Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:15:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742550 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5565 on: December 13, 2016, 03:26:11 PM »
Around here the battleforce boxes were one per store for preorder, and the Sylvaneth one was out of stock already next week for the regular orders... I was really lucky to get one :)

Lucky bugger!  ;)

Oddly enough Wayland have just put the Sylvaneth battleforce box up as 'awaiting reprint' when they originally didn't even list them. I'm hoping GW are going to restock them because I thought they were a one and done set.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #5566 on: December 17, 2016, 04:02:26 PM »
Well the manager at the local GW kept hold of a Canoness for me, its a resin miniature, why its resin instead of plastic is beyond me, but there's no casting defects, so thats a plus.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5567 on: December 17, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
Plastic is crazy expensive for something they're only going for a limited run.  (and the Sisters players would wig out if a plastic mold was made for Sisters as it would indicate they might actually continue supporting the army).
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #5568 on: December 17, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »
Plastic is crazy expensive for something they're only going for a limited run.  (and the Sisters players would wig out if a plastic mold was made for Sisters as it would indicate they might actually continue supporting the army).

It's not a limited figure though.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5569 on: December 17, 2016, 10:57:46 PM »
They said it would be available for a limited time only, right?.  Now, they could pull a Space Hulk and put her out every 2-3 years...but that's a real waste of a plastic mold which can be pretty damn expensive.  If it were plastic it'd be for constant sale for the next 10+ years.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5570 on: December 18, 2016, 12:34:57 AM »
Well it could be limited time only by saying, you can purchase this all of 2016 and 2017. You can't purchase it between Jan 2018 and March 2018. After that you can purchase it until we go under.  ;)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5571 on: December 19, 2016, 07:08:11 AM »
Upcoming Khorne Dragon from Forgeworld:

“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5572 on: December 19, 2016, 07:49:04 AM »
HOLY S^&TSNACKS!!

I see the Warrior is going to be sat on his back. Undoubtedly wielding some close combat weapon that will never reach any enemy from way up there.
I...
It's just to much. I don't see how this could be of any gaming value and as a display piece it's still way over the top.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5573 on: December 19, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »
HOLY S^&TSNACKS!!

I see the Warrior is going to be sat on his back. Undoubtedly wielding some close combat weapon that will never reach any enemy from way up there.
I...
It's just to much. I don't see how this could be of any gaming value and as a display piece it's still way over the top.

Maybe he is sitting there just to guide the beast ;)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5574 on: December 19, 2016, 08:23:56 AM »
Nicely sculpted but ... Skullz under the skin, really? not much I like about that. Give me the Heresy dragon any day over that.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5575 on: December 19, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
I think the skulls under the skin are a cool idea, chaos should manifest itself in strange ways. The voivod is right though, he is going to need a very long spear.

As for forge world pieces beeing to large to game with, I think crossed and burned that bridge a while back. FW on occasion makes ridiculously large and arguably cool "miniatures" for about the kind of price you would expect. They then humour us by writing some rules for these models. It's silly but I don't mind.

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5576 on: December 19, 2016, 11:41:23 AM »
Age of Sigmar Apocalypse... wait...wasn't that the other way around...??  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5577 on: December 19, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
I just couldn't see sending that much money to Forgeworld when their resin is so spotty.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5578 on: December 19, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
I got the spire of dawn box (I have my ways...)
For £50 it's easily worth the cost.
All the island of blood miniatures, a little booklet containing some fluff from teh elf and skaven points of view, some warscrolls and the AoS rules.
I think it makes a nice alternative starter box for people who are already into the hobby and want to try AoS out, Or for kids who perhaps aren't ready to tackle the big starter box.

It is a little thin in terms of not having any scenarios to play through which is where AOS really shines but i see it as a companion box to the generals handbook, you have the two armies, play a couple of big battle games than use the GHB to expand your play options.

all in all i'd give it a solid 5 stars even if it is a reboxed product, simply because it's good value and a great way to get into the game or to lure friends in that doesn't revolve around khorne and the stormcasts.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5579 on: December 20, 2016, 12:45:28 PM »
all in all i'd give it a solid 5 stars even if it is a reboxed product, simply because it's good value and a great way to get into the game or to lure friends in that doesn't revolve around khorne and the stormcasts.

It's also tremendous value as a army set for non-GW games. I picked up a few of the sprues and some Biostrip-destined figures from my local shop when I got back into gaming, and they're terrific figures. They're also very "mass-battle-friendly", in that the spearmen are (or can be positioned) with their weapons upright. For £50, you get two full-sized (24-point) Hordes of the Things armies with additional options:

Skaven from the following:
6 x hordes @1 point (bases of five skaven infantry, so 30 of the total)
4 x warband @2 points (bases of three of the fiercer-looking skaven infantry with the hero, gunner and beast master thrown in)
2 x behemoth @ 4 points (the rat-ogres - which are just the perfect size for HOTT behemoths)
2 x artillery @ 3 points (flamethrower and mortar crews)
1 x sneaker @ 3 points OR 1 x lurker @ 1 point (the spare skaven infantryman from above, assembled thus):

Or you could configure the infantry as a mix of spears, warbands and/or hordes.

Elves from the following:
3 x spears OR 3 x shooters @ 2 points
3 x blades @ 2 points
1 x aerial hero @ 6 points OR 1 x flyer @ 2 points OR 1 x "dragon" @ 4 points (the griffin-rider)
1 x hero @ 4 points (the mounted leader)
2 x riders @ 2 points (the rest of the cavalry)
1 x magician @ 4 points (the wizard)
2 x cleric @ 3 points OR paladin @ 4 points (any of the command figures left over from the infantry allocations)

Or you could just make a two-figure infantry base with an officer or a standard-bearer.

I'm labouring the point slightly here, but I can't think of a better purchase for someone who wanted to get into HOTT or a similar game.