Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 08:03:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696483
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742223 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5715 on: December 29, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »
I already have the skaven from the set (they're brilliant), or I'd split a box with you.  I'd be in it for the elves too.

Still, you could flog the skaven and offset some of the cost - makes those elves a bargain.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:23:47 PM by Momotaro »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5716 on: December 29, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »
So... anyone else get 70 emails from GW this morning telling them that Spire of Dawn is back in stock?  ;D

Spire of Dawn is back in stock, by the way.

"Recently we sent you a large number of emails saying that a product was back in stock; sorry our system got over excited. Ironically we can only apologise by sending another email, sorry!

Thanks for your understanding, and rest assured that order will be restored to the Grot-pens in swift and brutal fashion as soon as I can find my heaviest spanner.

Yours sincerely,

Jim Butler

Webstore Big Boss"

I got 27. I also got my copy of spire of dawn way before release so I didn't need any of them!
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #5717 on: December 29, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »
I got several hundred emails from them when the Canoness came back in stock. There was one about every 90 seconds from the afternoon until the next morning.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5718 on: December 29, 2016, 08:31:13 PM »
I got several hundred emails from them when the Canoness came back in stock. There was one about every 90 seconds from the afternoon until the next morning.

Do they continue until you buy one?  lol

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5719 on: January 06, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
Did anyone else watch the Warhammer Live Jes Goodwin interview yesterday? It was quite interesting and delightfully off message with Jes talking about designing 'toy soldiers' and why Eldar, Kharn and Ahriman have 'big hats'.

You can watch live for free but must subscribe to watch later ($5 a month or something). Wednesday schedules would be worth keeping an eye on for writer and designer interviews. And Duncan.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5720 on: January 07, 2017, 03:16:30 PM »
... Jes talking about designing 'toy soldiers'

He's wrong, it's art! I will now write several paragraphs on why GW aren't as good as I remember them being when I was 12.

lol

Did Jes say anything revealing about anything that might get us miserable old sods excited/angry? I can't be bothered paying out a sub for anything (and Virgin Media blocks Pirate Bay  ;) ).

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #5721 on: January 07, 2017, 04:45:32 PM »
Did Jes say anything revealing about anything that might get us miserable old sods excited/angry? I can't be bothered paying out a sub for anything (and Virgin Media blocks Pirate Bay  ;) ).

One thing he mentioned was that they all thought Rogue Trader would be a six month thing then back to more fantasy. Apparently he got Eldar because he was the new boy and other sculptors had claimed sci-fi armoured warriors (Space Marines) and space dwarfs, though of course he does like elves too (a lot I'd imagine).

He said he's mostly doing concept work now as he doesn't want to learn digital sculpting. He still does some 3ups I think as the Tech Priest Dominus is his, though likely done a couple of years ago at least.

Edit: you could probably watch it with the free trial.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:48:28 PM by Andrew Rae »

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5722 on: January 07, 2017, 04:55:40 PM »
One thing he mentioned was that they all thought Rogue Trader would be a six month thing then back to more fantasy. Apparently he got Eldar because he was the new boy and other sculptors had claimed sci-fi armoured warriors (Space Marines) and space dwarfs, though of course he does like elves too (a lot I'd imagine).

He said he's mostly doing concept work now as he doesn't want to learn digital sculpting. He still does some 3ups I think as the Tech Priest Dominus is his, though likely done a couple of years ago at least.

Edit: you could probably watch it with the free trial.

I bet if anyone else had said they didn't want to go digital they'd be gone. How many of the old guard are left now. Jes, Blanche has a token role and Trish Carden maybe?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5723 on: January 08, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »
Ho-ree Chap!

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5724 on: January 08, 2017, 10:34:40 PM »
Wow!

At last they've got round to more plastic greater daemons, and good to see the Lord of Change, who has always been my fave... and perhaps the least popular of the four?

It kind of hurts my eyes to look at.... but I think that's just the paintjob. Sure looks like a good model. I'd love to see it painted in a different style.

Certainly looks more menacing and serious than the classic old metal 'birdman' one!

