Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694582
  • Total Topics: 118617
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733947 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6150 on: March 15, 2017, 03:05:33 PM »
Not sure I'm keen on the new dwarf stuff

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #6151 on: March 15, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
If you remove some of the clunk I really really like the dwarfs, but not at all as any kind of fantasy race...they're squats plain and simple.  I think they'll be seeing a TON of non-GW gaming use from people.  I'd definitely consider building up a cool Squat side-force for 2nd ed. 40K.
Yeah I think they would suit a more mining influenced squat force.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6152 on: March 15, 2017, 04:11:29 PM »
Not sure I'm keen on the new dwarf stuff

I'll probably buy the ships and convert them to VSF.

Overall though, the release is a pretty remarkable by GW and is pretty "out of left field" for them. And that is kewl!

There is also a new AoS starter box coming as well with Khorne cast in red and the Stormcast cast in Gold. Now that is a "starter" box, where folks only need to put together the minis and can then start playing.

The amount of stuff coming out this year is just... well... staggering.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6153 on: March 15, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
I'll probably buy the ships and convert them to VSF.

I was just thinking that the AoS stuff veers more and more in the steam punk direction. Not necessarily bad, as it befits the 'baroque' style better.

I'd never finish assembling and painting one of those airships, though. I already dread assembling the 5 Mantic Forge Father Steel Warriors I dug out earlier today, to give me some much needed diversion from painting Vikings  lol Too many parts.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:14:28 PM by Argonor »
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6154 on: March 15, 2017, 05:01:08 PM »
The amount of stuff coming out this year is just... well... staggering.

I can't keep up, that's for sure.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6155 on: March 15, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »
Yeah I think they would suit a more mining influenced squat force.

I am certainly considering getting hold of some as I think these are some of the best things that GW have released in a long time.
In fact, I must admit, I am surprised at just how much I am liking quite a few things that they have released lately.
First the Gryph Hounds and now these.

I shall look forward to seeing the price point at the discounters and may cave and buy something, other than their old washes, from them for the first time in about a decade.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6156 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:56 PM »
My one large disappointment looking back at the dwarfs is that the balloons for their airships are not fabric/cloth (i.e. something useful in far more kit-bashes for a variety of things).  The floating metal orbs w/ cannons is a bit much.  I'd like to see someone take the kits and tone them down immensely to something more palatable.  I think there is a huge source of "bits" here though.  I already started looking at 2nd ed. Squat rules...(sigh)
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #6157 on: March 15, 2017, 10:36:13 PM »
 MOM miniatures have a great looking Dwarf Airship coming out soon.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #6158 on: March 15, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
Those squat/dwarf airships are pretty cool. I was struggling to tell if they were fantasy or scifi at first.

Do you think with AoS they are going for a convergence of WH and 40k?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6159 on: March 15, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »
The whole aim of AoS at the moment is to create "unique" GW-only IP products.  Within a year or two you'll see no links to "classic" fantasy anymore.  Classical or historical fantasy can't be copyrighted and protected.

I will say the steam dwarfs look far more sci-fi than they do any kind of fantasy.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #6160 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:43 PM »
I will say the steam dwarfs look far more sci-fi than they do any kind of fantasy.

I agree.
That is the way I am looking at these at least.

And your earlier comment on 'toning them down' are shared too.
 ;)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6161 on: March 15, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »

Hmm ... they've got kind of a Philip Pullman vibe, I think. To me, they're far more sci-fi than fantasy - but then 40K is far more fantasy than sci-fi ...

I rather like them. My only real objection would be that the sky-pirate/steampunk stuff is sufficiently interesting for them not to be dwarfs: I'm not sure their short stature really adds much.

The airships will be very handy for Hordes of the Things: airboats are a standard troop type in that game, but one for which there are precious few models ...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6162 on: March 16, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
I like the steampunk dwarfs - weird metal balloons and all.

> Are the models a bit busy? Maybe, but I think the chosen colour scheme's probably to blame as well/

> Are they more sci-fi than fantasy? Yes, but that's not unheard of either. I've played lots of computer games with steampunk/clockwork goblins/dwarfs in them, and this fits pretty closely to that aesthetic. Maybe deliberately to attract a new generation who cut their teeth on computer games rather than analogue toys?

> Do they fit AoS? Er, hard to say - it's a very barren game-verse right now, so who knows? Certainly it's very advanced-looking compared to all the other factions we've seen so far, but we've had rumours of this for a *long* time now (along with rumours of huge dwarf golems). We also have the human engineers to come at some point too.

As for the Shadow War... Hmm. Disappointed that it's not actually Necromunda. Also a little disappointed that the opportunity wasn't used used to update some fairly old and horrible kits - but I guess the point of the game is to try and shift them. The terrain looks cool generally, but is once again *really* busy like all their other stuff - that will probably put me off as it has done before (shame :( ). However, I'd definitely still be tempted to see if I can snag the rules pamphlet - I pretty much have everything I need to play otherwise. :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6163 on: March 16, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »
I think this just reinforces ... if it needed reinforcing ... that GW has now taken its games somewhere else. No point me harping on about the 'good old days' because that genre doesn't exist for GW any more and it's tapping into a different market.

That's okay, that's why the Oldhammer stuff has such a happy little following. Vive la difference and all that. 
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6164 on: March 16, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »
Yes, indeed.

I think that's why I like the dwarf stuff - it's not even trying to be "Warhammer" in my eyes.