Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:54:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694581
  • Total Topics: 118617
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733932 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5580 on: December 20, 2016, 01:10:45 PM »
I'm labouring the point slightly here, but I can't think of a better purchase for someone who wanted to get into HOTT or a similar game.

I'd argue any smaller scale will run you less for a more epic army. however within 28mm you are right.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5581 on: December 20, 2016, 01:43:54 PM »
I'd argue any smaller scale will run you less for a more epic army. however within 28mm you are right.

Yes, smaller scales are definitely cheaper. I think HOTT looks best in 28mm, though, given the 3' x 3' playing space and the relatively low model count.

But for "epic", that boxed set is hard to beat, I reckon: you get an aerial hero (or whatever you want to use the griffin as; I'd be tempted to use it as a dragon in HOTT, which would give it that "swoops in to save the day just when the battle looks lost" feel), 2 x artillery, 2 x behemoth, and sundry heroes and magicians. Basically, you get more "specials" than you can legally field in any standard 24-point army. And that gives you plenty of choice.

Actually, now I think about it, you could stretch that boxed set a good deal further if you made the skaven entirely warbands and/or spears: with the command figures, you'd get 14 2-point elements and you could then use the warlock with the musket as a magician. That's 32 points right there, with 8 points of behemoths and 6 points of artillery giving you almost enough for two 24-point armies. And if you turned one warband into two sneaker elements, you'd get past 48 points ...

For the elves, you could base all the infantry two to a base to get 20 points of infantry and 4 points of riders, with another 14 points of magicians and heroes.

So that's potentially three and a half HOTT armies for £50. Not bad at all!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5582 on: December 20, 2016, 03:49:59 PM »

As a long time Sisters of Battle fan, color me excited.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5583 on: December 20, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
Yes, smaller scales are definitely cheaper. I think HOTT looks best in 28mm, though, given the 3' x 3' playing space and the relatively low model count.

hmm, I catch your drift. However I personally always felt that HOTT feels a bit strange with only a few models on a base. If there are 3 guys who have rules that are clearly written for a whole regiment in formation.

But that's a discussion for another topic, not the GW one.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5584 on: December 20, 2016, 04:07:28 PM »
Those look sharp!  I want some :) .

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5585 on: December 20, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »
So the big news the last couple of days:  Fall of Cadia

New plastic models (as shown above) and a hopeful movement of the storyline.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5586 on: December 20, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »
That's actually interesting. I know a lot of people who prefer their Warhammer storyline static.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5587 on: December 20, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »
I'm all about moving a story line assuming you don't "End Times" it and destroy everything you've built over the last 25-30 years.  You can do all kinds of story line adjustment without even changing rules or codices/armies/models/etc.  For instance, if Chaos starts beating the sh_t out of the rest of the 40K universe...it doesn't change a single thing (assuming they don't arbitrarily state "Oh, and the Tau were wiped out completely..." etc.) other than the narrative or story to begin your small game of 40K.

The 40K story line has been incredibly stagnant and honestly quite boring for a long time.  Granted GW have ret-conned a lot of stuff and made it terrible in their pursuit of new models and toys - the universe is pretty blase.  For a terribly long time we've had:

Space Marines: Superheros who swoop in to save the day
Imperial Guard: We sit in trenches and die by the millions to showcase the gravity of a situation
Eldar: We zip around on shipworlds and provide the deus ex machina where needed.
Tau: We're communal space farmers with amazing weapons
Chaos: We raid stuff, just don't come near the Eye of Terror, we've outlined it nicely on the map for you
Orks: We inexplicably haven't taken over the galaxy yet
Tyranids: Here's our number, call us when you need a minor story twist or a "near extinction" event of a popular group...then inexplicably disappear.
Dark Eldar: We're space pirates with no genuinely large ambitions...we shouldn't even be a factor.
Sisters of Battle: We're busy praying, don't bug us
Necrons: We flip like a coin and our background changes every six months to fit whatever GW needs.

Really there isn't any over-arching story worth telling at the moment.  Sure the armies are all in positions to engage each other randomly, which is nice for wargaming.  But story?  There isn't one.  I think this is why the Horus Heresy stuff has been quite successful for them - it's an actual story (even though we know the damn ending!).

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5588 on: December 20, 2016, 05:00:41 PM »
@YPU

For years the common most common complaint I could recall was that both Warhammer universes didn't change.  In 40k in particular I remember a couple of world campaign events and successive Chaos codexes promising Abaddon's "next" Black Crusade being just over horizon.  Nothing ever came of it and there was a stagnation that became the norm.

Change is good.  I think it was one of the better decisions to change things within their IPs.  I think it would have been better received had it been incremental.  It didn't translate as well to the formerly stagnant universes and the similarly stagnant, entrenched fan base.  You cook frogs better if you heat the water when they are in it than when try to toss them in when it's at a boil.

The 40k event doesn't feel like as much a boomerang as the fantasy change up because there was an expectation this was supposed to occur for ages.  I don't think that any change would seem as jarring within the sci fi side of the house because the fantasy analogue already experienced such a shift.

I'm rather curious about the whole thing and looking forward to it.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #5589 on: December 20, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »
I've been out of GW stuff for long enough that I don't really care what they do. But like I said some of the 40K players I know were kind of bashing warmachines more mobile storylines, since it was hard to "find your place" in them.

I think elbows has a interesting point on the retcons though. If you are going to change things change forwards, not backwards.  lol

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5590 on: December 20, 2016, 07:01:17 PM »
They look like they're dragging toilet paper behind them. Weird.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5591 on: December 20, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »
As a long time Sisters of Battle fan, color me excited.

Me too, they look great... especially in plastic.

I have a whole army of unpainted sisters, but I'm wondering if I can convert these into female Stormcast Eternals....

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5592 on: December 20, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »
Those Sisters look pretty good.
I reckon that they will sell pretty well.
 8)

I have a whole army of unpainted sisters, but I'm wondering if I can convert these into female Stormcast Eternals....

At first glimpse, that is what I thought they were.
So it should be quite possible to do exactly that.
 8)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5593 on: December 20, 2016, 08:50:38 PM »
Games workshop have been saying in the comments on facebook that they aren't running an end times for 40k, that was strictly confined to fantasy.
This is purely a psu to get add some new narrative to the setting.

And also to give me a sweet new plastic female inquisitor model!
(GW finally making female models with faces that aren't melted and bodies that aren't sinewy leather shoelaces matted together.)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5594 on: December 20, 2016, 11:08:25 PM »
They look like they're dragging toilet paper behind them. Weird.

Not as weird as a big clunky plastic flight stand or a black pole wedged into their nethers.  ;)