Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 03:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742844 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5835 on: January 24, 2017, 06:26:54 PM »
I do like the Gryph Hounds (minus the "stab your trainer in the heart" spikes...those can be clipped off) - any idea of the scale?  I haven't seen them next to anything.  Are they dogs or comically huge (ala Space Wolf...wolves)?   Horses, even?
I did wonder if they could be used as steeds for the smaller end of 28 mm ?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5836 on: January 24, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
I did wonder if they could be used as steeds for the smaller end of 28 mm ?

as a rule no .Probably for 15mm or some halflings maybe.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5837 on: January 24, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
I wonder if this is a place holder because they don't want us to see their new models ahead of time.
Silver tower artwork wasn't shown until the release because they didn't want to give away new units and models despite the game being announced a while before hand.

Could be right there, at least I hope so as it would be a shame if they Assassinorum Execution Forced it up by just loading the box with 'old' models. Sounds like it's a fair way off though.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5838 on: January 24, 2017, 08:29:11 PM »
Furthermore, some new, lighter armoured Stormcasts are due out soon:

Scout-types! Probably look better with alternate paintjobs, like the heavy infantry.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5839 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
Late to the party and wearing the same dress as another guest.  ;)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5840 on: January 24, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »
Sigmarine Wolves? Or are they bear pelts.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5841 on: January 24, 2017, 09:50:41 PM »
Sigmarine Wolves? Or are they bear pelts.

These swift and deadly warriors are a new type of Stormcast Eternal – rangers, trackers and cavalrymen without compare. They are swift vengeance to the forces of Chaos, and the outriders and scouts of Sigmar’s armies. The models that are on the way make for an imposing army (and you may recognise a little piece of their kit from a previous Rumour Engine…).

The sleeker armour of these hunters allows for more dynamic miniatures compared to the heavy-hitters found in many Stormcast Eternal battlelines. They also have a much more feral appearance, draped in furs and pelts, and feeling much more like an army that is at home in the wide realms, rather than a fresh new arrival from Azyr (as the Stormcasts were when we were first introduced to them).

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5842 on: January 24, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »
So space wolves for AoS  ;)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #5843 on: January 24, 2017, 11:47:22 PM »
I'm sure "Shadows over Hammerhal" is an early Bathory album... o_o

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #5844 on: January 25, 2017, 06:43:11 AM »
Although GW priced me out long ago - I always had fond memories for the massive battles with all the classic fantasy stuff tucked in willy-nilly.

But the new Age of Sigmar stuff is just... ugh... :-X

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #5845 on: January 25, 2017, 07:07:13 AM »
Their armour is sleeker than the earlier eternals but the thought of these guys doing anything other than stomping through the woods (and defoliating it) is laughable.  They aren't your dad's harriers and the poor deer will never see them coming :) .

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5846 on: January 25, 2017, 08:45:27 AM »
The thing about the new furry goldmarines is that they already have a lot of models released compared to everything else. I would much rather have seen more things for those armies that have fewer models (and which are more restricted  in variety if you want to stick to their strict theme - the fire slayer dwarfs, the various undead, the Sylvaneth, etc., or even releases for a new armies (elves, dwarves, humans...). :?

So regardless on my own feelings of heavily-armoured golden warriors tramping about "stealthily" by dint of wearing furs (sorta like the Necrons that wear the skin of flayed humans...  ::)), I think a different release would have been much more fun.

That said, I do rather like the Gryph Hounds. :)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5847 on: January 25, 2017, 09:15:51 AM »
And here's me thinking that nothing could ever be more boring than month after month of slightly different coloured space marines.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5848 on: January 25, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
And here's me thinking that nothing could ever be more boring than month after month of slightly different coloured space marines.

There's a lot of false memory going on when it comes to the Stormcast releases. I think last year saw the release of the Knight Questor from Silver Tower, the massive Stardrake and the Dracothian Guard set. I could be wrong but I think everything else was from 2015 so that's just three miniatures releases for the gold guys last year. But of course it's just month in month out Stormcast releases and nothing else.  ;)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5849 on: January 25, 2017, 11:40:25 AM »
There's a lot of false memory going on when it comes to the Stormcast releases. I think last year saw the release of the Knight Questor from Silver Tower, the massive Stardrake and the Dracothian Guard set. I could be wrong but I think everything else was from 2015 so that's just three miniatures releases for the gold guys last year. But of course it's just month in month out Stormcast releases and nothing else.  ;)

To be fair, a lot of armies/sub-factions are still awaiting their first Battletome, whereas the Stormies are about to be on their third Battletome.

I totally understand GW's desire to have a "Fantasy Space Marine" faction in their new game, and I do like 40k Space Marines as much as the next guy, but I also find that other factions tend not to get the same level of attention as a result of the over-focus on Space Marines (and that honestly gets pretty stale).

The best thing for AoS recently (IMO, of course) are the Tzeentch releases, and I can only hope that they will see a few more units/models come out to really establish them as a varied force.

I am also looking forward to seeing updated and expanded Slaaneshi models for both sci-fi and fantasy (as Khorne and Nurgle tend to get the spotlight much more often for obvious gameplay-related reasons).