Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:51:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734093 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1530 on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:20 PM »
Apparently because nothing says "Omnicidal Maniac" like a giant purple hat with antlers?  ;D

At least now we know Galactus and Nagash have the same milliner.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #1531 on: August 19, 2014, 05:09:46 PM »
That thing looks FRAGILE. There are going to be a lot of gamers who'll wind up with the "kid who just dropped their ice cream cone on the ground" face after their mate knocks their Nagash over, shattering it into a thousand pieces.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1532 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:38 PM »
That thing looks FRAGILE. There are going to be a lot of gamers who'll wind up with the "kid who just dropped their ice cream cone on the ground" face after their mate knocks their Nagash over, shattering it into a thousand pieces.

And then make the "kid choking their friend to death with a roll of 28mm scale barbed wire whilst shouting profanities that would make Frankie Boyle faint" face.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1533 on: August 19, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
Don't worry about shattering, it's made from plastic. It will just deform and tear...  ;)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1534 on: August 19, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
So some details.
The new book contains a new way of playing warhammer but ISN'T a new edition.it's a book designed to accommodate the setting with nagash at large.

The von carstein family has been resurrected by nagash and have new kits coming out. He is basically uniting ALL evil.

Stolen from BoLS;

What the background in the WD tell us:
- I hope you didn't like Kislev, because there is no longer a Kislev.
- Archaon advance have been stalled by Vlad under the order of Nagash (the Empire was in major trouble).
- Nagash goes fighting to unite the Tomb Kings and VC (one of the scenario pictured in WD translate into "the Fall of Settra").

Regarding miniatures/rules:
- Nagash is magnificent, and very very tall thanks to his flying posture (he is supported by a bunch of souls).
- But he's not that massive overall, I have no idea how he managed to reach the 85€ pricetag.
- Not a dual kit.
- No other models that week, but the ones serving under him are hinted at the end of WD for the week after (so I suppose Vlad and that Arkhan dude, note that I know the WFB lore very poorly).
- As people expected, the new magic lore appear to work like Demonology for 40k (except with undead).
- Rules are changing with that extension, 50% lords for example.

So those of you who wondered why fantasy wasn't getting any love lately can see now that GW were planning something big for it. this looks to be the bulk of 3 weeks worth of releases, but no doubt there will be more for other factions.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #1535 on: August 19, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
 :o :o :o

I think that these new releases are some of the most hideous things I have seen in some time.
I should point out that when I say 'hideous', I do not mean that as a good thing.
That is a terrible new look they are going for, in my opinion.

:o :o

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1536 on: August 19, 2014, 06:04:12 PM »
:o :o :o

I think that these new releases are some of the most hideous things I have seen in some time.
I should point out that when I say 'hideous', I do not mean that as a good thing.
That is a terrible new look they are going for, in my opinion.

:o :o

You're not wrong.

I quite like the spirit host, but that's about it.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1537 on: August 19, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
They left me cold with their new aesthetic years ago but this is fucking terrible! They have taken the Old World and turned it into Azeroth from World of Warcraft. Cartoony junk year after year.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1538 on: August 19, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
They left me cold with their new aesthetic years ago but this is fucking terrible! They have taken the Old World and turned it into Azeroth from World of Warcraft. Cartoony junk year after year.

Remind me of the different between mega blocks and lego.with lego you get a kit that you can play around with and make your own, with mega blocks you get set parts to make 1 thing that can't really be changed.
GW used to be the lego of wargaming, stylized but versatile. now they're the mega blocks.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1539 on: August 19, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »
What a load of shit  :-X :-X :-X

And the fact there is no longer any Kislev is bollocks...

Back to 3rd ed then  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1540 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »
What a load of shit  :-X :-X :-X

And the fact there is no longer any Kislev is bollocks...

Back to 3rd ed then  :D

cheers

James

Kislev is gone just for this setting i think. I'm thinking of this as a sort of multiverse idea, where the normal warhammer world stays as it has done for years, then people who want to explore the end of the world can play with this setting.

Then again, maybe gw just wants Kislev gone so they don't have to try and make an army of bear riding humans with black powder rifles, then fuck it up and get flakk for it.
(god dammit Kislev is badass.)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #1541 on: August 19, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
Kislev is gone just for this setting i think. I'm thinking of this as a sort of multiverse idea, where the normal warhammer world stays as it has done for years, then people who want to explore the end of the world can play with this setting.

Which is even more shit  :-[

They really do think they own the 'hobby' don't they. I bet they think they thought of the idea of not sticking to canon first...  ::)

cheers

James

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1542 on: August 19, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »
You're not wrong.

I quite like the spirit host, but that's about it.

I was just going to remark that I like the various ghosts/spirits, but the rest looks rather... weird..?

€85 for ONE character model??!! I wonder what it'll cost to field a playable army if starting from scratch...

I am just now planning to make a full Lords of Undeath army for God of Battles out of old GW plastic skeletons, GW Ethereals, GW Mummies, the odd GW wight, a necromancer or liche (or maybe even the old dodgey Nagash, which I have had sitting in a drawer for 15 odd years - part of a second hand buy) and some Mantic zombies. I have just about everything I need for a full 60 pts. army (largest recommended size), just need to get a few bits and bobs for enhancement markers and such.

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #1543 on: August 19, 2014, 06:46:32 PM »

Warcraft really bled into and fucked up the aesthetic of a lot of games, D&D and Pathfinder being very notable. I actually liked Warcraft quite a bit, but I certainly didn't need to see that video game reverse influence tabletop games. To make matters worse WotC and Blizzard seem bent on homogenizing the look of fantasy. Looking through Spectrum books, I can't tell the new artists apart from each other, and at GenCon the only thing that might distinguish one fantasy advert banner from another was the company logo.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #1544 on: August 19, 2014, 08:29:41 PM »

Prices are extortionate!

I really hate the warcraft style, so i'm very sad that it crops up in so many things.still,it's better than everything turning anime.....