Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1683119 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #975 on: May 14, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »
"Cathrin Machin, project lead at Hammerfall Publishing, told Polygon that two of the defining principles of Warhammer 40K: Chess - Regicide are compelling and tactical gameplay mechanics combined with a strong emphasis on visual fidelity. Based on this, the game mixes in stunt choreographed and motion captured animation to create "merciless kill and death animations" using military trained fight and stunt choreographers."

I remember this game. It was called 'Battle Chess' back in the late 80's. Didn't feature power armour, though.  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #976 on: May 14, 2014, 07:26:11 AM »
Ah battle chess. First game I ever played when dad brought home the 286. Loved the rook eating things.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #977 on: May 14, 2014, 08:15:27 AM »
"Let the Wookie win."
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #978 on: May 14, 2014, 10:35:08 AM »
"Let the Wookie win."

Why? You don't need arms in the SW universe, they'll just replace them with bionics  lol

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #979 on: May 14, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »
Also what is up witg that double title? do they expect 40k chess to be a franchise that this needs the regicide title. Also it might be my being a non native speaker but it doesnt particularly roll off now does it?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #980 on: May 14, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »
Also what is up witg that double title? do they expect 40k chess to be a franchise that this needs the regicide title. Also it might be my being a non native speaker but it doesnt particularly roll off now does it?

I guess it's a 'pun' on the King being the one playing piece you need to 'kill' in order to win the game. My tongue doesn't like it, either  lol

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #981 on: May 14, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
For those not in the know, regicide is a game in the 40K background - I assume the 41st millenium permutation of chess. ;)

In other news, anyone notice that 40K 7th ed is due for release, just two years after 6th? From what little I've heard, it's to clear up the clutter from all the added Apocalypse, dataslate and detachment supplements, etc. Though there are a couple of other theories about it, particularly the one about a desperate increase in the rate of releases just before a crash.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #982 on: May 14, 2014, 03:57:07 PM »
For those not in the know, regicide is a game in the 40K background - I assume the 41st millenium permutation of chess. ;)

In other news, anyone notice that 40K 7th ed is due for release, just two years after 6th? From what little I've heard, it's to clear up the clutter from all the added Apocalypse, dataslate and detachment supplements, etc. Though there are a couple of other theories about it, particularly the one about a desperate increase in the rate of releases just before a crash.

From what i can see it's basically a return to third edition with all  the added guff included in the rulebook as ..well, added guff really.
rulebook will be 3 separate books, rules, hobby and fluff.
2 types of army list , unbound (anything you have, throw it down.) or battle worn (new FoC, less freedom as unbound but with added bonuses.)
looks to have alot in common with fantasy in terms of distinct psychic/magic stage ect.

I think the reason is that the designers realized they were building on top of 3rd/4th edition 40k, but hadn't fleshed out these foundations in years and now the game had become a monstrous cludge of special rules and expansions and the whole think was in danger of collapsing.

other unconfirmed rumors talk about mechanics similar to dust and warmahordes (not that i'd recognize them :p) so who knows, we might be seeing a slimmed down core game with extra stuff already in the rules.

Also, no codex rewrites for anything published since 6th, so perhaps the newer codexes that have had people confused (militarium tempestus) will make sense if the new 40k turns out the be scaled down and simpler.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #983 on: May 14, 2014, 04:18:09 PM »
and now the game had become a monstrous cludge of special rules and expansions and the whole think was in danger of collapsing.

Isn't that just what happened to each and every edition after RT?

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #984 on: May 15, 2014, 06:40:30 AM »
Isn't that just what happened to each and every edition after RT?

Pretty much, but what makes this edition so unique is that they manged to turn it into an unmanageable steaming pile in only two years... It usually took them twice as long, it seems they're getting more efficient at it. o_o

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #985 on: May 15, 2014, 07:26:22 AM »
So this new edition is an enema then?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #986 on: May 15, 2014, 07:36:19 AM »
I just want them to bring back genestealer cults  lol I'd probably buy some GW stuff then.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #987 on: May 15, 2014, 07:37:49 AM »
You mean put some imagination back into the fluff rather than constantly write new adventures about different coloured Space Marines?  :o

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #988 on: May 15, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
Pretty much, but what makes this edition so unique is that they manged to turn it into an unmanageable steaming pile in only two years... It usually took them twice as long, it seems they're getting more efficient at it. o_o

Haha, very true. Lets see if they can ruin this edition in one year  lol

I just want them to bring back genestealer cults  lol I'd probably buy some GW stuff then.

Im 'too young to remember these' but of what I have read and seen they were very fluff heavy. Which is great in my opinion.  :)
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #989 on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:22 PM »
So this new edition is an enema then?

More precisely the leftovers after one...   ::)

Im 'too young to remember these' but of what I have read and seen they were very fluff heavy. Which is great in my opinion.  :)

Genestealers were my first experience with the 40K universe, Space Hulk being the first 28mm GW boxed game (with minis) I bought.