Genestealer Cult stuff ----I think that should have been the actual boxed game for Deathwatch personally).

Ooh I have to agree, that would have made a interesting combo.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5379 on: October 17, 2016, 09:46:48 PM »
Maybe it's just a result of the silly BIN prices driving buyers away so there's less 'passing trade' on the other stuff. Or maybe it's that the bulk of the Oldhammer trading has moved onto dedicated sites where you get people buying and selling for reasonable prices. Who knows.  

As an occasional (OK, a "more than I ought to") eBay buyer over the last couple of years, I've noticed a mass abandonment of the "start at 99p and see how you go" model. It strikes me as very poor psychology on the part of sellers. Rather than hook people with 99p and then have them go "OK, so it's still less than a pint and will give me more entertainment ... OK, so it's still less than an expensive pint ...", current practice prices out fairly disciplined buyers (like me) straight away. And by pricing out some buyers, you're taking pressure off the rest.

There also seem to be many more lots on "eternal rotation". I'm particularly amused by various Grenadier lots that have been coming round for at least a year and which are all still available new and cheaper from Mirliton.

Comparative rarities like Trish Morrison beastmen and lizardmen always seem to go for pretty hefty prices in the end, so I wonder why people start them at a tenner only to get zero bids for week after week.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:36:22 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5380 on: October 17, 2016, 09:53:57 PM »
Don't get me started on eBay computer pricing programs...those things are hilarious. Unfortunately, while good for eBay, it's now just a competitor to Amazon and no longer the source of quality deals between normal people.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5381 on: October 17, 2016, 11:28:29 PM »

Also agree. Arbites would be awesome. They go for silly money on eBay. I always really like those minis but it was before I was able to afford the minis I wanted, when I wanted... so childhood lol.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5382 on: October 18, 2016, 05:20:33 PM »
Why are the Arbites soo expensive? I've used some as proxy judges for my 2000AD project as (I thought)a cheap option to save buying proper judges!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:18:37 AM by Andym »

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5383 on: October 18, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »
Ooooo, those are nice...
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #5384 on: October 18, 2016, 06:06:21 PM »
I feel like ebay has lost a ton of value/interest for me as a buyer since their 'global shipping program' was implemented. Sure there is the odd seller that offers regular postal options, but I hardly ever go on ebay anymore... for that reason mostly.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres