Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:23:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733891 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6360 on: April 22, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »
Yep, very AoS...which will alienate a lot of people, and then bring alternate players in/back.  Horus Heresy will remain with its current rule set for the foreseeable future.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #6361 on: April 22, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »
I wonder if they'll get away from 'I go, you go'. Or at least, 'I do all my turn, you do all your turn'. Something like Burning of Prospero, maybe, but less of a mess. It's a shame AoS didn't follow the Lord of the Rings turn sequence at least.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6362 on: April 22, 2017, 04:37:51 PM »
I'm a bit sad that I don't have a full 40K army anymore. Sold them off to my great regret...

I suppose now is the time to put the nose to the grindstone and really work on my Sororitas.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #6363 on: April 22, 2017, 04:42:46 PM »
Well this is going to make me very happy. Our group is sticking with 7th edition. I can get all the 7th codices now for cheap on Ebay once they release the new crap. Score!

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6364 on: April 22, 2017, 05:01:14 PM »
Well, to each his own.

I've played 7th ed only once and, while I enjoyed throwing some dice with a friend, I found the game utter rubbish.

If the new edition actually improves gameplay, especially with free/cheap rules/codices, I might actually start playig again.

If not, I'll just find alternative rules.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6365 on: April 22, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
Well this is going to make me very happy. Our group is sticking with 7th edition. I can get all the 7th codices now for cheap on Ebay once they release the new crap. Score!

Or they'll be sold for twice the price because they're OOP RARE Collectible L@@K.  ;)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6366 on: April 22, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
We'll probably stick to 2nd ed.  I think GW will have to do some massive stuff to make me interested in current 40K.  Sadly, AoS has some exceptionally silly things which likewise don't appeal to me. 

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #6367 on: April 23, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »
Stone Cold
The purge has already started. I picked up 6 codices on ebay today for 35-40% off. These were just the ones I really wanted to get, I'll probably wait for the rest to get cheaper.

Played a 4 player game of 7th last night with 4 players 6000pts aside(we have a 20 ft table).Great fun was had by all.

Pete

Edit I just got 5 more at 50-60% off.Man this is great!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 07:10:49 PM by fitterpete »

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #6368 on: April 23, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »
If they make 40k as simply as AoS, I'm back in for the first time since 2nd. Especially seeing as I now have SWA for small scale skirmish and to use my converted Inq28 figures...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6369 on: April 24, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
I think that 40k will be a lot like AoS with some differences.

Namely, given how common vehicles are in 40k (like Rhinos for example), I cannot see that the datafax style cards for these will be anything other than inconvenient. I would therefore expect these to have some simplified form of vehicle rules - maybe key parts of the model's weaponry/mobility stop working at half-wounds or such.

Similarly, whilst the AoS big monster datafaxes (er, warscrolls) are fine, in 40k there is a whole faction that contains many of these big monsters. Again, it will be a pain to play if each one has to be tracked with a card full of effects. On the other hand, something that mirrors a "lighter" vehicle rules like halving certain key stats (WS, BS, and A?) when the monster is at half-wounds would again be fine.

The current AoS monstrous creature warscolls with the detailed degradation of the model's performance as it suffers damage would be then limited to the biggest units - Knights, giant walkers, superheavies, and possibly a few iconic larger-sized units like Land Raiders.

Flyers, which I'm really not a fan of at this scale, would also need some consideration. I suspect that they will continue to be units that come in from off-table and fly across before exiting again. Ultimately though, I'd rather they were kept for big game sizes (or specific scenarios) where appropriate anti-air units can also exist without upsetting game balance.

Lastly, the shooting rules will undoubtedly be tightened up - there's a lot more shooting in 40k than in Fantasy, so it makes sense to define (and possibly more carefully limit) the effects of shooting.

If AoS was four pages of rules (i.e., a sheet of paper folded in half), I can see this new 40k being eight pages long with these changes (i.e., two sheets of paper folded in half).

With respect to the new Marines, I feel this is not just an attempt to large-scale them, nor to force everybody to re-buy their models again. Rather, this is also a golden opportunity for GW to reign in the sheer number of SM kits and create some design/manufacturing space for other armies. I do get that 40k is about humans' struggle against the forces that beset them, but the Marine bias has made it difficult to launch new ranges I think. And, in the end, it's variety that helps to keep things fun and interesting for everyone, so it's still important for non-Marine armies to be popular and receive support/new models.

I hope that GW do some new fun things for 40k, produce some 8E rules that encourage more diverse game sizes and allow for more balanced games, and that they don't torpedo the success of new model kits with too much "bling" or prices that make your eyes water and knees tremble (Sigmarines, I'm looking at you!). And hey, since I'm wishlisting now, I hope that we don't get any more of those horrible 5-model "dual unit" kits!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:16:23 AM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6370 on: April 25, 2017, 01:21:04 AM »
Ok...this is really the New GWTM

As Andy mentioned on tonight’s Warhammer 40,000 Live Q&A over on Facebook, our Customer Service teams are all set to give you vouchers for any codexes or Warhammer 40,000 rulebooks you’ve bought in the last 8 weeks.

So, if you’ve just bought a codex for a new army, or the rules for Warhammer 40,000 itself, in the weeks before the new edition was announced last Saturday, we’ll send you a voucher for the cost of your book. Usually, we’d do this for up to 4 weeks before the update was announced, but as we’re so excited about the new edition of Warhammer 40,000, we’ll be extending this to 8 weeks (8 weeks for the 8th edition!). And of course, you can keep your book(s).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/24/just-bought-a-codex-dont-worry-weve-got-you-covered/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6371 on: April 25, 2017, 01:36:16 AM »
Ok...this is really the New GWTM

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/24/just-bought-a-codex-dont-worry-weve-got-you-covered/

Indeed. We were plannign for this to be GW only purchases but no, Independent stockists count aswell.GW are outright letting people swap in to the game whilst avoiding hurting too many feelings. Seems a solid strategy to get people into trying the game.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6372 on: April 25, 2017, 01:39:37 AM »
They are definitely going a long way to reclaim a lot of lost goodwill. I don't feel so stubborn about purchasing from them.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6373 on: April 25, 2017, 01:57:19 AM »
Here's some news on the 8th Edition, from the live Q&A:

Credit to JT Mcdowell

8th edition summary from the live stream today

-Any weapon can hurt anything.
-Armour values are gone, but Vehicles get weaker as they get damaged.
-No stat capped at 10, and way more damage capacity on things like Knights.
-tactical interrupts with command points,14 basic Force Orgs. to generate those.
-Templates are gone.
-Massive playtesting, Every unit has been reexamined.Balance may be on the horizon!
-Sounds like combined factions like AoS, but everything available Day 1. Codexes with army specific force orgs to generate command points to follow.
-All models and all factions will be represented. Good news!
-"Power Level" points like AoS for narrative and "Matched Play" points similar to now.
-Allies are still viable, but no more sharing abilities across factions. Abilities work by Keyword, like Adeptus Astartes, Astra Militarum or Dark Angel.
-Anyone who has bought a codex in the last 8 weeks will get a voucher for its value, with proof of purchase. Details on the warhammer site. That's massive, and a huge boon to the community.
-Move Stat is also back and the statline will do "a lot more work" wonder what that will look like?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6374 on: April 25, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
Well, they do seem to be changing, and I admit I'm very tempted to have another bash at 40k.