Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:22:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1743020 times)

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6120 on: March 13, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »
lol

You know what I mean. :p

Same CAD doll.

Speaking of which, I'm quite happy with the way GW does it. Corvus Belli (Infinity guys) seem to do random sizes in terms of scale.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6121 on: March 13, 2017, 08:53:33 PM »
You know what I mean. :p

Same CAD doll.

Speaking of which, I'm quite happy with the way GW does it. Corvus Belli (Infinity guys) seem to do random sizes in terms of scale.

:D

The last lost of Infinity models I painted seemed a bit smaller than some of the other ones I'd done. Not a fan of scale shrink. Sometimes I suspect it's sculptors trying to show off with how tiny they can make things (and some people buy into the bullshit and think they're getting quality because it's teeny weeny!).

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #6122 on: March 13, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »
:D

The last lost of Infinity models I painted seemed a bit smaller than some of the other ones I'd done. Not a fan of scale shrink. Sometimes I suspect it's sculptors trying to show off with how tiny they can make things (and some people buy into the bullshit and think they're getting quality because it's teeny weeny!).

It's not scale shrink, it's just the fact they outsource their modelling and no one seems to do any quality assurance on the scale. Models after Operation Icestorm are actually bigger in scale on average, but no one bothers to check the differences.

I mean, it's easily excusable just through saying "Oh gene manipulation" or something but it still irritates me.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6123 on: March 13, 2017, 10:07:31 PM »
It's not scale shrink, it's just the fact they outsource their modelling and no one seems to do any quality assurance on the scale. Models after Operation Icestorm are actually bigger in scale on average, but no one bothers to check the differences.

I mean, it's easily excusable just through saying "Oh gene manipulation" or something but it still irritates me.

There are a lot of quality assurance issues with Infinity models that I could point out to Corvus Belli. Assembling their models is a chore at best whereas I look at modern day GW sprues and really want to put the models together. One reason why CB have got none of my money and GW have (a lot).  ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6124 on: March 13, 2017, 11:15:46 PM »
The Infinity mini's are awesome.

But, agreed, they are tiny weeny and putting them together can cause the clinching of teeth.

If they were at least 10% bigger I would have bought more than just a single one off buy.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6125 on: March 14, 2017, 11:47:04 AM »
I'm quite happy with the size of the current Infinity figures, but I intensely dislike the size differences between the same weapons on different models.

Whilst I suppose that in the future weapons could be slightly scaled to better suit users who are significantly outside the normal distribution curve, I cannot imagine that everyone having a personalised custom-scaled weapon is very logistically effective. It also makes conversions unbelievably difficult.

The other thing that rather annoys me is the very limited number of unique models in the current boxed sets. I get that for the weapons to have some interchangeability between then sculpts there needs to effectively be fewer significant differences, but the bodies are normally identical - not even variation in things like pouches, straps, equipment, etc. A great pity, as I would think that having all these digital sculpts would actually make this sort of thing easier.

Anyway, that's Infinity, and so not really appropriate in this thread.  ::)

Moving on, there appears to be an image of a new "Space Marine 2.0" figure floating around:

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6126 on: March 14, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Yeah, that's caused a damn firestorm on places like Dakka - whether it's real or not. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6127 on: March 14, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »
This looks rubbish at first glance, but apparently it's a big box of multilevel terrain (and scouts and orks) using the Necromunda rules for multi-race skirmish.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/14/new-game-announced-at-gama-trade-show/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6128 on: March 14, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »
On the face of it, that's awfully "meh" and I think we're looking at something more akin to Gangs of Comorragh(?) than a proper Necromunda replacement.  My money's on a handful of old plastic scout and ork sprues (both dated and mediocre) and some terrain sprues for $60.  It could just be a super "meh" game which is really another GW clandestine sale mechanic.  Note they never have sales or discounts but they randomly package up boxed games/forces which are genuinely decent deals.

I doubt we're looking at a Necromunda succesor.  Only thing which would interest me would be new quality plastic/card terrain --- but we have so many MDF sources for that it'd have to be damn good.  My money's on a simple $60 boxed game as an excuse to get a bunch of scouts/ork boys for cheap.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6129 on: March 14, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »
This looks rubbish at first glance, but apparently it's a big box of multilevel terrain (and scouts and orks) using the Necromunda rules for multi-race skirmish.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/14/new-game-announced-at-gama-trade-show/

OK, that would be the Necromunda that everyone was expecting.  lol

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6130 on: March 14, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
The GW rep on the Dice Tower stream did specifically say the it was based on Necromunda and that rules for all factions/ races were included in the box, which is big apparently. Mind you, he did seem a bit vague on things in general so who knows.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #6131 on: March 14, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »
It would only really be worth it if we get some nice new plastics. If it is just a rehash with reboxed old crap, will probably give it a pass.  It is mouthwatering to think what they could do with their current quality level for some plastic gangers...  :-*
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6132 on: March 14, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
The GW rep on the Dice Tower stream did specifically say the it was based on Necromunda and that rules for all factions/ races were included in the box, which is big apparently. Mind you, he did seem a bit vague on things in general so who knows.

Could be neat. If they are being fluff-oriented on this, there were some interesting things showing up in the Armageddon book(s). Adepta Sororitas, Assassins, several marine factions, Officio Sabatorum, etc.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6133 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:55 PM »

If it's another £35 cheapie then I'll likely grab a copy for the sake of it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6134 on: March 14, 2017, 09:33:59 PM »
That's...all the terrain?  :?