Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:13:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734125 times)

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7335 on: September 07, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
I would rather keep the old Marines ,too . Yes I am so old that I remember Rough trader and just love the old beaky Marines!
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #7336 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
I would rather keep the old Marines ,too . Yes I am so old that I remember Rough trader and just love the old beaky Marines!

There's not going to be any problem keeping them. 

It's getting new ones that's going to become impossible. 

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7337 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »
I rather like the "Primani" new Marines, not only because they are a proper size, but mainly because they are relatively clean (detail wise) without too many flippity-widget unnecessary bits as the current crop appear to be, to my eyes anyway.

This was one of the reasons I was yearning for some RTB01 plastics and early RT/2nd metals because in general they were much cleaner and less fussy, but then LO! Primaris Marines and bingo! lol I brought the First Strike and Know No Fear boxsets and I haven't paid GW for anything direct for many a year, trust me I was gobsmacked at myself........

Then again I don`t have a lot invested in the "stunty" marines. As of now, I have an unbuilt tactical squad which may well become renegade humans in power armour? My Blood Angels are for Space Hulk (2nd ed), so no problem.

My new Primani are Space Wolves, but proper grey (not baby duck-egg blue) yuk!, but will be suitably dirty and gritty looking, all are mounted on clear bases, my plague marine forces will be based on clear bases also.

I will be interested to see what they do for Grey Knights, Deathwatch et all? I like them both but I will not be buying any "stunty" marines from now on, so it be interesting to see what happens?

See you from the other side of the plastic and pewter mountain

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7338 on: September 07, 2017, 07:57:40 PM »
Not understanding why the new 3 death guard are £25, the anniversary marine is £20 and Mortarion is £85.

The previous 3 death guard are £10
5 multi part primaris are £20
And magnus and gulliman are both cheaper primarchs

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7339 on: September 07, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »
Yep, there's no real logic to that one short of "ohhh, limited edition" kind of silliness.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #7340 on: September 07, 2017, 11:12:24 PM »
Not understanding why the new 3 death guard are £25, the anniversary marine is £20 and Mortarion is £85.

The previous 3 death guard are £10
5 multi part primaris are £20
And magnus and gulliman are both cheaper primarchs

People will happily pay those prices, that's why.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7341 on: September 08, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »

Sad but true, expect the same every time they release one.  I dread to think what the price will be on the last one they release, to complete the set, as I bet they will look at gradually doing each one..for  a little bit more each time.

As great as their new approach to other things seems to be, don't see the price policy ever changing,

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7342 on: September 08, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
Sad but true, expect the same every time they release one.  I dread to think what the price will be on the last one they release, to complete the set, as I bet they will look at gradually doing each one..for  a little bit more each time.

As great as their new approach to other things seems to be, don't see the price policy ever changing,

Which is why I will be converting an easy-build intersessor into a primaris librarian and an easy build riever into a lone wolf for my wolf puppies, i am not now or ever going to pay £22.50 RRP for a single mini no matter what :o lol

I will get some of those aggressors though :-*

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7343 on: September 08, 2017, 08:46:07 PM »
I Won't :p

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #7344 on: September 08, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »
I agree - more likely "some people". And yes, the slow boiling of a lobster in a pot of warm water is always a good sales technique.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7345 on: September 10, 2017, 08:32:02 PM »
Apparently the 3 death guard blokes are priced so high because they have a book of designers notes/artwork prints with them.
sort of a release collectors item i guess?
Eh, I'm sure someone want them.

On the bright side the new deathguard terminators look very pretty! It's almost a shame since they look alot like typhus, And will inevitably make typhus look extra tiny, And the typhus sculpt is still amazing.

EDIT:

I'be got a problem now...
That overpriced box? It comes with 3 very nice prints of john blanches nurgle sketches.
I've paid more than that for prints and these 3 would look very nice framed alongside my display case.

I'll be honest, at this point I',m thinking everything else in the box is extraneous..
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:55:01 PM by nic-e »
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7346 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:21 PM »
Isn't there a new Typhusdoimg the rounds on Instagram?

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7347 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28:15 PM »
Isn't there a new Typhusdoimg the rounds on Instagram?

Just had a look (search for #typhus and it's in the top posts along with all the nurgle stuff that's on the way.)
It isn't bad... certainly a great sculpt. I think the problem is that the typhus sculpt was just great anyway! Having him with his scythe raised certainly help shim stand out against the new deathshrouds but there was always something very pragmatic and solemn about the old sculpt , he wasn't pointing or shouting, just silently killing.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7348 on: September 12, 2017, 12:27:03 AM »
And the new Typhus mini is friggin' huge (read: larger than a Gravis Captain fella).  Personally I think the old mini trumps it...the new one is just "meh", but you can always toss his head on one of the other Deathshroud fellas.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7349 on: September 12, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »
It isn't bad... certainly a great sculpt. I think the problem is that the typhus sculpt was just great anyway! Having him with his scythe raised certainly help shim stand out against the new deathshrouds but there was always something very pragmatic and solemn about the old sculpt , he wasn't pointing or shouting, just silently killing.

Exactly what I was thinking...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!