Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696473
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1741913 times)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6000 on: February 09, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
Neat! I'd like to see the weapons done in a different colour, carved jade daggers maybe? Still looks rad as is.  :-*

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6001 on: February 09, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
Thanks. I might experiment to see if I can find a really lazy was of doing jade daggers, maybe green with black washes, especially as the rest of the tzeentch figures feature more weapons. In the meantime though, I'm just going to bang them out so I have at least one fully painted (well, coloured anyway...) set from these bloody boxed games I keep splashing out on. lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6002 on: February 09, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »
I've noticed a few of the GW painting guides suggest highlighting Retributor Armour with Liberator Gold, but they're totally different gold colours. I just went with adding a bit of silver to the mix for highlights.

Liberator Gold works well with the Retributor Gold as long as there is enough space between the highlight, the shade (Reikland Fleshshade) and the base coat to set it off. It therefore works really well with my Stormcast as they are large models.

The problem, is that Liberator Gold is just not shiny enough when there isn't a really good contrast.

That is what I found painting the old Sisters of Battle (which are really busy models). The Liberator Gold just didn't work... but the Sycorax Bronze, OTOH, just lept right out.

Retributor Armour is such a good gold though, I've used it to speed paint some of my Silver Tower tzeentch all metallic and it's so lovely and shiney!

SO SHINEY! Kinda wish I'd done them all in Retributor Armour but the other colours help to identify the different figures.

Yep... they look awesome!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6003 on: February 11, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
What do ya'll think of the new Death Forest?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6004 on: February 11, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »
I like that it's something new. I'd prefer a pic of it laid out on a tabletop.  I'm very impressed with the gryph hound price. £12 from wayland games. Pricing is getting better.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6005 on: February 11, 2017, 12:32:46 PM »
I like that it's something new. I'd prefer a pic of it laid out on a tabletop.  I'm very impressed with the gryph hound price. £12 from wayland games. Pricing is getting better.

But then the Death world forest is £80 which IMO is far too expensive.

I like it though, something a bit different.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6006 on: February 11, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »
....I'm very impressed with the gryph hound price. £12 from wayland games. Pricing is getting better.

I agree.
I am seriously considering a couple of boxes of those, which will be my first GW purchase for a very long time indeed.
I now need to go and lie down.....
 ;)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6007 on: February 11, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »

The Death World set does seem a tad pricey but it's sixty odd elsewhere which might be a bit more reasonable.

I really like the pricing of these new releases. The 10 man Stormcast sets are great in comparison to what the 5 figure sets were. The battletome is cheaper than expected too which is good news for owners of the old books (a supplementary book like the Stormcast Extremis one would have been £20!).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6008 on: February 11, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
The deathworld forest or whatever looks..."okay" at best and is incredibly expensive.  That's a fail for me (it also doesn't look very useful). 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6009 on: February 11, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
The deathworld forest or whatever looks..."okay" at best and is incredibly expensive.  That's a fail for me (it also doesn't look very useful). 

I think it could also be useful for AoS representing a twisted chaos landscape or including bits in a Sylvaneth woodland.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #6010 on: February 11, 2017, 04:00:27 PM »

Initial impression is that it let one dreadful but that might partially be down to presentation. I'd like to see it on the tabletop, in context. My inner child hopes that the eldar rune thingy heralds the arrival of some Deathworld Exodites.... o_o

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6011 on: February 11, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »
I think it could also be useful for AoS representing a twisted chaos landscape or including bits in a Sylvaneth woodland.

Certainly could be useful, I agree.

I can't get a scale of it though so it is hard to make any judgement. So yep, we need more photos.

As to the new pricing of the Stormcast minis...  :o

And just another tip thing folks might find interesting. As I have said before, I have never used pre-made washes before. The Reikland Fleshshade does great work with gold, as I am sure most folks know. What I discovered though was that Nuln Oil can be used as a "sloppy and fast" way to black line darker colors. Not only do you get a nice black edge/line, but you also get a darker blend on the color it is applied to. You don't really slop it on though, but just use a fine brush so that you can control the amount you are applying. Overall, I am finding the GW washes to be very useful in more ways than one. Though I guess that applies to any pre-made wash.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6012 on: February 11, 2017, 05:01:51 PM »
That's a fail for me (it also doesn't look very useful). 

Actually, for GW (AoS and WH40K) games it could be quite useful. If you read the description it talks about have an ability to poison and kill folks who get too close.

Not sure, but this "the terrain has capabilities more than just blocking line of sight", which is a central theme in AoS games, looks like it is being introduced into 40K as well.

I like the general idea concerning "purposeful" terrain. It thus serves more than to just pretty up a gaming board and has to be considered in how you play the game.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6013 on: February 11, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »

As to the new pricing of the Stormcast minis...  :o

Is that pleasant surprise or utter horror?  ;)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6014 on: February 11, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »

Hence me not writing about it's price. Iol