Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:52:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734094 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5850 on: January 25, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Not keen on the new lighter armoured types, the hounds are nice but really I have no use for them

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5851 on: January 25, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »
Yep, I guess the Stormcast are to AOS, just as Space Marines are to 40k. So they are going to get a lot more love.

I'll probably get the new sets but I am really interested in what the new class of cavalry will look like. Personally, I'm not really into gigantic miniatures though I have to admit that Stardrake and the Dracothian Guard look awesome.

And I also don't like the gazillion multi-part kits. For me, I'm happy with various complete bodies with different arms, weapons, heads, etc., but when you have to glue together legs to 2 piece torsos... I think they have gone too far.

All in all though, I'm pretty happy with the direction of GW.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5852 on: January 25, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »
Why not just release Ram-Man, She-Ra and Skeletor and be done with it.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5853 on: January 25, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
Well, I'd buy those, even as multipart plastic kits  :D.
Leadhead

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5854 on: January 25, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
There's a lot of false memory going on when it comes to the Stormcast releases. I think last year saw the release of the Knight Questor from Silver Tower, the massive Stardrake and the Dracothian Guard set. I could be wrong but I think everything else was from 2015 so that's just three miniatures releases for the gold guys last year. But of course it's just month in month out Stormcast releases and nothing else.  ;)

Fair enough, though I meant that I find 40k a bit tedious because it's just more marines all the time. Now, it's happening to fantasy too and that's become tedious. Yawnfest for me, I have moved on, shouldn't really be here moaning about it. But hey, seems obligatory to whinge on a forum, so wtf.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5855 on: January 25, 2017, 02:23:54 PM »
Fair enough, though I meant that I find 40k a bit tedious because it's just more marines all the time. Now, it's happening to fantasy too and that's become tedious. Yawnfest for me, I have moved on, shouldn't really be here moaning about it. But hey, seems obligatory to whinge on a forum, so wtf.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #5856 on: January 25, 2017, 02:32:44 PM »
And yet you have responded.  ::)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5857 on: January 25, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »
Well, I'd buy those, even as multipart plastic kits  :D.

I think they would sell pretty well!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5858 on: January 25, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
Check out this terrain piece:

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5859 on: January 25, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
WOAH! That is brilliant! How steady is it? But I love it! Reminds me of the inginuity of things like the old Necromunda tower.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5860 on: January 25, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
I think that'd be neat for a display...or even more so if it had several layers.  I think (as is the case with a lot of set-piece boards) the replayability would be very limiting. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5861 on: January 25, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »
Quite a few examples crop up on Google image searches: link.

I think they look quite fun, and I guess the floating islands can be moved around like any other terrain for variety (at least, if they are designed/set up that way).

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5862 on: January 25, 2017, 05:18:17 PM »
Would make a great game, with portals from 1 island to the other, of course every time a random transportation  :D.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5863 on: January 25, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
I understand the new releases for sigmarites. They are a new faction. Other factions already have armies you can buy.
Edit: Autocorrect put in forecast, not sigmarites.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:41:24 AM by beefcake »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5864 on: January 25, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
Why not just release Ram-Man, She-Ra and Skeletor and be done with it.

Ha!

A while back, while making the kids' Halloween masks, I watched a documentary on steroid abuse. It contained an interesting point about the size and shape of action figures over recent decades. The filmmaker showed how GI Joe (or the equivalent) had gone from a lean, muscular, fit-looking chap to a grotesquely swollen parody.

I do think the parallel trend in miniatures is a bit of a shame. Some recent GW releases are taking it almost beyond parody. As an example, I really like the paintwork on these Sigmarines - it's a great idea, really well executed. And I like the opposing Malal force just as much or more. But look at the bare-chested Malal warriors - despite the superb colour scheme and conversions, those torsos are just ridiculous.

The recent Tzeentch acolytes were another case in point - all ludicrously buff. It's particularly strange, because one terrific thing about the Warhammer universes has been the sense of wretchedness that John Blanche et al. are so brilliant at conveying. And all those superb modellers and painters who do the likes of the Iron Sleet, Convertorum and Ex Profundis blogs are so good at capturing it. But the recent crop of models really do seem to be taking their nod from He-Man and Skeleton rather than from all the great illustrations that Blanche & co. have done to create the Warhammer universes.

The miniatures now seem to be in a kind of (upper) arms race: the orcs already have arms as thick as a man's waist, so the chaos acolytes have to be even more ripped, and the fully blown chaos warriors get physiques that are like a child's drawing of a superhero.

That said, I think the female Eldar with the cat is terrific (I'd be tempted to replace the big sword with a small, elegant pistol), and those griffon-dog things are nicely Moorcockian.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:03:54 AM by Hobgoblin »