I gotta say I find GW's 'greater daemon' concepts undeniably rather cool, despite my general dislike for all things Warhammer these days.
With one exception they have really cool names and are great unique concepts for big, all-powerful bad guys.
Lord Of Change. That's an awesome name, and I love the idea of a crazy bird-sorcerer who represents both devious, labyrinthine plotting and insane brain-melting ever-changing chaos.
Keeper Of Secrets. Again a very cool name, and the idea of a hermaphrodite bull-creature with four arms and crab claws is pretty freaky, and thus cool.
Great Unclean One. How can you argue with that epic name? And when done well, has the potential for the most wonderful (and disgusting) model.
Bloodthrister. Ok, ok, that sounds pretty dumb, and it has never been the most unique of the four in appearance..... But three out of four isn't bad!

I remember the old metal sculpts of these four big guys which came out in the late 90s I think? Seemed very cool at the time, but perhaps haven't aged well (though I think the Great Unclean One still stands up well). For some reason they gave them new and inferior heads some years later, no idea why...
Then the BIG resin Forge World ones... WOW. Those four are just incredible. Flawless. Terrifying. And of course beyond the financial means of most gamers.
And looking back at the original old metal ones which first came out in the very early 90s... They were cute! No where near as big as their later incarnations, not much bigger than man sized, but they had multiple parts so you could kind of make your own, had more variety, a bit goofy looking....

And now they are finally doing them all in the big plastic kits.
I'm not sure what I think about the Bloodthirster from a few years ago. Yes, I think it's probably a great model, just the GW paintjobs put me off it a bit. I think the variant with the two-handed axe and the darker colour scheme worked the best, the one with bright red skin and the weird whip (is that a brick on the end of a chain?) not so much. I was a bit confused that they put out ANOTHER bloodthirster shortly afterwards, apparently some named character, much the same but not as good IMO....
And also a bit confused that they were releasing all these big monster kits and hadn't got round to the greater daemons much earlier? They even released an almost-great-unclean-one Nurgle monster character thing, which dwarfed the current metal GUO and made him look pathetic (in size at least).
But this Lord Of Change... yes, I like it! Very interested in seeing if it comes with any variants in the box as seems to be the norm nowadays, and definitely want to see it painted by someone else.

Looking forward to the Keeper Of Secrets and the Great Unclean One, hopefully not too far in the future!!!!

Well done GW, I guess...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5725 on: January 08, 2017, 10:45:47 PM »
Is that actually a photo of a painted mini, or is is a graphic render, photoshopped together with a photo of a base?

I had the same feeling when looking at the battlesister picture - something very unreal about her face...No depth in the picture...?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Cultist of Sooty

• Bookworm
« Reply #5726 on: January 08, 2017, 11:25:08 PM »
Is that actually a photo of a painted mini, or is is a graphic render, photoshopped together with a photo of a base?

I had the same feeling when looking at the battlesister picture - something very unreal about her face...No depth in the picture...?
I think it's the really bright colours they paint with and the glaring white backgrounds. I don't think they do the sculpts any favours.

I really like the look of this one. I didn't think much of the new Bloodthirster. Or the old one, to be fair, it was always my least favourite of the greater demons. But this? I like this a lot.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5727 on: January 09, 2017, 03:17:18 AM »
The Lord of Change looks a beast but I'm not sure how I feel about it.  They were always characterized as the weedy greater demon but he looks pretty buff.  While I'm not sure of the the direction I have to give them some points for going it their way.  I liked the skeksis stylings of the old lord but that's to the credit of Brian Fround not the GW team.  Love it or hate it it is theirs.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5728 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:03 AM »
Apparently there are a couple of options in the box (including making Fateweaver, a named character?).  I'd like to see a slightly scrawnier/creepier head with a more bird-like face...but all in all I can't complain.  I am a little troubled by the continued direction of overbearing detail though.  I shudder to imagine the average 12-15 year old who gets this (somehow affording it) and tries to paint it.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5729 on: January 09, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
I shudder to imagine the average 12-15 year old who gets this (somehow affording it) and tries to paint it.

You think they paint them!  :o

Happy for all the gamers who like this, they are absolutely ecstatic on dakka which is a real turnup as they are a very critical bunch. For me, it's the same as almost everything they have put out for fantasy recently - just too much. Too big, too many gubbins hanging off overly exaggerated features. It's like they have said, "turn it up to 11? Why stop there, go to 13".

I am starting to sound like the other moaning old farts around here now.