Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:46:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694592
  • Total Topics: 118619
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734086 times)

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #7785 on: January 05, 2018, 01:54:17 AM »
I really do hope the core skellies get a redo. A combined kit on the infantry and new skellies horsemen would be awesome

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7786 on: January 05, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
Many of us came here actively seeking out non-GW communities and projects.
But endless threads about GW releases and the wants and needs of its fan base shut out other systems. Add in the haters, moaners and whingers piping-up, and it became a problem; as mentioned above.
So yeah, this sentiment is why I suspected (and, I think, can pretty solidly conclude) that discussing GW is, for all practical purposes discouraged, here on LAF. Which is fair enough, of course. There are other sites on the internet after all.

@nic-e: Good point RE: Shadespire - there's nothing explicitly TK-related but the look/feel of some of the art really does evoke the "spirit" of TK. Maybe TK will be somewhat rebranded away from the faux-Egyptian style to a more generic "lost empire" theme?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7787 on: January 05, 2018, 10:03:02 AM »
Hmm. I'm not sure discouraged so much, after all there are 542 pages of this stuff (the first 300 odd are all complaints though  lol ) But I guess it is more, let's not let GW take over the forum. I guess that could be seen as discouraged though.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7788 on: January 05, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »
So yeah, this sentiment is why I suspected (and, I think, can pretty solidly conclude) that discussing GW is, for all practical purposes discouraged, here on LAF. Which is fair enough, of course. There are other sites on the internet after all.

Erm no... Talk about anything is encouraged, but nobody or anything gets unequal treatment, favour, or implied priviledge. Beefcake is quite correct, talk about anything, but don't let one thing become what the forum is about.

There's no fear or favour, quite the opposite; a forum search for any broad GW game terms will almost certainly produce a high number of posts and of course, as already mentioned, 542 pages of 'GW talk' doesn't look like it's being suppressed in any way.

I understand that this is the opposite of a forum or two, past and present, where if you didn't play GW, you were made very unwelcome. Here everyone is welcome, but nothing gets special treatment, positive or negative.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7789 on: January 05, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
nothing gets special treatment, positive or negative.
Well, is discussion of any other company/group of product lines "ghettoized" (shut down, relegated to a single uselessly huge thread)? Seems like special treatment. Which makes sense, it's a special case. I mean, there's no need to get defensive about it. LAF has a policy of strictly restraining discussion of GW.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:27:13 AM by Manchu »

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7790 on: January 05, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
Not per say, but whenever other games systems start dominating specific boards they tend to get swept off into their own little sub-boards: Strange Aeons, Frostgrave, IHMN, etc. Sometimes the interest in these games dies down and then they get merged back in (Atomic Cafe is one example). Not much difference tbh.
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7791 on: January 05, 2018, 11:46:18 AM »
Well, is discussion of any other company/group of product lines "ghettoized" (shut down, relegated to a single uselessly huge thread)? Seems like special treatment. Which makes sense, it's a special case. I mean, there's no need to get defensive about it. LAF has a policy of strictly restraining discussion of GW.

We are only restricting discussion of general GW policies (e.g. product, release schedule, pricing, world domination etc.) to a single thread since those escalated with alarming regularity into repetitive mud-slinging and name-calling circlewhatevers.

One is free to have discussions on actual available products, specific hobby projects, miniature painting, the merits of their paint range. No problem with opening a thread on those. Keep it on topic and purposeful, and avoid bashfests, is what we request. One may just have to provide something of interest.

The focus of the LAF has always been on a wide variety of games and miniature lines, with no bias given officially towards or against any, but people being what they are (hell if you ask me but that is beside the point), there have been fads and favourites, and back then a very strong focus on BOB, Darkest Africa and other Adventure games since the discourse back then in Germany was overwhelmingly GW-centric, whereas there were few forums with a broader perspective.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7792 on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:15 PM »
I love LAF and have no problem with the way the forum is run. Having a "ghetto" thread for GW discussion is fine with me.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #7793 on: January 05, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
I mean, there's no need to get defensive about it.

I'm not, just calling it how I see it for the sake of discussion.  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7794 on: January 05, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »
I think LAF does GW right.  It really doesn't need to become the cesspool that Dakka Dakka is.  In fact I go to two forums: LAF...and Dakka Dakka (mainly when I want to just enjoy how good LAF is by comparison, kinda enjoy slingin' mud on occasion with the miscreants).

GW-aimed forums do tend to be the very worst forums I've been on, so keeping the GW influence to a moderate level on LAF is a smart move and keeps the forum more professional, polite, and seemingly mature.  If someone wants to talk GW there are dozens of forums and hundreds of facebook pages for every single army/desire.  LAF is the best collection of the "other" stuff on the web.  It's the only collective place I've found for all of the odd, bizarre and rare wargaming genres which struggle to maintain a large supportive online presence by themselves.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7795 on: January 05, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
Dakka Dakka isn't a cesspool. We run that forum the way we do to encourage (not merely tolerate) discussion and of course it has always been a GW-centric discussion. I value LAF because of the hobby-oriented content but the discussion here is pretty thin, with many "+1" style posts. And when a nice little convo about the possibility of TK making a comeback gets shuffled into this dustbin thread, you can see why. I love to browse LAF because the projects people post here are much more in line with my tastes in miniatures gaming than the more monolithic scene over on Dakka Dakka. Nothing wrong with different sites having different strengths, doesn't mean one is a cesspool.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:59:38 PM by Manchu »

Offline lord marcus

• Scientist
« Reply #7796 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
Getting back to my sub topic of tomb kings.....what other ways do you think they should come back?

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7797 on: January 05, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »
Maybe have a standard 'Necromancer' and 'Undead Minions' options, via which people could decide whether their Necromancer is an undying Tomb King, a Vampire Lord, a Wight Sorcerer, or whatever. The accompanying minions could be flavoured accordingly, but run along similar lines. Perhaps each faction could have certain bonuses or abilities, but still be assembled along similar lines.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7798 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »
I've just grabbed the old 2nd hand warhammer quest out of storage. Never played it before. Going to give it a go with my son today. Should be fun. Anyone know where to get pdfs of the additional warrior quest packs? I've picked up some of the minis over time but never the paper bits to go with it.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #7799 on: January 05, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »
Maybe have a standard 'Necromancer' and 'Undead Minions' options, via which people could decide whether their Necromancer is an undying Tomb King, a Vampire Lord, a Wight Sorcerer, or whatever. The accompanying minions could be flavoured accordingly, but run along similar lines. Perhaps each faction could have certain bonuses or abilities, but still be assembled along similar lines.

You can do that already basically if it's little more than an aesthetic choice. Abilities would help encourage people though and is something GW has been doing with other factions to lead the more needy competitive list type of gamers in the right direction.

As for how to reintroduce TK, I don't know anything about their lore so I'm not sure whether they fit into AoS from a fluff point of view. Unless they've been specifically killed off then I guess GW could resurrect the faction or at least the aesthetic. I suspect the latter would be more likely to occur but may might not be quite what TK fans would expect. GW have thrown a few curve balls recently when bringing things back from the past. I doubt they'd want to put another faction of slightly different looking skellies back into their catalogue but maybe something like mummified undead that would be a very distinct troop type/faction might work better. Shadespire warbands might be a good testing ground for new models but again I wouldn't expect skellies there when one already exists in the range. At this point I think TK are only one step closer than Bretonnians to being brought back, and Bretonnians have shit all chance of reappearing. Most undead players are desperate for a Battletome (beyond the ghouls) so I reckon that is more likely to appear sooner than a new range of undead.