Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:11:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734123 times)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6045 on: February 18, 2017, 10:09:11 AM »
There is some charm to the older models.  It's probably more than a little nostalgia but looking at this model I don't understand why.  Why couldn't they retain the iconic styled armour and equipment but place the model in a more dynamic, inspiring pose?  Models of Slambo's vintage were static so they could be cast from a single mold which brings me to another why.  Why is this a multi-part kit? 

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6046 on: February 18, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
£15 on the uk site, and he's resin, a must buy this one for me

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6047 on: February 18, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
Just pre-ordered the Vanguard-Palladors and Lord-Aquilor.

Have got to be the best Stormcast put out so far.  :-*

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6048 on: February 18, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
There is some charm to the older models.  It's probably more than a little nostalgia but looking at this model I don't understand why.  Why couldn't they retain the iconic styled armour and equipment but place the model in a more dynamic, inspiring pose?  Models of Slambo's vintage were static so they could be cast from a single mold which brings me to another why.  Why is this a multi-part kit? 

He wouldn't be Slambo if he wasn't in Slambo's pose. While the armour, helmet and boots combo is iconic, he's gotta be slamboing. Boris's version might borrow the look, but he's not Slambo and not half as cool.

The new version isn't perfect, but I gave in and ordered him. Now I want a new version of Gladstone the Large. Though I guess then his name wouldn't be ironic.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6049 on: February 18, 2017, 12:48:14 PM »
I went with the box of old models dressed up as old Warhammer Quest that's trying to please everyone that bitched about Silver Tower not being old Warhammer Quest but that won't please any of those people anyway.  lol

The new SC are very nice but I think I'll wait and see if GW put together a bargain price collection later in the year. If they do that with Tzeentch I'm screwed.  :D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6050 on: February 18, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »
The new SC are very nice but I think I'll wait and see if GW put together a bargain price collection later in the year. If they do that with Tzeentch I'm screwed.  :D

The monthly budget screamed: BUY THEM NOW! So I did.

As for Tzeentch... it's only a matter of time. Some great minis in that collection. Have a couple projects that need to get finished first, then they are a sure buy.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #6051 on: February 18, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »
Yeah, I can see a Tzeentch army project later this year... :( :D

Went to Warhammer World for the first time yesterday evening while the kids went to a concert in Nottingham.  Brilliant place!  Food was nice, shops are dangerously good, the gaming hall is ace.  Saving the exhibitions for another visit.

Spent my pennies on the Rogue Trader reprint - fond memories!

Just when you think GW are learning though, I saw the new Dwarf goat riders for the Hobbit... £45 for 3 cavalry models in 28mm  ;D

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6052 on: February 18, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
The monthly budget screamed: BUY THEM NOW! So I did.

As for Tzeentch... it's only a matter of time. Some great minis in that collection. Have a couple projects that need to get finished first, then they are a sure buy.

My monthly budget screamed NO! But I wanted the free GM's screen... and Slambo. I bet he'll have rules in WD for use in WQ at some point.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6053 on: February 18, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
Just when you think GW are learning though, I saw the new Dwarf goat riders for the Hobbit... £45 for 3 cavalry models in 28mm  ;D

FW resin though.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #6054 on: February 18, 2017, 03:01:26 PM »
FW resin though.

Well, just FW  ;)  Although Scibor's goat riders are currently €35 for 3 and Unreleased Minis will sell you 4 in metal for £42.

Beautiful models though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:10:34 PM by Momotaro »

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6055 on: February 18, 2017, 03:13:38 PM »
Thankfully I have no interest in LotR (never seen the films or read the book!). Now, when the new edition of 40K comes out I might be in trouble.  ;)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #6056 on: February 18, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »
Yeah, it does say something about them that I'm still kind of "well maybe one day..." over the models  :D

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6057 on: February 18, 2017, 06:14:41 PM »
Hmm... The new Slambo does have better proportioned axes, but to me it seems a little strange that the 'improved' Slambo looks pretty much like the old one, except a little less characterful. I always thought that the chaos exhalted lord with two axes was the improved Slambo. I have never been a fan of the Slambo pose- it seemed to be the perfect miniature to highlight the problem with most due weld miniatures to be honest. I may be interested if GW produce improved versions of some of the other classic chaos warriors but there is still the resin issue, I guess that they mean finecast?...

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #6058 on: February 18, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
I'm not into Tzeentch but seeing those figures give me hope that Grandfather Nurgle will get the same treatment as them and the servants of the blood god.  Once I set eyes on those putrefying meatbags I'll have to go all in.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #6059 on: February 18, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »
I have been gradually assembling a Tzeentch for a few years now. So far the only Newhammer models I have in it are the familiars from  Silver Tower which I got on ebay. But that may well change. The gaunt summoner and one or two other things look nice.

I may have a go at making my own Magnus the Red some day, since the citadel versions do not portray him how I imagine him at all.

Also, I was thinking, in the Lost and The Damned book there is a chaos reward called "face of Tzeentch", but there is no miniature for that. It would be nice to have one, i think that could look cool.