Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 06:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696477
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742118 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7380 on: September 25, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
There seems to definitely be a hold over from WFB for a lot of players when it comes to AoS. I've not played WFB since 3rd edition but even then any area of dense terrain just got played around as moving units in ranks and files through it was a pain. Whatever game though, I think narrative play suits a more terrain filled table but a lot of people seem to prefer the competitive mind set and a clean table.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7381 on: September 25, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
Yes, it's sadly funny that many gamers just want to find a way to bend the rules for their own benefit, whether it's about the units, rules, terrain, scenarios or whatnots. Having run some campaigns back in the day running a LFGS it still bugs me so much that I will carry the scars forever in my soul  ::)

Then again, of course with bigger armies the logical thing for a proper battle _field_ would be that field with a hut in the middle/side and two opposing armies clashing over it, maybe a forest on one side and hill on the other. And then for good skirmish gaming the table should be cluttered with nice terrain pieces... that's one reason why I prefer skirmish gaming nowadays, another being that I might actually paint enough minis for a skirmish game but not for a proper army  lol

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7382 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:13 PM »
https://warhammerunderworlds.com

Cant believe no one is talking about this!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7383 on: September 28, 2017, 09:11:59 PM »
you're right, We need to address these important developments...

I love these little drawings they keep putting on the retail section of their sites.

Shadespir elooks like alot of fun, very much GW's answer to X wing which is no bad thing (I just wish i could stop seeing vloggers and review sites calling it "the new mordheim".they said the same of skirmish and of frostgrave and it just lead to both books being spat on by a large number of players who were misinformed about what they were buying.)

I was hyped up for it when it first leaked but now I've been waiting so long I've become distracted!GW is nothing if not rigourous with it's foreplay but sometimes you just need to stop ,take my wallet, open it up and give it a ruddy good seeing too.As it is my wallet is closed up but making smokey eyes at necromunda....

I will play it if i can and hope to get into it because hey, Gorechosen was amazing fun and i like simple games I can convert up cool miniatures for.

I just wish they'd done this as a september release instead of having it go up against necromunda, because damn there are going to be some torn wallets when that drops.

never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7384 on: September 28, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
Seems like a pretty low price on this too at £40 (although there are people complaining about it already!) so Definitely on my wants list. I'd like to know how much the other two warband sets are but I'm very tempted to just get them as well anyway when released. The skelly set looked great and orruks might be interesting to paint.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7385 on: September 28, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
Well I'm loving the price it's going out at, and extra war bands for £20 that's pretty good too! It's nice you don't have too many figures to paint to get playing

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #7386 on: September 28, 2017, 10:29:03 PM »
I'm into the khorne models for shadespie, I find the Bloodbound (?) kit a bit restrictive so it'll be nice to have a bit more variety in a warband if nothing else.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #7387 on: September 29, 2017, 10:39:47 AM »
Yeah, well, what's to talk about? I'll get my copy when it's available and I will probably go for all the warbands. Khorne and Death are a must and the rest, well, I'm a hoarder  :'(.
Leadhead

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7388 on: September 30, 2017, 12:01:07 AM »
The new cardboard game board is up on the new Zealand site.

No idea what the price is yet because NZ to GBP exchange means nothing to GW.

That cardboard looks really thick, to the point that i thought these were demo pictures using prints pasted onto plywood.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7389 on: October 01, 2017, 02:15:03 AM »
The new cardboard game board is up on the new Zealand site.

No idea what the price is yet because NZ to GBP exchange means nothing to GW.

That cardboard looks really thick, to the point that i thought these were demo pictures using prints pasted onto plywood.

Together with the four little plastic ruins, the set runs £50. And on the other side from the board is a "red Mars" landscape that's in the style of the old plastic Realm Of Battle board (might even be a high-res overhead photo of one).

One minor thing to note is that it's a few inches smaller than 6'x4' area when set up.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7390 on: October 01, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
And £40 elsewhere so even better value.

It'll be interesting to see how hard wearing the boards are.

Offline Derek H

• Librarian
  • Derek H
« Reply #7391 on: October 03, 2017, 07:46:48 AM »
https://warhammerunderworlds.com

Cant believe no one is talking about this!

Interesting review of Shadespire at http://www.mengelminiatures.com/2017/10/review-shadespire.html

I really like those undead.  They will probably wind up joining by Dragon Rampant warband. 

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7392 on: October 03, 2017, 10:45:15 AM »
Yes. Those undead are very, very nice. I might say the best undead GW have brought out (And I still have a lot of love for the 90's undead due to the nostalgia). Just wish they were metal lol.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7393 on: October 03, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
Yes. Those undead are very, very nice. I might say the best undead GW have brought out (And I still have a lot of love for the 90's undead due to the nostalgia). Just wish they were metal lol.

You'll have fly away plastic skellies and be grateful! Just don't sneeze near them.  ;)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #7394 on: October 03, 2017, 01:54:45 PM »
So Shadespire came about after the miniatures design team made some random push-fit figures originally intended for AoS release, and WQ Silver Tower's rules were written after the miniatures in the box were all decided. Imagine what they could do if they coordinated rules and figures from the start! ;D