Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 07:14:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696479
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742147 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #6990 on: July 26, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
So while we were out gw released..

A cheesy 80' trailer for the new generals handbook with siege rules, alliance rules and a whole load of new content.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/25/game-changing-again/

Codex Space marines with preorders for the new dreadnought as well as teasers for a new chaplain and apothecary .

A new edition of Talisman and expansions out for Christmas.

rereleased the bloodbowl dice that sold out on release.

And for anyone that picked up the evning standard the other day there was an article in there about GW's amazing profits this year compared to previous years.

Oh, And Tom Kirby just left....
https://investor.games-workshop.com/2017/07/25/retirement-of-tom-kirby-as-non-executive-chairman/
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6991 on: July 26, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »
Yep, and the Space Marine codex is out in the wild being reviewed and gamed.  Some interesting choices (both good and bad).  A lot of hints at the beginning of the decline of normal Space Marines already.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #6992 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
I played my first game of 40k 8th tonight and while not as fun as I find Bolt Action and Gates it was still a good hour of fun.

Will I go out of my way and drop other games in favour of it? No, Will I play it again? Yes I think I will.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6993 on: July 26, 2017, 10:12:56 PM »
The trick is to adapt the unit activations to 40K (shouldn't be that hard) and find a person with a reasonable attitude akin to yours.  I think it's a good basis to "create" a solid game.

Offline Chico

• Mastermind
  • I came, I saw and I ate your pie.
    • Oldhammer on a Budget
« Reply #6994 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »
The trick is to adapt the unit activations to 40K (shouldn't be that hard) and find a person with a reasonable attitude akin to yours.  I think it's a good basis to "create" a solid game.

Honestly I think there's really no point for me in adding random activations in 40k as It's just easier to play Gates when I want  a sci fi game like that and 40k when I fancy something else.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #6995 on: July 27, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
So while we were out gw released..

A cheesy 80' trailer for the new generals handbook with siege rules, alliance rules and a whole load of new content.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/25/game-changing-again/

A new edition of Talisman and expansions out for Christmas.

Interesting. Still have to play my second AoS game, but the rulebook and general additions ( General's Handbook, Skirmish )  I'll keep collecting, so that goes for this one aswell. The specific Army/Scenario Books I'll pass on, one cannot have everything.
Talisman, never owned a copy so maybe this will be my first version.
Leadhead

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #6996 on: July 27, 2017, 12:34:06 PM »

Our group is considering this. We are completely sold on Bolt Action and Gates of Antares. The fact we have 40k figures into which we've put time and money means we keep an eye on 40k even if we haven't played for a couple of years. We also still like the background.

We just can't bring ourselves to play a Ugo Igo game anymore. That leaves us with using our figures for other rules systems (Pulp Alley, Clash on the Fringe etc. which we already do) or tweaking 40k to make it more like our beloved Warlord games.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #6997 on: July 27, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
Our group is considering this. We are completely sold on Bolt Action and Gates of Antares. The fact we have 40k figures into which we've put time and money means we keep an eye on 40k even if we haven't played for a couple of years. We also still like the background.

We just can't bring ourselves to play a Ugo Igo game anymore. That leaves us with using our figures for other rules systems (Pulp Alley, Clash on the Fringe etc. which we already do) or tweaking 40k to make it more like our beloved Warlord games.

This. I used to be a massive WHFB fan and played it all the time, even going to tourneys. Eventually that died off and I moved house to a more remote area so played less, fewer players around. When I did find a gaming buddy he was more into historical so we both tried the other side of the fence games. Now I find I prefer other games rules - Saga, Bolt Action, Antares, etc. Warhammer seems so clumsy and clunky and, well, pretty dull really. I just use my huge collection of fantasy figures in other rules systems. At one time I never thought I would stop playing WHFB, absolutely loved it. Now, I can't imagine ever playing it again, I enjoy other systems far, far more.

I guess the moral of the story is to be less dogmatic, try something new rather than sticking with the same old, same old.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6998 on: July 27, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you guys.  While I play a bit of 8th, my true heart lies with 2nd and with our revisions which introduced alternating activations.  I'm looking to do some alternate types of Warhammer 40K games with the local group - we're going to be doing a general's overview (where a commander in a separate room is issuing short orders based on poor feedback during the game, etc.).  Anything to change up the monotony of the basic 40K game. 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6999 on: July 27, 2017, 01:41:11 PM »
@ Nord:

Same thing happened to me. Once I played other games (Warmachine in my case), the way GW writes rules and balances games just seemed to be not very good.

For example, I used to *love* Necromunda despite it's poor balance; then my friend and I played Infinity pretty thoroughly, and when I finally returned to Necromunda, it felt flat and dull by comparison (gameplay-wise, as background-wise I still love it).

Gradually found the same thing with most of the other "big rule" GW games too, and I think only some of the boardgames, BFG, and Epic have actually stood up well over time.

On the other hand, I have discovered lots of other games that I really enjoy now, so that's a pretty good outcome I feel. I still dabble in GW games, but I find their models to be waay superior to their games (generally speaking! ;)). When I do play GW games nowadays, it's purely for nostalgia reasons rather than because the games are inherently good.

[..] we're going to be doing a general's overview (where a commander in a separate room is issuing short orders based on poor feedback during the game, etc.).  Anything to change up the monotony of the basic 40K game. 

So... Kreigsspeile then? ;)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7000 on: July 27, 2017, 03:17:53 PM »
I'd like to try Necromunda with alternate activation actually.  8)

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7001 on: July 27, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »
Well I folded and have the First Strike boxed set, and I have now ordered the Know no Fear boxed set and a couple of months ago I got the Shadow War: Armageddon rulebook.

I've barely bought any GW for years, what's bloody going on lol

But I know one thing, no more baby marines for me o_o

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7002 on: July 27, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
I'd like to try Necromunda with alternate activation actually.  8)

Try it with Bolt Action-style activation maybe? That way it's a bit more tense than alternative activation or IGOUGO.

Also, I think that any model should always have a free shoot reaction if targeted (i.e., shot at or charged), and only Overwatch allows you to shoot at an activating model freely (regardless of whether the Overwatching model was targeted or not). That way there is a bit more risk to certain actions, and combined with the activation mechanic suggested above can produce much more interesting games.

Of course, you're still saddled with D6, but at least with the above changes the game feels more risk-reward than the original version. :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7003 on: July 27, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »
Yep, you can make almost any game 10x more intriguing by throwing poker cards at it.  I particularly enjoy the system I use in Shoot N' Skedaddle where each character on the table activates on two cards --- meaning there's even more calculating involved (and the rare instance when a character activates twice in a row).

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7004 on: July 29, 2017, 12:41:40 AM »
I have to say things have indeed changed...a few years ago I was praising warlord as a great/friendly company and had abandoned GW...now GW are on the rise and im finding that as warlord have gotten bigger they have become more GW-like.