Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:30:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734058 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2145 on: November 10, 2014, 06:45:47 PM »
Especially if it avoids situations of questionable games rulings, e.g. "You boy - put those proxies back in your pants and use GW branded official danglies for your dropped pods."

I have to say I agree with GW on this one though

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2146 on: November 10, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
Me to. fully agree with you and myself...

especially if they enforce the other rule about the armies having to be fully painted.

Them fully painted proxies most definitely need to be kept undercover  lol.

Still, got me wondering whats next on the release list. Can it actually be worse?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2147 on: November 11, 2014, 05:01:53 AM »
Me to. fully agree with you and myself...

especially if they enforce the other rule about the armies having to be fully painted.

Them fully painted proxies most definitely need to be kept undercover  lol.

Still, got me wondering whats next on the release list. Can it actually be worse?
Next they will have an option to replace the 5 venom cannons with 1 giant gun mounted on top, probably an area effect flames template type gun that sprays a viscous liquid all over the enemy.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #2148 on: November 11, 2014, 06:52:05 AM »
Next they will have an option to replace the 5 venom cannons with 1 giant gun mounted on top, probably an area effect flames template type gun that sprays a viscous liquid all over the enemy.

But you need 2 drop pods to field it right?... ;)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2149 on: November 11, 2014, 07:33:46 AM »
It's been few years since I last time visited the Forgeworld homepage.  o_o

They seem to have the same "buy big bundles" theme going on, oh how low the mighty have fallen...

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2150 on: November 11, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »

They seem to have the same "buy big bundles" theme going on, oh how low the mighty have fallen...

GW by proxy...

But you need 2 drop pods to field it right?... ;)

Directly appealing to the needs and desires of their target market then, great, that means all of them will want tyranid armies, all the other stuff goes on ebay..

All the  boys will be playing with their tyranid dog-dangler cannons, all day and all night long....

Tournament play might need more tissues and templates than anything else until they drop.... from the army lists   ::)

That aside apart from the prices, on both foundry and GW being so insane, they do have some things that are quite nice (yes I am trying to change the subject a bit - there's probably a limit to how much this particular model release can be milked).

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2151 on: November 11, 2014, 03:03:36 PM »

FW have been doing bundles (you know, the sort with financial discounts instead of GW's "here, we've saved you the bother of three mouse clicks" deals) for a while now. I suspect that the prospect of buying FW marines five at a time for a whole army's worth is too much for a lot of people otherwise.

@ Tactalvanic:

I think that either the Skull Cannon of Khorne, The Tyranid Pyrovore, or the Tyranid Exocrine would combine well with the new Tyranid Ball Sack drop pod release. What monster could one build if you combine them together I wonder....? Kingdom Death may have met their match here! ::)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:06:59 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2152 on: November 11, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
I think that either the Skull Cannon of Khorne, The Tyranid Pyrovore, or the Tyranid Exocrine would combine well with the new Tyranid Ball Sack drop pod release. What monster could one build if you combine them together I wonder....? Kingdom Death may have met their match here! ::)

Blimey!
It shows you how long since I trawled around the GW site.....all three of those are hideous!
 :o :o

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2153 on: November 11, 2014, 04:33:11 PM »

:o

Well spotted Sir!

I did not look that hard, assuming that there were not existing "bits" that could be combined already of a hideous enough nature.

Is it worth notifying Kingdom Death? Perhaps they need to slip a "Cease and Desist" into GW  for possible infringement before GW send them one retrospectively?

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2154 on: November 11, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »

Is it worth notifying Kingdom Death? Perhaps they need to slip a "Cease and Desist" into GW  for possible infringement before GW send them one retrospectively?
Don't do it man. Let sleeping dogs lie.

GW already made GW tattoo's illegal.
There's no telling how far they'll go to 'protect their IP' on this design :o
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:44:21 PM by The Voivod »
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2155 on: November 11, 2014, 06:53:31 PM »
There's no telling how far they'll go to 'protect their IP' on this design :o

It could lead to a mass extinction event... (Or massive revenue for GW if they decide to demand licence fees on "items closely resembling" their IP. But then again, how do you sue evolution?)

Ooooh, news!
GW has announced their "new" CEO:
http://investor.games-workshop.com/2014/11/11/appointment-of-ceo/
So, the new boss is the old boss' second in command, with the old boss staying on in an "advisory" function... Riiight.  :?

I can just imagine how the board meeting went:
Kirby:
"I want you all to meet the new CEO:

I like to call him Kevin... "
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:48:59 PM by Modhail »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2156 on: November 11, 2014, 08:03:54 PM »
Yeah, just saw that announcement. Well, I guess there will no new life in product development for some time.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2157 on: November 11, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »
that explains the job advert. They were not even trying on that because it was a foregone conclusion. I suspect the job advert was like running a competition for marketing purposes, a good source of names and addresses to pimp tat to and without even having to give anything away as a prize! Think of it as Kirby's last FU to the hobby community.

Well no more than expected really and at least we all can feel good about being right again  :)

I bet he can pull  a few more FUs out of Kevin though.

But still. Plenty of time for a Mr Kirby to deliver at least one more FU directly rather than by proxy, before the changeover.

But that aside.

I am sure that Kevin will fulfill his role to the best of his abilities, as he has no doubt gained many years of experience already of doing exactly what is required, and likely is a good fit for Mr Kirby. Or at least his hand, maybe all the way to the elbow... but i digress, come January they will both be comfortably eased into their new positions, and although Mr Kirby will be taking a back seat I think it is certain that he will continue to maintain his grasp of the Rod of power for some time to come. Hopefully Kevin is comfortable on the receiving end of it.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2158 on: November 11, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
I see a link between the announcement of the new CEO and the latest release. It's all just a bunch of b*ll*cks.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2159 on: November 12, 2014, 03:44:46 AM »
So a Putin-Medvedev swap then?  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.