Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:05:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734004 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #1980 on: September 20, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »
What, a jokey pic?

I'll explain more, then. Like I say, I'm not so convinced by the old arguments I made, and I don't think I was as absolutist as all that anyway; but I still think that some of the points and reasons you brought up in your previous post explain a lot of the 40K/WHFB appeal to kids and why some older gamers go off them. (time, if nothing else) So I raised an eyebrow that after all that reiteration, and given your wording, you think my old argument is not just wrong, but perhaps even offensive.
I didn't want to drag the whole thing up again (like what I'm doing right now) so I stuck up a pic ref that I thought was a bit of mild ribbing. Looks like that didn't go over well. I'm sorry about that but, to be honest, only a little. (I didn't think Vic 'n' Bob were that inflammatory?)

In the meantime, I'm still confused by the point that all the appearances of control, powerful rules and buckets o' dice are neither here nor there to GW's target market. Genuinely. I'm not being confrontational there, just unconvinced.

See if you'd said that...

I might have had a bit of a sense of humour failure there too  lol  Certainly didn't take offence at your argument at all.

As for my 'younger gamers" argument, there was no offence intended there either, and I didn't mean to imply that it was a "kiddy" approach.  So apologies if that's the way I came across.

I ran  a school club when I was doing my teacher training at the height of the LotR craze, and I no longer have the faintest idea who GW think they're appealing to.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1981 on: September 20, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »
I reckon more will come out soon.

They already have three digital books available with rules for Ultramarines, Dark Angels and Space Wolfs. Something like $16 a pop IIRC

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1982 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »
Yup, but those three are iBooks only... I emailed about that, as I could actually be interested in these, but got some vague excuse about their digital team being only very small and they don't have plans to release these in another format, but it is however their ideal to release as much of their product as standard ebooks when schedule allows.

Which, to my eyes, is a roundabout way of saying "no" as in a few months there is no use converting these files over, as their self-created limited window of sales will have passed...  :?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #1983 on: September 20, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
I want more scrawny jaw-jut orcs with no shoes and tatty tunics.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #1984 on: September 20, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
I like orcs that wear looted armour bits n pieces, not spiky 'ork' armour

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1985 on: September 21, 2014, 12:32:51 AM »
but got some vague excuse about their digital team being only very small and they don't have plans to release these in another format...

I doubt that they will be available in standard ePub format due to piracy issues or for Android unless Google or some other third party comes out with a tool like Apple's eBook Author program.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1986 on: September 21, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
I would find that odd, seeing how much they do release in standard epub and mobi formats, essentially all of Black Library's digital offerings.
(Nevermind, I just noticed: In the typical style of GW "sanity", all game-related digital books are iBook only... Apparently, if you can't or won't afford an iDevice, you're not worthy enough to own their rules.  o_o )

Offline driller

• Scientist
« Reply #1987 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
They've released the recent painting guide COMPANIES OF FENRIS iBook-only as well. Since I'm a collector of every possible kind of painting guides, I bought the 160-pages thick paperback version, and I have to say, it was a good purchase, I'm quite satisfied with it. The week after next another such painting guide will follow for Dark Eldar, I'll buy that one as well, even tho I don't play or collect DA. Just because its a painting guide... :)

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #1988 on: September 21, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
(Nevermind, I just noticed: In the typical style of GW "sanity", all game-related digital books are iBook only... Apparently, if you can't or won't afford an iDevice, you're not worthy enough to own their rules.  o_o )
More like, "if you can't afford an iThing, you can't afford a GW game".

Also, some of the new dark eldars I've seen are a little bit inspired by Warmahordes' Cryx, aren't they?

Releasing a "limited" boardgame to make a quick buck, copying the style of their competitors... GW ain't what it used to be (like Apple, come to think of it... a match made in heaven!).
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #1989 on: September 21, 2014, 07:09:33 PM »
Also, some of the new dark eldars I've seen are a little bit inspired by Warmahordes' Cryx, aren't they?

I've seen some great conversions of WarmaHordes figures in to Dark Eldar troops, and I have to say that I preferred them to the original models.

I think that the new DE stuff reminds me of the Cephalyx faction stuff from Privateer Press.

Releasing a "limited" boardgame to make a quick buck, copying the style of their competitors... GW ain't what it used to be (like Apple, come to think of it... a match made in heaven!).

Yeah, I've made that comparison too!  ;)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #1990 on: September 24, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
Job advert for new CEO available here

Ought to be entertaining, although ultimately I don't expect anything will change.

Keep our owners appropriately informed

Not sure of that terminology. Shareholders, yup, but "owners" ???

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1991 on: September 24, 2014, 02:21:45 PM »
I have seen more proffesional job adverts for intern positions.

How can a company as large as GW have this as the CEO job advert!?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #1992 on: September 24, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
Assimilate or get annihilated!  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #1993 on: September 24, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
Oh dear, seen that kind of nonsense before.

You are in charge of what we tell you, you will make all the decisions we tell you to make, and say what ever you wish as long as it is what we told you to say.

Thats an advert for a secretary.

A secretary for the former CEO.

The former CEO and the board being specifically 'The Owners'. Who's choices and decisions you would be required to obey and apply accordingly.

Whilst taking the blame for the failures and disappointments to come, facing the wrath of the shareholders, enabling 'The owners" to remain blameless for the failures brought about by their past and future decisions because you the new CEO are responsible for all of them.

I think the correct title is actually 'Blame Monkey'.

Might be a couple blokes from Tesco applying?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #1994 on: September 24, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »
I wonder what the salary will be?  ;)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres