Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 02:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696473
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1741758 times)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1260 on: August 01, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »
I have to say, although I grossly overpaid for it, the new plastic scraper is pretty brilliant...
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1261 on: August 01, 2014, 02:46:04 PM »
Lol! My sentiments precisely.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #1262 on: August 01, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »
I have to say, although I grossly overpaid for it, the new plastic scraper is pretty brilliant...

While we may disagree with the aesthetic at times (OK, often), no-one is denying that they make good stuff.  I love their new paint range.

But the prices are at the heart of the problem...

Consider how much new stuff they've produced in the last 18 months, all the new rules and datasheets, and they way they've monetised everything from stats to painting guides (you know - what used to be in White Dwarf) just to stand still in sales terms.

The new website... keeps showing me different sections in different languages.  Right now it's showing me that I'm in the UK for delivery, costs are in pounds, and the White Dwarf section is in English.  All the Space-Wolfy bits are in Spanish...

The company I work for puts IT systems into hospitals to manage patient data and activity, and integrates them with clinical results systems and business-intelligence reporting/billing data warehouses.  While I can't divulge prices, £4 million would get you an awful lot more than what GW appears to have been delivered.  And we'd have migrated the old database too...

Offline Col. Aubrey Bagshot

• Mad Scientist
  • Remember... something
« Reply #1263 on: August 01, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
£4M for  a massive internet and intranet project including hardware, with storefront with full control over front and back end isnt that bad...
And there would be a lot of internal cost in that as well, salaries etc etc....

If you want to look at wasted money of huge IT projects ask someone in the NHS... lol
It would make GW's expediture look like pocket change....
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
Spike Milligan

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #1264 on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
If you want to look at wasted money of huge IT projects ask someone in the NHS... lol
It would make GW's expediture look like pocket change....

Oh the stories I could tell you if I wasn't under NDA...  ;D

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1265 on: August 01, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
That's crazy talk man, didn't you read that their customer base is wealthy middle-aged men? They know this through the ouija board.

I really still can't get my head around the idea that they don't do any data gathering on their audience. Its so bizarre a concept that I have to assume that he is talking out of his *ss.

There are even gaming websites that do occasional market surveys.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1266 on: August 01, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »
I really still can't get my head around the idea that they don't do any data gathering on their audience. Its so bizarre a concept that I have to assume that he is talking out of his *ss.

There are even gaming websites that do occasional market surveys.
Without customer data, he is talking straight out of his ass!

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1267 on: August 01, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
But, but, but, they're little jewels that everybody knows and loves, each one crafted from the frozen tears of angels and then cast in a really shit resin/plastic mix  ::) lol

How long till they finally fold then? Three years, four?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1268 on: August 01, 2014, 09:25:38 PM »
While we may disagree with the aesthetic at times (OK, often), no-one is denying that they make good stuff.  I love their new paint range.

But the prices are at the heart of the problem...

Uh-huh!

Consider how much new stuff they've produced in the last 18 months, all the new rules and datasheets, and they way they've monetised everything from stats to painting guides (you know - what used to be in White Dwarf) just to stand still in sales terms.

To be fair you had to pay for White Dwarf too. :D But I hear ya. Crappy Tyranid and Ork codexes...es, with good downloadable 'dataslate' units released on the very same days, costing almost as much as the main £30 codex... that pissed off a lot of GW fanboys in itself. (now ex-GW fanboys)
A lot of people thought that sales from a new edition of 40K, new Space Marine codex, and imperial knights would turn around GW's numbers in this half-year report and shut the doomsayers up. They didn't. They shot their biggest guns to no great effect, and now they've just got pea-shooters and slingshots left. To state the obvious, it don't look good.

How long till they finally fold then? Three years, four?

Two or less, according to Wayshuba on Warseer and Dakkadakka. I forget exactly what his job is, but it involves monitoring the behaviour and health of businesses. He's been talking for a month or two about how he's seen all the classic warning signs of a death spiral before (drastic cost-cutting, desperately increasing rate of releases, etc.), that GW is showing them, that it'll take exceptional measures to pull them out of it now (not with Kirby and yes-men still pulling the strings) and that it won't be a slow dwindle to a 'more manageable' size of a business. It'll be quick, like TSR. Not with a whimper but a bang.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1269 on: August 01, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »
It'll be interesting to see

I would assume that rights would be sold off? How about the moulds etc?

cheers

James

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1270 on: August 01, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »
There used to be a lot of free painting guides on their website a few years ago too- stuff useful for general painting and modelling, not just for GW stuff. They also used to have things like the space Marine chapter gallery- which I imagine inspired people to buy MORE stuff...

I don't want to see GW fold in all honesty, I would like it to 'get better'!

They have lots of great things going for them, they just need to realise what they are!! They really should set up an offshoot were you can get their old stuff- They could sell the new Skullz/Grimdark to the kids, and their 'vintage stuff' to us more ahem mature customers. Warhammer Vintage- they can have that for free!! :D

Oh and stop producing massive expensive shit too...

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #1271 on: August 01, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
It'll be interesting to see

Definitely interesting times. :)

I would assume that rights would be sold off? How about the moulds etc?

I don't have a baldy notion, and again I'd just be parroting what I've heard elsewhere. :) But I've heard some people hope that Hasbro rides in to save the day and jam Warhammer/40K under the WoTC label. Others aren't so sure since their RPG and CCG efforts have been more successful than their mini games. A couple wonder if Warlord or Mantic will try something, which doesn't seem altogether likely. A lot think that a buyer will just gut the IP for making video games, or think it'll just die off altogether.

There used to be a lot of free painting guides on their website a few years ago too- stuff useful for general painting and modelling, not just for GW stuff. They also used to have things like the space Marine chapter gallery- which I imagine inspired people to buy MORE stuff...

I don't want to see GW fold in all honesty, I would like it to 'get better'!

Me too, TBH. I wouldn't mind them being the big fish in the wargaming pond if their games, prices, practises, website changes etc. still 'deserved' it.

These days their problems with all that can be almost completely explained in four quotes from the top:

They never do any marketing or market research. They don't need to.

Their customers are sheep.

Their customers will buy anything they release.

The GW hobby is buying GW products.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:03:12 PM by Vermis »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1272 on: August 01, 2014, 10:47:16 PM »
Hasbro would certainly seem to me to make it more mainstream and could possibly be a fresh influx of new gamers to the 'normal' hobby of wargaming (the GW Hobby... Which tool came up with that idea  ::) ).

None of the other companies would have enough to buy, surely?

cheers

James

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #1273 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
Maybe we can buy it and turn it into a co-op!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1274 on: August 01, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »
apparently the telegraph ran an article on games workshop financial reports and the attitude problem of the hgher ups apparent in the writing.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/