Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734092 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6030 on: February 13, 2017, 12:46:54 AM »
Have you narrowed down what faction you might go with?

I haven't played 40K rules since 3rd edition... I will probably be buying the next edition though.

Going for the Space Marines since those are the miniatures that I can go into a store here in Portugal and buy. Most of the other factions have to be ordered.

The owner of the local store says I have enough guys to do a Demi-Company, but I need to know what weapons to choose on the models and such - that's the burden of doing the things the other way around, first I assemble the minis then I'll buy and read the rules, lol.

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #6031 on: February 13, 2017, 04:06:24 AM »
Going for the Space Marines since those are the miniatures that I can go into a store here in Portugal and buy. Most of the other factions have to be ordered.

The owner of the local store says I have enough guys to do a Demi-Company, but I need to know what weapons to choose on the models and such - that's the burden of doing the things the other way around, first I assemble the minis then I'll buy and read the rules, lol.

Build for Heralds of Ruin Kill Team (small scale 40k with VERY few models, especially as Space Marines) and then plan something out from there.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6032 on: February 13, 2017, 12:14:11 PM »
@ Predatorpt:

Shoot me a PM with what you've got models/options-wise, and what you want in terms of game size and gameplay. Also, how backwards-compatible you want this army to be (mostly for things like Grav or Centurions). ;)

Roughly-speaking though, half a Battle Company is:

1 Captain or Chaplain
0-1 Command Squads (5 models)
3 Tactical Squads (5-10 models each)
1 of the following: Assault Squad, Bike Squad, Attack Bike Squad, Land Speeder Squadron, or Centurion Assault Squad
1 of the following: Devastator Squad or Centurion Devastator Squad
0-1 Dreadnought, Ironclad Dreadnought, or Venerable Dreadnought

The perk you get for this formation is that every model gets Objective Secured (which IIRC helps them contest objectives better than other non-ObSec troops, and lets them continue "holding" them after they've moved away).

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6033 on: February 13, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »
Thanks, Shub-Nullgurath and Major_Gilbear - in you case, I'll drop you a PM later today, as soon as I take stock of the things I have here.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6034 on: February 16, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
GW put up a bit of info on the new Warhammer Quest game up for pre-order at the weekend. https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/16/unboxing-the-new-warhammer-quest/

Not convinced by the tile - too many textures and I don't like the lack of any black border. Just looks a mess in the photos.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6035 on: February 17, 2017, 03:33:24 AM »
I'm really enjoying Warhammer Total War at the moment.
I'm playing as the Vampire counts faction (I collected undead growing up). The AI can be a bit strange at times, e.g. computer sending all infantry up at once but faster infantry gets up and close too quick. Most battles have been easily won.
The one thing I do like is the characters in the game. Just like in WFB they are massively overpowered (but not too badly balanced), they roam around as a single person as opposed to a unit and can take a beating and deliver one. The character advancement is great. You gain new abilities and spells for your characters. Magic items and followers. Units can get magic banners etc. Well worth the $12 USD I paid for it from Humble bundle.
The biggest drawback I am finding (although I will get used to it) is the city/town interface. It doesn't seem as userfriendly as it used to be.
Still it's great fun and I'll be playing it for quite some time. Factions will be quite different to so hopefully a lot of replayability.

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6036 on: February 17, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6037 on: February 17, 2017, 09:39:37 PM »
Slambo's grown a bit...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Slambo-Exalted-Hero

Ooof! That's an ugly figure! Oddly enough, I brought up the original earlier today in the discussion of the not-Heroquest figures. For me, the "half-Slambo" original Heroquest chaos warrior was always preferable. There's something about figures with twin axes that's always "off", somehow.

Certainly, this "update" looks a lot less elegant than the one they did of the original space marine.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6038 on: February 17, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »
I've also been looking for the original. Not lately. I prefer the original but think this one is nice (if not the price)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6039 on: February 17, 2017, 10:06:08 PM »
Ooof! That's an ugly figure! Oddly enough, I brought up the original earlier today in the discussion of the not-Heroquest figures. For me, the "half-Slambo" original Heroquest chaos warrior was always preferable. There's something about figures with twin axes that's always "off", somehow.

Certainly, this "update" looks a lot less elegant than the one they did of the original space marine.

I prefer the plastic heroquest Slambo to metal Slambo too, if you ignore the limitations of the plastic moulding. I'd go as far as to say the basic concept is my perfect Chaos warrior.

I spent faaaaaar too much effort sculpting new feet, replacing his massive free hand and scrapping out some of the filled undercuts. No one will notice but he's such a bad ass and (almost) worth it. I got the metal one recently as well and while very nice, he's a bit goofy.

This new Slambo is interesting to see how they updated him, but I wish the sculptor had knocked out a bit more of the symmetry and straight edged precision. He shares the Stormcast rotund torso too. Don't get why they have to be so tubby.

Still tempted mind you. Resin though... had better be less work than the finecast Slambo I returned to GW last year.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #6040 on: February 18, 2017, 12:07:38 AM »
Boris Simiano just sculpted a nice chaos warrior in that style for an upcoming Kickstarter

nm i see it has already been posted elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 12:10:15 AM by weismonsters »

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #6041 on: February 18, 2017, 12:29:37 AM »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6042 on: February 18, 2017, 03:57:49 AM »
While I appreciate the old Slambo nod, I don't find the miniature that...lovely?  As mentioned by someone else it's almost far too symmetrical and is missing some of the leather and natural posing of the older metals.  Also, someone said it's on a 40mm base so that guy is freakin' HUGE.  :`
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6043 on: February 18, 2017, 07:04:00 AM »
That's strange, he's not on the UK site! :? What's $50 in pounds?......just checked, that's £29 for a single miniature! :o

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6044 on: February 18, 2017, 07:46:31 AM »
I reckon it will be 20 pounds before Southern hemisphere markup.