Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:47:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696474
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742018 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7770 on: December 27, 2017, 07:30:16 AM »
Yes. A pale grey, almost white would look rather sickening. Purplish blotches etc. But Nurgle stuff has always been green I guess.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7771 on: December 27, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
I like the new heralds of nurgle. A dancing jester with his old mentors head on a stick and a frankly hideous (in a good way) sculpt of a tallyman with a giant distended mouth perched on his shouler that wouldn't like out of place in a hieronymus bosch fever dream.

I'm curious to see what else they do. they've mentioned the mortal followers of nurgle, and since the blightkings are a new kit, perhaps we could be getting nurgle cultists or pestigors.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7772 on: December 27, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »
Also, GW should just up and make a cartoon.
These little shorts are really fun.

(all nurgle lords are from somerset now.)

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #7773 on: January 01, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
Have this ork team for sale if interested?
Quick update: while visiting an old friend today my old orc team miraculously resurfaced in amongst all his old GW! A pleasant surprise to kick off 2018.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7774 on: January 02, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
New beast of Nurgle isn't quite what I thought it was going to be!

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #7775 on: January 04, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
I don't know about you all, but my second love in wargaming was dusty skeletons. I've built up a collection of them, and paint them fondly.

After AoS dropped, GW cut the TK line from production. This is a sad state of affairs, as vampires have been done to death in fantasy gaming and the TK offered a unique asthetic.

Personally I think the core skellies just needed a reboot to be in line with the tomb guard, and the range would have sold like hotcakes. Strong core troops, strong monsters, strong heroes.

I want to hear other gamers reasons for/against get bringing back the TK range. What are your thoughts.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7776 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:47 PM »
@staff and/or more experienced users

Trying to read between the lines here; does this thread exist to basically discourage users from discussing GW products on LAF?

I can understand why quarantining the vitriol was a good move in 2013 (as a moderator on Dakka Dakka, I have special sympathy) but it may be time to rethink this policy thanks to GW turning their business model around and being much more customer friendly.

Unless GW is too "mainstream" for LAF or similar?

@stone-cold-lead

I can't think of a single reason NOT to bring TK back. A substantial portion of the line is practically brand new. Core units need updating but otherwise the product line is completely suitable for the setting and mechanics of Age of Sigmar. As I mentioned in the other thread, GW's biggest challenge at the moment seems to be production capacity. They cannot keep up with demand for their plastics. Here's hoping they will expand production capacity with some of the record 2017 revenues.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:49:24 PM by Manchu »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7777 on: January 04, 2018, 05:51:40 PM »
@staff and/or more experienced users

Trying to read between the lines here; does this thread exist to basically discourage users from discussing GW products on LAF?

No, it's designed to stop multiple threads about GW swamping LAF, as per the opening post to this thread. It's explained there.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7778 on: January 04, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »
Rather than specifically targeting the vitriol, I think it was also because with the output GW has at times the fantasy and sci-fi boards were nothing but people discussing GW products. People would then start to discuss things relating to both the original topic and that of other ones and there would be 3-4 nearly identical discussions going on.

Or that is how I remember it, I could be wrong.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7779 on: January 04, 2018, 06:09:26 PM »
No, you’re right. Hence one consolidated topic for all things GW related regarding their products and practices.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7780 on: January 04, 2018, 06:43:37 PM »
Sure I read the OP. Just seems draconian, although, again, during that time period where GW was so anti-customer and a lot of hobbyists were posting perhaps justified but certainly redundant rants about how terrible GW was, I can totally sympathize. But it seems like the answer is just, GW was just too popular of a subject. And that won't have changed now, with GW doing a lot better on its customer-facing performance.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:47:47 PM by Manchu »

Offline MachinaMandala

• Librarian
« Reply #7781 on: January 04, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
If you go on any of the chans and the "traditional gaming" boards, then you'll find a lot of them implemented something like this to stop ten billion 40k threads from popping up.

Unless it's a Warhammer focused community, there's no point in allowing it.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #7782 on: January 04, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
Many of us came here actively seeking out non-GW communities and projects.  There are still a ton of cool GW product related project threads and game reports here, but no endless circlejerk discussions.  That's what this thread is for.  To say nothing of the dozens of GW-centered gaming sites.  ;)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7783 on: January 04, 2018, 11:02:29 PM »
There are still a ton of cool GW product related project threads and game reports here, but no endless circlejerk discussions.  

This and what YPU and the Captain have said. There have always been plenty of threads where people have offered up what they have painted and played as regards any GW game. But endless threads about GW releases and the wants and needs of its fan base shut out other systems. Add in the haters, moaners and whingers piping-up, and it became a problem; as mentioned above.

So people actually doing something with the stuff can open individual threads to their heart's content on the appropriate boards, while just talking 'GW', just like any other single topic, was confined to a single thread.

No anti-GW conspiracy or policy, just good forum sense.  :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:05:59 PM by Arlequín »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #7784 on: January 04, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »
Speaking of GW.....

they just launched the website for Malign portents. If you haven't watched the last 4 teaser videos I recommend you do so, they're lovely little cartoons that do a great job of building atmosphere.

For those who are down on AoS because of the realms or lack of concrete setting, check out the website, It has a cool video explaining the mortal realms, how they interact and where they are in relation to each other. There's some nice little stories on there and some fluff about the regular people living in the age of sigmar.

https://malignportents.com/

Also on the tomb king discussion, Skirmish and shadespire both focus on the Katophranes, a Egyptian style kingdom of sorcerers that defied Nagash by escaping death. He pounded them into another dimension when he found out, but there are some very tomb king style bits scattered throughout the various undead titbits of AoS.

(edit:there's also interactive maps with key locations and facts.)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:42:39 PM by nic-e »