Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1694359 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #900 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
Which tool? The GW Scraper? It was demoed to me in store years ago when it came out and Failcast was new. I wasn't impressed then, and GW have stated that this new one is the same thing with a new handle.

The blueshirt I talked to yesterday said the new one was made of stiffer or harder steel, because the old finecast cleaner blade was slightly flexible. I'll wait to see for myself whether that makes it actually useful though.

Ta for the chalking tip. :) I'll give that a try next time.

Wood elves: I glanced at the first pic and thought "oh, there's a 40K daemon prince on the cover, but what's that got to do with wood elves?"
Not sure if I like it or if it'll grow on me (I like me treemen a bit more... burarum than hissss), but good to see the welves haven't been cast by the wayside like so many mock-assyrian dwarfs and battle nuns.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #901 on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
The blueshirt I talked to yesterday said the new one was made of stiffer or harder steel, because the old finecast cleaner blade was slightly flexible. I'll wait to see for myself whether that makes it actually useful though.

Do also try the scissors trick. Pointy ones (preferably the old-fashioned sort with a screw that you can undo) are most useful as they can reach where you need them. I think you might be pleasantly surprised! ;)

good to see the welves haven't been cast by the wayside like so many mock-assyrian dwarfs and battle nuns.
I seem to have a knack for liking/collecting armies that consistently get marginalised or dumped... At least I never fell for Squats though (well... I did for Epic actually. Sigh.).  ::)

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #902 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »
I really like the wood elf glade guard. Would only pick them up second hand though.  Cannot justify paying GW prices?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #903 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »
I really like the wood elf glade guard. Would only pick them up second hand though.  Cannot justify paying GW prices?
Totally agree/understand.

That said, they are rumoured to be getting a re-release. If this is true, and like other plastics, that means that the price will be going up and the box contents will be going down.

Therefore if you *really* want some, past experience tells me now is the time to be looking before it's too late. For example, you can get them here for £17 (for 16 models) new. Not a terrible price really, and if you look around, I'll bet you can improve on that.

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #904 on: April 23, 2014, 12:48:05 PM »
I don't know why there was a question mark at the end of my post.

You make a compelling argument I like them but have no use for them ATM and any hobby money I do have will be spent on Samurai. I don't really want them but they would be nice to have, I will pick them up one day second hand, or if they are not available I won't.

Just over a pound a model isn't terrible. Though of course that's about the same price as metal perry Samurai.

Still thanks for the advice, for anyone who has been on the fence about picking them up it's probably a great idea to do it now you are right.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #905 on: April 23, 2014, 01:15:44 PM »
@ carlos13th:

...Sorry if that sounded like a sales pitch BTW, I was in fact just trying to be helpful! I'm sure you didn't read it that way, but still. :-X

I completely understand not getting side-tracked on other projects... And yeah, the Perry figures are very good value (their plastics for example  :-*).

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #906 on: April 23, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »
I didn't think it was at all. More of a public service announcement.

My progress is slow enough as it buying other ranges would be an expensive dust collector.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #907 on: April 23, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
Say, does anyone have a recommendation for a really high-quality needle file? I can't find anything in local hobby stores - even the "nice" files are made-in-china stuff. The better ones are adequate, but I'd like at least one or two of the real thing.

My ideal needle file, if I can only have/afford one is one that tapers to a point, and which is flat on one side, and a mild half-oval profile on the other (so a very flat letter 'D' in cross-section).

Check your hardware store. I picked up a set of small files quite some time ago and they have been a treasure

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #908 on: April 23, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
Have you used many scrapers on models? If so, what did you find was the best value/most useful?

Depends on what I am working on. The GW hard plastic cleans very nicely with their tool (you should also be able to find generic versions online) but whomever demoed it on Finecast was a twit. Its not good for that at all. Its a pretty limited tool in the it doesn't even work with the restic that folks like Mantic use. I gave up using a sharp blade on my hard plastic figs as soon as I got it. No worries about accidentally nicking the fig and the smooths the mould lines out well.

For restic I sadly use a sharp knife and prayer. I hate that stuff.

Everything else is a file and a knife.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #909 on: April 23, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
@ Vermis:

BTW the system here lets you multi-quote numerous people in the same topic. Under your reply form field is a list of all the previous posts and an "Insert Quote" link. So I can easily quote you and then quote Vermis

From the same reply form.

Its darned handy when you want to quote multiple people in the same reply.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #910 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
@ Pixelgeek:

I know all about multi-quote, but sometimes I don't want to bulk up a long post with quotes. Thanks either way though; seeing your triple-post despite the multi-quote feature made me chuckle too! ;)

Rumours abound that the Glade Guard, Glade Riders, and Dryads will all be getting "new releases". So... Smaller number in a box with a higher price I guess?  :?

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #911 on: April 23, 2014, 04:42:20 PM »
Do also try the scissors trick. Pointy ones (preferably the old-fashioned sort with a screw that you can undo) are most useful as they can reach where you need them. I think you might be pleasantly surprised! ;)

Just so happened I had a pair sitting beside me here, along with the plastic minis from the back-of-the-knife trial, and... yeah, that doesn't work too badly! It ain't unscrewing though, it's got something more like a rivet with a slot in one end.

After this I might give them a pass with my wee diamond blade sharpener, too. Hurrah for gadgets! :D

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #912 on: April 23, 2014, 05:27:35 PM »
Thanks either way though; seeing your triple-post despite the multi-quote feature made me chuckle too! ;)

I actually prefer to single quote but some people don't ;-)

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #913 on: April 26, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
just spotted this,new FW Kit  ::) i've seen better Scratchbuilts,not to mention the 68£ Price Tag  :o :o

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #914 on: April 26, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
 :o :o

Feck!

That IS hideous.
 :o