Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 01:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696529
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 566
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742685 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5775 on: January 16, 2017, 12:17:52 AM »
That's it right there, in my opinion.

Yep, the minis put out for the last year or so have been for the most part, incredible.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:47:12 AM by Andrew May »

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5776 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
Just received a new order from GW.

I got the Daemon Prince  :-*:

It is very cool miniature with lots of variations of weapons and heads. I plan to build it at the same time I will be doing my Khorgorath:

The plan is to use some of the parts from the Daemon to convert the Khorgorath a bit; as I don't like the basic model all that much.

Also, seeing as how I am now putting on the full press with Khorne, I went ahead and bought the Mephiston Red Spray primer. I believe it will vastly speed up my progress... we'll see.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5777 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
I like the khorgorath, it's pretty easy to swap out the head. That's what I did.

Sorry, but I do not like the daemon prince model, one of the worst they have ever produced.  :(

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5778 on: January 19, 2017, 01:57:31 PM »
Excellent conversion on dat Khorgothingy, Nord. You just made a mwoaish model look absolutely great  :).
Leadhead

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5779 on: January 19, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
Nice take on the khorgorath Nord. If I ever paint mine I was thinking of making the skulls look a bit bloody too, as if they're pushing out of him rather than just set into the flesh. Love the look of the Khorne symbol cut into the body.  :-*

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5780 on: January 19, 2017, 02:59:21 PM »
Nice job,
Good headswap and I much prefer your paintjob
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5781 on: January 19, 2017, 03:08:46 PM »
Excellent conversion on dat Khorgothingy, Nord. You just made a mwoaish model look absolutely great  :).

Agreed!

I'm looking to not only swap out the head, but possibly other things too. Will see how it goes, but I'm thinking about changing the hands (there is a really nice axe that I can use from the Daemon, for example) and maybe getting rid of the skulls coming out of the skin. I'm not too into skulls everywhere and like the knorne models because their body musculature is so well done.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5782 on: January 19, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »
For any of the Oldhammer crowd, I've been assembling a blog, wherein myself and some friends will be trying some 2nd edition Warhammer 40K with some changes.  Aside from that, the blog is a place where I've been collecting all the resources I can.  There is some good art, some videos, some codex and white dwarf overviews, and several PDF resources for the cards heavily present in 2nd ed.

http://projectanvil.blogspot.com/

If you get bored, perhaps worth a perusal!  We're working on re-producing all of the main datafaxes from the game as well (same layout, but hoping to make crisp, printable PDFs etc.). 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5783 on: January 20, 2017, 04:10:47 AM »
For any of the Oldhammer crowd, I've been assembling a blog, wherein myself and some friends will be trying some 2nd edition Warhammer 40K with some changes. 

Best edition, but I'm afraid for me I'm long past my 40k days ... too bad, really.

Good luck with the project!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5784 on: January 20, 2017, 07:12:34 AM »
I like the Khorgorath's stock head but Nord you nailed that paint job!  Much prefer it to the studio version.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5785 on: January 20, 2017, 02:37:19 PM »
Funnily enough, I have been a bit of a 2E fixation recently (and It's shocking how many of the game rules I've retained through all the editions since then!).

For me though, the vehicle rules (especially for light vehicle and Dreads) are far too fiddly to bother with, as is the mind-boggling array of (only slightly) different templates.

I'd want to do new vehicle rules myself really, and I'd also reduce the number of templates to something more manageable (so flamer, Destructor, and Stream of Corruption would all use the same template for example).

Finally, I would probably transcribe all the Codexes into a more user-friendly format (i.e., all the special rules, statlines, weapon options, and points are on one page for each unit entry). All the flipping back-and-forth to write an army list out just winds me up!  ;D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5786 on: January 20, 2017, 03:46:23 PM »
I actually really like the vehicle rules, but I enjoy stuff flying across the board exploding and killing all my stuff...

I agree about the templates for the most part (I'd remove the thudd gun template) and I agree with Destructor being useless as a "new" template etc.  As far as stats and stuff goes I find it pretty easy to keep most of them in my head, but I agree that a cheat-sheet might be in order for each army.  Much like the Chaos Codex cheat sheet.  I'd say I want to keep about 80% of 2nd ed. as far as the chunkiness goes - simply because I enjoy the chunk!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5787 on: January 20, 2017, 04:52:24 PM »
I don't really mind the vehicle wackiness so much, it's more the overly-involved results determination. With more than one vehicle per side (say, like a bike or Land Speeder squadron), it gets really slow really fast.  :?

In a similar vein, needing all the big datafaxes really clutters up the table in an edition that already has a lot of clutter to begin with (since I assume everybody and their mother uses the Psychic cards etc?!).

The vehicle weapon upgrades/options should also be in the army list rather than on the datafaxes too, as you need that info when you're list-building but not when you're playing.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5788 on: January 20, 2017, 05:12:24 PM »
While I'm a big proponent of cards...I agree with a larger game you end up with a ton of stuff.  I think you can ditch the force deck (as we're doing), the mission cards are crap, etc.  I've considered a binder to hold all of the wargear cards (ala collecting baseball cards or somesuch).  I'll keep you posted as we trim some of the fat.  lol

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5789 on: January 20, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
When I was young (cue suitable music...  ;)), it was less of an issue in some ways because most of us played in the time-honoured tradition of Floorhammer - so plenty of room, even if you sometimes couldn't find the Land Raider's datafax because you were sitting on it. Now that I'm all grown up, I need to sit at a table because sitting cross-legged on the floor for more than about fifteen minutes hurts my knees - this makes economy of space (and the visual spectacle of a game's progress) more important to me these days.

For the Psychic phase, I think the WHFB magic dice system works pretty well - and it's easy to bodge into 2E since it's basically still "sci-fi Warhammer". Plus, you only need a few spell cards or a spell reference table for each discipline then. However, it does make events like Energy Drain, Psychic Duel, and Reflection hard to include without the Warp Deck.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how you get on with your efforts - please keep us (er, me?) updated? :)