Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 06:01:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696560
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1743076 times)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5685 on: December 25, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »
Well, tbh, I don't like my 28mm metals being multiparts too. Recently bought in on a Red Box Games kickstarter, and the wolves and men-at-arms, although beautifully sculpted, are a pain to assemble, so they still are in their respective baggies and I doubt if those MAA will ever get out of them again. Pinning tiny Leadfree metal bits is a disaster in my book, but again, to each his own.
I ordered the Finecast Canoness - not received her yet - just for old time sake, probably won't build her but I will continue to collect a small metal warband of SOB...
Will be interesting to see what the next couple of years will bring. More plastics, will their quality inprove, will digisculpting finally be as good as handschulpting, will GW go on with the plastic or will they still be re-releasing old favorites rather than having resin recasts sold all over the internet...
Left or right, I feel it's a great time to be a wargamer/collector now, with both the old an the new readily available, GW - as a market leader - sort of reanimated and reinvented themselves ( think about what would have happend to our hobby if they went south... ) , kickstarter/indiegogo als platforms to raise funds for creative designers/sculptors who lack the funds to start for themselves etc. etc.... Excellent  :).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 02:48:37 PM by Duncan McDane »
Leadhead

Offline Lovejoy

• Mad Scientist
    • Oathsworn Miniatures
« Reply #5686 on: December 25, 2016, 07:27:18 PM »
Well, tbh, I don't like my 28mm metals being multiparts too.

Agreed - I've made sure all our Burrows & Badgers and Sensible Shoes minis are single piece casts for that reason. Especially with so much crossover from boardgamers these days, multi-part metals just seem like a bad idea to me... plus, I tried to build some Infinity models once, and I still have nightmares... ;)

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #5687 on: December 25, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »
Hehehe aye while those mentioned above do suck to put together it still beats sticking together plastic tanks from Battlefront/GF9 and Perry's DAK/Tommys..

My desk is full of both atm :( ;)

Oh it's a hard life hehe

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5688 on: December 26, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »
I'm assembling some Infinity models (metals!!!) and wishing they were as easy and enjoyable to put together as the GW Stormcast Eternal (evil plastic!!!) I built the other day. I like metal models but sometimes they make me want to jab my scalpel in my neck and end it all in a tribute to Khorne.

THIS^

I'm currently painting the new plastic Khorne Exalted Deathbringer. What an amazingly detailed miniature. A plastic sprue with 7 parts.

Started painting almost 45 years ago... PLASTIC 54mm Historex Napoleonics. So I'm not bothered by material.

Also walls of text go unread... at least from me. But hey, have at it if you want.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5689 on: December 26, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »
THIS^

I'm currently painting the new plastic Khorne Exalted Deathbringer. What an amazingly detailed miniature. A plastic sprue with 7 parts.

Started painting almost 45 years ago... PLASTIC 54mm Historex Napoleonics. So I'm not bothered by material.

Also walls of text go unread... at least from me. But hey, have at it if you want.

I know some people are put off by what seems like a large part count with modern GW plastics but they go together so easily and there's so little clean up needed that you barely notice the number of pieces. Like I mentioned, the Infinity models I've been dealing with come in five pieces which might be on par with a GW plastic model but the amount of clean up, pinning, gap filling and general anger makes for a very different experience. I think a lot of our negative opinions of plastics are perhaps based on experiences with models from 20 years ago rather than modern day plastics. Current day GW plastics make me want to build them.  :)

Any pics of your Deathbringer?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5690 on: December 26, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »
I don't mind the GW plastics, and some are very, very nice. I think a lot of the bad rep they get stems from the late 1990s and early 2000s. In those early years, despite being marketed as such, the "multipose" figure kits weren't really that, especially if the figure wasn't wearing armour of sorts to cover the joints. Many of the figures only worked in a very limited pose spectrum, anatomically, or you would have to do a lot of conversion work to make them look decent, pose-wise.

Those newer figures which were designed with a more limited pose spectrum look much better once assembled.

I'm very strongly focused on metal figures for my "Old without the Hammer" fantasy collection, but mainly because of the nostalgic angle and their specific style, not because they are intrinsically better figures than more modern offerings.

Space Marines in particular have come a long way concerning the plastics. I've still got a huge lot of RT metal stuff to assemble and paint for a pseudonostalgia project, but I would choose the new plastics over those since they are rather sharp and much more "technological" than any metal Marine I used to own (and I've still got a lot of those).

And let's face it, metal jump pack Marines were the worst, and not in a good way like German sausage.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5691 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »
Games workshop are reprinting rogue trader for the January second open day.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5692 on: December 27, 2016, 03:56:41 PM »
Games workshop are reprinting rogue trader for the January second open day.

Where'd that come from?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5693 on: December 27, 2016, 04:01:16 PM »
Any pics of your Deathbringer?

Not finished yet.

And it will be hardly comparable to your wonderful painting.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5695 on: December 27, 2016, 04:14:07 PM »
I wonder if it'll fall apart like the original hardbacks did? I could have been tempted by a decent binding but train fare is a killer and I'm not taking the day off.  :(  I'll just have to glue those pages back into my old copy.  ;)

It says it's scanned from an original but I'd be a little concerned if it turns out to be the same quality as the Index Apocrypha books.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5696 on: December 27, 2016, 04:21:41 PM »
Yep, sadly a swing and a miss.

A) Scanning from an old book...doesn't instill much confidence (and we know it'd be too much effort to go back and re-master the old book)
B) Pointless limited release to be hawked on eBay for $400.

As much progress as GW has made recently the un-ending torrent of limited release items is pretty silly.  The good looking Eldar art of Jes Goodwin would have been something I'd have purchased, easily.  But not for the $150 it goes for on eBay since they only sold a few thousand of them.  A lot of products they're cutting their own profits by not producing a reasonable number.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #5697 on: December 27, 2016, 04:31:18 PM »
Edit for privacy.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:21:49 PM by Chico »

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5698 on: December 27, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
I rather like what GW are doing with all these nods to the past and old school fans. I don't mind the limited nature of these things either. It's a limited market at best. I do wish some of this stuff was available to order though. Of course Ebay will be flooded with this stuff after the event but that happens with everything.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5699 on: December 27, 2016, 04:37:10 PM »
According to Andy Hoare

''And having seen this in the flesh, I can say it's of much higher spec than the original, 1987 hardback! The paper stock is heavier too, so it's a really nice, thick book.''

If that's true I wish I could get a copy. I do like a nice hefty book.