Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 11:54:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696505
  • Total Topics: 118772
  • Online Today: 566
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742518 times)

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7740 on: December 08, 2017, 09:06:49 AM »
I have that in book form.
Same. Got it on eBay and it wasn't expensive as I recall. This pre-dates the Oldhammer explosion though, so no doubt it is pricey these days. Lovely item.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #7741 on: December 08, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
Same. Got it on eBay and it wasn't expensive as I recall. This pre-dates the Oldhammer explosion though, so no doubt it is pricey these days. Lovely item.

Yeah got that too, never played but I used to love pouring over it as a lad.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7742 on: December 08, 2017, 10:36:09 PM »
I was looking at my copy just today!

Bought direct off the shop shelf of local hobby shop when it was shiny new and took far to good care of it over the years.

sigh....

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #7743 on: December 08, 2017, 11:11:32 PM »
Yeah got that too, never played but I used to love pouring over it as a lad.

Ditto.
Never actually played that edition but really enjoyed reading through them.

I now have almost all of the original campaign packs for when I can finally nail our old rpg group down for a regular game  sometime....
It may happen one day.
 ::)

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
« Reply #7744 on: December 10, 2017, 09:21:40 PM »
I was struck by an urge to procure Blood Bowl stuff this morning and was disappointed by the price s on eBay of 3rd edition models, not least because I have already got a fair bit. To my surprise GW have still failed to make it possible to build teams properly in most cases. What have people on here done? Any tips? Some non-GW stuff is ok but I'm much more interested in the proper mini's. Not really interested in kit-bashing either, and if anyone suggests converting AoS models there will be trouble.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7745 on: December 11, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Really in the lapse of normal Blood Bowl, a bunch of alternate 3rd party teams became available - mostly in resin.  Stuff like Black Scorpion, etc.  This was what carried Blood Bowl for a decade or more in the market's absence.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7746 on: December 11, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »
I was struck by an urge to procure Blood Bowl stuff this morning and was disappointed by the price s on eBay of 3rd edition models, not least because I have already got a fair bit. To my surprise GW have still failed to make it possible to build teams properly in most cases. What have people on here done? Any tips? Some non-GW stuff is ok but I'm much more interested in the proper mini's. Not really interested in kit-bashing either, and if anyone suggests converting AoS models there will be trouble.

Have this ork team for sale if interested?

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
« Reply #7747 on: December 11, 2017, 08:54:24 PM »
Have this ork team for sale if interested?
Thanks, will consider it. I actually had those but they went missing somehow.

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #7749 on: December 15, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »
Ah, Shadows Over Bögenhafen.

We made it exactly to the point where some pompous windbag of a noblewoman informed us that she and her bodyguard would be
taking the coach and we could wait a few weeks for the next one. Said bodyguard was willing to enforce this with violence.

Being the fine and upstanding ladies and gentlemen we were, we killed the bodyguard, noblewoman and coachman to boot,
then ran off with the coach that was later used for firewood and the horses for steeds.

None of us ever set foot in Bögenhafen.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7750 on: December 15, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
There's nothing quite as pitiful as the look on a GM's face, when their carefully crafted and beautifully planned scenario, potentially running for several in-depth and meticulous weeks, suddenly gets torpedoed by psychotic players 'thinking outside the box'.

I recall one game (forget which) where, to the surprise of the GM, none of the characters decided they wanted to go to visit the tavern after a long journey. 'A good night's sleep and a fresh start in the morning' was the order of the day. After chewing his lip for a couple of seconds, he stated, "There's a giant flashing neon sign above the tavern, with an arrow pointing down, saying 'PLOT HINT HERE'.' We visited the tavern.

There was another wonderful game (run by my brother) where, in the middle of a modern day murder-mystery scenario, one of the characters in the party decided to shoot a policeman's helmet off his head, to stop him being annoying. The inevitable bad rolling happened and the story came to a grinding halt as he was arrested for murdering the poor man in cold blood. Sigh. Who'd be a GM?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7751 on: December 15, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
Been there, done that.

(buys new book for RPG game)

First player/NPC interaction, player gets upset and punches prominent (read: entire story revolves around him) NPC...whilst wearing power armour.  NPC is turned into a paste, and I tossed the book aside and we played some Nintenda 64 while I fumed.  >:(

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7752 on: December 15, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »
GM's have to think on their feet and roll with the punches as players do dumb stuff all the time.

My rule of thumb is a three point story arc with a few paragraphs of plot points scribbled down is sufficient for an adventure design.

Meticulous notes and pages of description make the wheels fall off more often than not.

Agreed. I tend to draw a rough map of the plot with a few key encounters, and then fudge it to get the players there without them realising.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #7753 on: December 15, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
Who'd be a GM?

I've GM'd many times.
The PTSD is what made me the player I'm today.

Online FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #7754 on: December 15, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »
GM's have to think on their feet and roll with the punches as players do dumb stuff all the time.

My rule of thumb is a three point story arc with a few paragraphs of plot points scribbled down is sufficient for an adventure design.

Meticulous notes and pages of description make the wheels fall off more often than not.

bAtal planz nOver survivze kontAKt wif de emEny!!!1

- Warnob Klawzwitz

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.