Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:18:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734137 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 21, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
You have to use the power of greyskull! Oh wait, wrong fantasy realm!

so we aren't fighting skeletor ? who are we fighting, the red skull?
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1201 on: July 21, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure skeletor was the bad guy in heroquest so... Maybe?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:47:40 AM by beefcake »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1202 on: July 21, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure skeleton was the bad guy in heroquest so... Maybe?

He was indeed, the main bad guy miniature (which isn't zargon the wizard oddly enough) is skeletor.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1203 on: July 21, 2014, 02:09:51 PM »
I've done Star Wars and TMNT; don't get me started on my He-Man/40K analogy.  lol

For me, whilst I was never a huge fan of the old CRoBB, I was expecting some extra tiles (albeit at additional cost) in this new board so that if you had 8 tiles for a 6'x4' board you could have some genuine (modular) variety at last. Instead, they seem to have gone backwards... And made the whole board flat for some reason. :?

Part of the constant cost-cutting going on these days, I'd guess. Plus the general attitude GW is supposed to have about it's customers...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1204 on: July 21, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
I've done Star Wars and TMNT; don't get me started on my He-Man/40K analogy.  lol

Part of the constant cost-cutting going on these days, I'd guess. Plus the general attitude GW is supposed to have about it's customers...

I'd love a he-man skirmish game, just saying..

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1205 on: July 21, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
Instead, they seem to have gone backwards... And made the whole board flat for some reason. :?

I suspect that you can't do city terrain with streets and have multiple heights. Its also for city battles and with the size of some of GW's terrain it would be a nightmare trying to make it fit into a board that wasn't flat.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1206 on: July 21, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »
I suspect that you can't do city terrain with streets and have multiple heights. Its also for city battles and with the size of some of GW's terrain it would be a nightmare trying to make it fit into a board that wasn't flat.

Well, the old board had hills moulded on it, and people managed to place buildings all over just fine.

Also, isn't the whole point of a modular board that its... modular? So you can just turn the tiles or place them to one end in order to fit in the big buildings?

Besides which, it doesn't look like you could get big buildings with flat bases onto the current board without gaps underneath anyway.

Dunno, I would have expected to see to some product improvement over the previous board, regardless of the ridiculous price charged. That doesn't seem to have happened, which I find a little disappointing if nothing else.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1207 on: July 21, 2014, 09:37:42 PM »
Honestly, instead of a cardboard gaming table, I wish some 3rd party would make a similar, better and cheaper product....
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1208 on: July 21, 2014, 09:57:25 PM »
Honestly, instead of a cardboard gaming table, I wish some 3rd party would make a similar, better and cheaper product....

secret weapon.
I remember a few years ago i bought a single 2x2 vac formed panel from a shop in wales.the shop is closed now and i dont remember the  company that made the panel, but it cost be £8 and had a big corner hill, it was raised a bit and could be fit with other tiles by a series of small plastic screws.why there isnt a company making cheap vac formed modular tables any more is beyond me, since the tech is cheap and easy.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1209 on: July 22, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »
I've seen some vacuum made scenery, really cheap too (only postage over this way would be a killer)

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1210 on: July 22, 2014, 03:55:35 AM »
Well, the old board had hills moulded on it, and people managed to place buildings all over just fine.

Fantasy terrain is smaller than some of the 40K stuff. WFB also has (had?) rules for things like hills where 40K doesn't.

Also, isn't the whole point of a modular board that its... modular? So you can just turn the tiles or place them to one end in order to fit in the big buildings?

Those two issues aren't the same. This board is clearly modular. Its just not three dimensional.

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1211 on: July 24, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
I also wonder if you outgrow 40k etc because there is so much better stuff out there to play now.
Just like the stop motion animation in older movies seems so outdated compared to CGI so too does Warhammer rules compared to more modern rule types.

Bad comparison!
I still prefer Shaun the sheep, Postman Pat or a modern stop motion film like Coraline over CGI any time!
GW today seems more like a lifeless CGI remake (of a remake, of a remake) of a once loved classic.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #1212 on: July 24, 2014, 02:10:34 PM »
Bad comparison!
I still prefer Shaun the sheep, Postman Pat or a modern stop motion film like Coraline over CGI any time!
GW today seems more like a lifeless CGI remake (of a remake, of a remake) of a once loved classic.

Spot on.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1213 on: July 24, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »

Aye, that. :) It's not so much that Warhammer's core mechanics are bad, or were always bad; it's that they're not suited to the job of what FB and 40K became. Too many special rules and exceptions, and too many minis and gigantic models on the tabletop. All designed to make the games seem flash and spectacular and kewl, like too much CGI!

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #1214 on: July 24, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »
-- what FB and 40K became. Too many special rules and exceptions, and too many minis and gigantic models on the tabletop.

Unlike in the days of Titan Legions, chicken dragons and chaos books with D1000 tables? Wasn't the rant last week that the games have been simplified and dumbed down too much? ;)