Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1682764 times)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1095 on: July 08, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
And I saw this going for less...

@Pijlie: Nice read! I started with the same games (found Epic and Necromunda more interesting than 40K or WHFB) and I was blown away when I saw that there was MUCH MORE other stuff in the "hobby" than just GW. Then quickly I became fed up with all the people who were trying to tell me that I can ONLY use THIS edition rules and only THAT figures because they are the only right ones and everything else is wrong. I still hate this so much. Especially in fantasy and sci-fi this makes no sense at all.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1096 on: July 08, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
Hmm. Dunno what to make of the assertion that the LotR game was a reskinned Warhammer. From what I've seen it was more different to that, than Necromunda was to 40K.

Otherwise, yeah. For me Epic: Armageddon was an (the) eye-opener to what a real wargame was like.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1097 on: July 08, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »
Just because something is old or rare does not give it automatic value.

I would suggest that you probably don't understand the relative rarity of the object in question or its original asking price. Or understand what the word 'rare' means.

That said, the reason for my observation is simple, if I sell you a toothpick for 5,000,000 and then ask you to pay the shipping, I'm a Butt Head. :D

I think you're just not really making any sense at all.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1098 on: July 08, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
I would suggest that you probably don't understand the relative rarity of the object in question or its original asking price. Or understand what the word 'rare' means.

I think you're just not really making any sense at all.

That's the Market mate.  If you think it's a deal, have at it!  If I think it's a rip, I save my 3k! win win! :D
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1099 on: July 09, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
That's the Market mate.  If you think it's a deal, have at it!  If I think it's a rip, I save my 3k! win win! :D

I think you've got it right TBC. I wouldn't pay 3k for a Thunderbird either! Crazy. There used to be a thread on Hateseer about crazy ebay prices.

A sucker every minute...
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1100 on: July 09, 2014, 02:26:25 PM »
A sucker every minute...

I understand that some people don't think the price is appropriate (that is an entirely different discussion) but I really fail to see how the pejoratives are necessary in this case.

Its easy to look down your nose when its something that doesn't interest you or that you don't value but I suspect there are many people in the world who'd think that, for instance, someone was "crazy" for getting custom made decals for a vehicle from a badly written, kid's animated TV show  ;)

My kids are totally jealous BTW  :)

I know that this is the GW bashing thread but the guy that is selling that is a hobbyist and I suspect that if he sells it, that it will be to another hobbyist, so you're both really just casting dispersions at people who are probably pretty much the same as you both.

Maybe just with more money  ;) Although if Grant manages to sell off his insane collection of Wings of War miniatures and expansions that might not be the case. What did you value that collection at again Grant?  ;)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1101 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »
@ TBC:

Collectables, especially miniatures, are funny things and don't always scale in value as you might expect.

In the case of the metal Thunderhawk, is it better to have it assembled or not? For some, the "pristine" condition is collectable and rare in its own right. For others, the value is similar, because they want to be the first to make that model. For still others, it's a nightmare to assemble, and buying one assembled well is worth a premium.

Adjusted for inflation, the original 1996 asking price of £400.00 would be about £660.00 in today's money.

So, for something which was only cast as 500 sets worldwide, and which has been totally out of production for nearly twenty years, what would that add in value as an iconic collectable model?

The seller you've highlighted is asking for £1,900.00 plus shipping.

There's a chap here selling one for about £1,200.00. Looks to be pretty much mint.

Another here wants £1,000.00 for his, but it's been assembled, and all the other "incidentals" are missing or damaged. Also, I'd be wary of this being a fake (legit box with everything else missing, pre-assembled and primed black... could easily be fake).

Thing is that over the years, I've seen these in various conditions go for a lot less, and also for a lot more.

At 10kg, and being a fairly rare and collectible expensive model (even at the original price of £400!), why should the seller take on the cost of insured signed-for shipping anywhere in the world? What's wrong with just quoting each country? Because he's asking for a high price, he should somehow be "morally obliged" to ship it anywhere in the world for free according to you? Pfft.  ::)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1102 on: July 09, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
Not valued - sold! $1400 is what I got for my Wings of War. Solid! Also, halfway to a Thundehawk!

Now come on pg, get with the spirit and get a bash in. Chicks dig it!

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1103 on: July 09, 2014, 03:19:17 PM »
Now come on pg, get with the spirit and get a bash in. Chicks dig it!

I'd try but GW has got to the point of self-parody now.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1104 on: July 09, 2014, 04:07:48 PM »
I'd try but GW has got to the point of self-parody now.

So true, isn't it?

A bit sad. :(

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1105 on: July 09, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »
A bit sad. :(

On a Beasts of War post on Facebook some fellow mentioned that he had recently spent £140 on 40K rules and codexes recently.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1106 on: July 09, 2014, 05:14:57 PM »
On a Beasts of War post on Facebook some fellow mentioned that he had recently spent £140 on 40K rules and codexes recently.

Im still playing 3 editions back, on the VERY RARE occasion I actually game, although if they are 'hard core fanatic's' I suppose paying that on a hobby is normal.
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1107 on: July 09, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »
@ TBC:

Collectables, especially miniatures, are funny things and don't always scale in value as you might expect.

In the case of the metal Thunderhawk, is it better to have it assembled or not? For some, the "pristine" condition is collectable and rare in its own right. For others, the value is similar, because they want to be the first to make that model. For still others, it's a nightmare to assemble, and buying one assembled well is worth a premium.

Adjusted for inflation, the original 1996 asking price of £400.00 would be about £660.00 in today's money.

So, for something which was only cast as 500 sets worldwide, and which has been totally out of production for nearly twenty years, what would that add in value as an iconic collectable model?

The seller you've highlighted is asking for £1,900.00 plus shipping.

There's a chap here selling one for about £1,200.00. Looks to be pretty much mint.

Another here wants £1,000.00 for his, but it's been assembled, and all the other "incidentals" are missing or damaged. Also, I'd be wary of this being a fake (legit box with everything else missing, pre-assembled and primed black... could easily be fake).

Thing is that over the years, I've seen these in various conditions go for a lot less, and also for a lot more.

At 10kg, and being a fairly rare and collectible expensive model (even at the original price of £400!), why should the seller take on the cost of insured signed-for shipping anywhere in the world? What's wrong with just quoting each country? Because he's asking for a high price, he should somehow be "morally obliged" to ship it anywhere in the world for free according to you? Pfft.  ::)

My 'point' was more a joke that anyone asking 3k for a model could more than afford to kick in the shipping, that's all.  Someone just took it all too seriously. :D

All that said, whatever you personally are willing to shell out for something that you find value for, is 100% your business.   I have zero desire to try and convince you otherwise.  If you think a cardboard table is worth $100.00, have at it.  Same here.  If you see it all as a 'deal' for all the reasons you offered, what do I care?  And again, why would you care that I dont?  Sort of doesnt make sense to me to even discuss.  That's the other reason I cut the conversation short, these are just toys...

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:30:59 PM by Too Bo Coo »

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1108 on: July 09, 2014, 06:16:24 PM »
Im still playing 3 editions back, on the VERY RARE occasion I actually game, although if they are 'hard core fanatic's' I suppose paying that on a hobby is normal.

If you play in a group that keeps current or you play tournament games then you need the most recent books. I suspect that those players would probably not want to spend that sort of cash in any case  :)

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1109 on: July 09, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
Always wanted to go back to 2nd edition 40k. Best edition of the game - just pure fun.