Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 12:58:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696469
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1741673 times)

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #5940 on: February 03, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »
Good ol' Rowboat Girlyman.
Is he supposed to have the Emperor's sword there or something? I think the big man himself was the only one with one of those.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5941 on: February 03, 2017, 01:22:21 PM »
I think Gullyman looks pretty bad...but it'll be interesting to see what follows. (Cypher on his right - fallen angels behind?)

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5942 on: February 03, 2017, 03:06:34 PM »
There's also a new GK/Ordo Malleus Inquisitor at the front right of the pic too. ;)

I like RG, but I feel the trim around the edges of his armour look a bit too... Chaos-y?

Hopefully the Lion wakes up in time:

From "Wobbly Model Syndrome".

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #5943 on: February 03, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
40k keeps getting better and better. Good riddance Alan Merrit, holding the timeline for so long really stagnated the flow of minis. I was bored stiff of GW two years ago but they've just gone from strength to strength recently. Im glad I don't collect the modern figures as I'd be bankrupt and divorced by now!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5944 on: February 03, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »
I'm all for moving the story forward.  I've found the new minis very hit-or-miss, but that's been the case for a while.  I think Gullyman looks pretty awful as a miniature, but I'm sure they'll sell bajillions of them.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5945 on: February 03, 2017, 06:59:36 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/03/gathering-storm-iii-rise-of-the-primarch-first-look/

Confirmed by GW. Also a very funny warhammer TV video on their facebook page about the internet. :)
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5946 on: February 04, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/03/gathering-storm-iii-rise-of-the-primarch-first-look/

Confirmed by GW. Also a very funny warhammer TV video on their facebook page about the internet. :)

Funnily enough I saw the march issue of WD on Ebay only the other day!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5947 on: February 05, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »
Also a very funny warhammer TV video on their facebook page about the internet. :)

Just confirms what I said that all the "rumors" were actually planted publicity. Pictures were being posted continuously over at Dakka and Bols ever since AoS came out.

Now if only Chris would watch the video and stop hyperventilating that GW is going to shut down the forum for posting photos that, in fact, are being purposefully leaked.

And BTW... here is a photo of those Gryph-Chargers in green:

:-*

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #5948 on: February 05, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »
Oh. Those look... actually really rather nice.

Goddammit. I need money for food.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #5949 on: February 05, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
Just confirms what I said that all the "rumors" were actually planted publicity. Pictures were being posted continuously over at Dakka and Bols ever since AoS came out.

I think some of it is leaks, some of it is just damage control since they have started to enjoy building their own hype.

I think in this case it was damage control, No doubt they'd much rather have this months focus be on the eldar box rather than the one a month out.The stormcasts i think are a real leak but since it isn't a huge thing they aren't too bothered about a few pics of confirmed units.

Not silver tower, that seemed TOO well managed, likewise with magnus.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5950 on: February 06, 2017, 12:59:36 AM »
There is a rather well known web site that has been "leaking" information every since the start up of AoS.

If GW was so hot to "protect it's IP" (as it has in the past) they would have been closed down.

My impression is that "rumors" spreed like wild fire and GW used this social phenomena to their benefit... and still do. And they are even laughing about it. If that isn't a "wink and a nod" I don't know what is.

Lots of folks have remarked that there has been a rather large shift in the way GW does business. I would submit, this is another indicator.

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #5951 on: February 06, 2017, 09:52:03 AM »
The potential new direction GW are taking is heartwarming, my main issue now though is that all the very obviously CG sculptured miniatures don't tickle my fancy and they don't scale so well with my old stuff :(

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5952 on: February 06, 2017, 10:06:32 AM »
I agree on the hit and miss, but their fantasy stuff has just gone off the rails, and not in any good way.  Too much, too expensive and with very little character. 
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #5953 on: February 06, 2017, 10:24:12 AM »
Too much, too expensive and with very little character. 

Too much? Yes, but mostly books/rules. Of course, they cannot release rules upfront all in one go first after their experience with Chapterhouse, so we're somewhat stuck with this release model. I don't blame GW, but a free digital rules delivery system and free online army builder would benefit both GW and their customers enormously in this regard. Releases would then feel less overwhelming.

Too expensive? Definitely. They always have been though, and I don't want to get into the debates all over again right now about what miniatures should cost. Suffice to say that their bundle deals which work out at "discounts" of 25-70% of the separate contents' combined RRP have been flying off the shelves for a reason, and have even tempted old vets back to GW. To me, that basically highlights what they should cost to start with - and I'm pretty certain that sales across the board would rise overwhelmingly if they did.

Very little character? Hmm, yes and no. I don't find crude and wobbly-sculpted models to be "characterful" any more than clinically digital and awkwardly-posed plastic models do. The GW starter box models and their single-figure clampacks are great examples of what can be done. That plastic clampack Brian Nelson Nurgle Lord is a perfect example of a miniature that hits all the classic notes but brings the crisp detailing of a modern techniques to the sculpt. Even in cast in metal or resin, sculptors like Andrew Rae show that there needs be no loss of character just because it's a digital sculpt.

To bring the topic back a little, those green Sigmarine riders are a great example - the birds look fantastic, but the riders on them much less so. In fact, on some of the models, it looks like they're barely holding on!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5954 on: February 06, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
To bring the topic back a little, those green Sigmarine riders are a great example - the birds look fantastic, but the riders on them much less so. In fact, on some of the models, it looks like they're barely holding on!

Yes, the birds are much more interesting than the riders. One thing, though - the more reasonably sized battle axe that one of those figures is holding looks immeasurably better than those goofy oversized hammers. I presume the hammers aren't actually supposed to be foam in the fluff, but that's the only visually plausible explanation!