Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:08:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734033 times)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5760 on: January 13, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
Well... I have finished my first Khorne figure, an Exalted Death Bringer and he looks great. I love the miniature.

Now I've started on the Knight-Azyros miniature:

Like the Death Bringer I modified the miniature a bit by lopping off the wings on the lantern thingy. On the Death Bringer I lopped off the hanging skulls under his axe.

Nevertheless, I am really amazed at how they design and sprue these miniatures. He is, at least to me, an absolutely fantastic miniature and I can't wait to put paint on him. The way they got him into the air and the design of those wings is just amazimg.. at least to me.

Which brings me to another topic.

It had been quite awhile since I have bought anything, miniatures wise, from GW. When Age of Sigmar came out, I not only bought the starter box, but also the starter paint set. The metallic paints are, IMO, absolutely first rate. I used the gold for my Stormcast and the Bronze for the Khorne dudes. The washes are also really nice. In fact, I never used pre-made washes before, but after watching Duncan and trying them out, I found they made a great deal of difference to my painting.

GW has, on numerous occasions, helped me bring my painting up a notch. I'm glad they are hanging in there and still able to teach an old dog like me a new thing or two.

I've heard good things about those golds. Cool model! I've pretty much totally changed my mind on the AoS thing. The rules look really cool, and the setting is just different. I think my initial disdain was because I was comparing it to the old setting (which I loved).

I hope you go back to posting pics of your work. Duncan's videos are ace aren't they?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5761 on: January 13, 2017, 07:53:59 PM »
Looks like GW is going to release a Gyrinx miniature (from the olden days of Rogue Trader). 

I'm liking their direction lately.

Going off of Warhammer Community teasers and the ever-revolving rumor mill, the big question is currently "what goes with the Gyrinx".  There have been a couple of pictures of painted models (well portions of...) which people have been unable to crack so far.  Likewise Duncan painting a Gyrinx on a rather large oval base - likely intended for a character model who accompanies the Gyrinx - is killin' people.  There is art of an Eldar Shadow Seer character with a Gyrinx, so it's likely that's what we'll get.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5762 on: January 13, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »
The metallic paints are, IMO, absolutely first rate. I used the gold for my Stormcast and the Bronze for the Khorne dudes. The washes are also really nice.

I might give them a run out then since I'm getting a bit low on some of my metallic paints.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5763 on: January 14, 2017, 10:09:16 PM »
I've pretty much totally changed my mind on the AoS thing. The rules look really cool, and the setting is just different. I think my initial disdain was because I was comparing it to the old setting (which I loved).

Same here. Different game, different setting. Silver Tower started to turn me and now I'm all in. I like it for what it is rather than disliking it for what it isn't.

Must get my first Stormcast guy finished.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5764 on: January 14, 2017, 10:23:02 PM »
The new novel to tie in with the tzeench release looks to really add that nice nitty gritty human viewpoint to the world of AoS .

"n Mortal Realms news, we have City of Secrets. Nick Horth’s novella returns us to the Mortal Realms several generations after the events of the Realmgate Wars, in one of the new Free Cities. It has a much more human scale than those great epic tales that established the mythos of the realms: fewer grand epic battles and more murder-mystery (though there is still battle, obviously). The heroes here are not the sigmarite-clad Stormcasts, but humble humans, duardin and aelves, navigating the twisting alleys, politics and literal backstabbing of a sprawling city, to uncover a darkness that lies beneath the surface."

And fron the warhammer TV interview
"he explains further that a free guild captain see's something he should not have seen and only the witch hunter and his companion who is a duardin is helping him. He goes on to explain this book will see how normal people view all the craziness but on the ground level things are still similar yet not. Like there is a shard of the world that was in the sea next to the city that is mined as currency to be used to glimpse in the future.

Also the scourge privateers control the docks and they are not nice people going by Nick's description of them twitch chat called them pretty much Aelven mafia well they sound like it. The witch hunter is from the order of ayzr created by sigmar to destroy corruption in the new cities but they are stretched to the absolute limit with all the new people coming into the cities.

They also look at the divide between those who came from ayzr who are taking all the important jobs and the tribes nomands and people who survived the age of chaos coming into the cities it seems they live in the more slum like area. Also many of the people of ayzr view these people coming in corrupted by chaos because they wonder how they survived with the age of chaos hanging over them.

Also we get to see how a normal human views a stormcast of course some are heroic and mingle with the populace but the ones in the city are the knight excelsior who hate everything to do with chaos and of course if they get a hint they will carry out a purge and purges happened in the past. Hence why the witch hunter's job is so important.

One last thing sigmar's hope was to have all three main races living in the cities together of course certain armies are seperate and doing their own thing even if they are allies but largely the cities are a mixed population perhaps with one main group. Like the city on the novel is mainly a free guild city while let's say the one in the realm of life has a larger aelf population since it was mainly built by the phoenix temple. "

Sounds good to me.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5765 on: January 15, 2017, 10:20:49 AM »
Also the scourge privateers control the docks and they are not nice people going by Nick's description of them twitch chat called them pretty much Aelven mafia well they sound like it.

They're the descendants of the Dark Elves aren't they? If they're now a mean gang then if anything they've turned quite nice compared to their ancestors. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:28:17 PM by Gibby »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5766 on: January 15, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »

It had been quite awhile since I have bought anything, miniatures wise, from GW. When Age of Sigmar came out, I not only bought the starter box, but also the starter paint set. The metallic paints are, IMO, absolutely first rate. I used the gold for my Stormcast and the Bronze for the Khorne dudes. The washes are also really nice. In fact, I never used pre-made washes before, but after watching Duncan and trying them out, I found they made a great deal of difference to my painting.

Got to agree with you there - I'm loving the base colours and the metallics especially.  Try the new Retributor Armour gold base and Stormhost silver layer paints - they're expensive but work brilliantly.

Duncan's painting vids have been brilliant, and have given me a lot of good tips.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5767 on: January 15, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »
I still dislike the aesthetic of AoS.  Just does nothing for me. 

I do think the direction GW are heading is much more positive than anything they've done for years. And looking at their published profits a lot of other people are thinking that too. 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5768 on: January 15, 2017, 01:09:54 PM »
Here's the alternate build of the LoC (I guess this is Fateweaver?)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5769 on: January 15, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »
Interesting, you would have thought with numerous head options available (I think there are two normal plus the two fateweaver ones, for a total of four, but I may be wrong), they would have provided one without an 'screaming' open mouth? Would look really cool with a closed mouth, less monstrous, more 'sly' looking appearance I think.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5770 on: January 15, 2017, 01:53:32 PM »
Not a fan of those colours...
I really liked the blue on the wings of the other model.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5771 on: January 15, 2017, 07:52:08 PM »

If only it came unpainted ....

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5772 on: January 15, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »
That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5773 on: January 15, 2017, 09:22:30 PM »
Quote from: nic-e

If only it came unpainted ....

That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Now don't give them ideas... before you know it, the figures will be pro-pre-painted at x times the previous price... lol

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #5774 on: January 15, 2017, 10:21:14 PM »
Well, stripping is an option...for making enough money to afford those minis...