Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:41:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734076 times)

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2190 on: November 15, 2014, 07:58:04 PM »

£40! (for Australia it's listed as $90!)

It's a black (!) plastic box for goodness' sake!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Project-Box

Or you could, like me, have a biscuit tin full of paints, a pair of plastic beakers from a poundshop pack of 5 for water and brushes, a cheap cutting mat I've had for about 20 years and a newspaper covered dining table to paint on.  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2191 on: November 15, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
As Freelancer stated on another forum: "It's clearly made of the finest hand carved polyeurethane, lovingly packaged for your hobbying pleasure and offered at a special executive price for the discerning idiot."

I think that sums up my sentiments on most things coming from that direction atm...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2192 on: November 15, 2014, 08:25:05 PM »
It only holds 49 paint pots - where are you going to put the other 111 ??? http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ultimate-Paint-Set-2014

Equally, I don't think you're meant to buy an empty box - that would just be silly. No, clearly you're meant to buy the bundle, much better value, and it comes with paint and other stuff for the project box - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Project-Box-Web-Bundle-with-glue

Buy both, and still have change from £570.00 (granted, only 10p, but still...) o_o

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2193 on: November 15, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »
Not enough skullz

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2194 on: November 16, 2014, 12:56:12 AM »
 lol

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #2195 on: November 16, 2014, 01:05:46 AM »
Or you could, like me, have a biscuit tin full of paints, a pair of plastic beakers from a poundshop pack of 5 for water and brushes, a cheap cutting mat I've had for about 20 years and a newspaper covered dining table to paint on.  :D

You are spending too much ... I use old yoghurt pots (after eating the yoghurt) sort yourself out or you'll be ordering the Citadel box before you know it!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2196 on: November 16, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
But you missed a crucial thing: If you spend over €150 on your limited edition miniatures with their limited edition armybook so you can paint them with your limited edition paints in your limited edition black plastic box; you can have them wrapped in GW's limited edition gift wrap (as long as it fits, they say....):
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-FI/Christmas-made-easy?_requestid=1752217#page1

It's almost like GW's copywriters have developed a weird collective form of Tourettes, centred on words like "exclusive", "limited" and "special edition".
What's next? "Limited edition company, buy now before we are gone forever"?

I can't put my finger on why, but this year GWs holiday offerings and sales push feel downright distasteful to me, even more so than previous years. It's barely even game content or miniatures anymore, just gimmicky tripe...

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2197 on: November 16, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
No you have to get the accessory sprue of box skullz for $40 if you want to make it tournament approved.
I'm sure the third party market will be all over this with army specific skulls.  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2198 on: November 16, 2014, 01:13:10 PM »
 lol lol lol lol "Painting pot"

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2199 on: November 16, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
All these wonderful products in glorious GW BLACK - with free skulz.

Black like the interior of the future shops - told you they were going for black products and packaging - well maybe not all the packaging yet - except the xmas box - if your purchases fit.. But the yellow demon thing all over the packaging is damned annoying though.

I like this http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-Palette-Pad

"No more washing!" Fantastic because after buying all their stuff its not as if you would be able to afford to wash.. Anything.

Including yourself.

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #2200 on: November 17, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
Palette pad? I use a glass saucer from ikea ... set me back 49p ... I wash it clean when I wash my hands at the end of the painting session ... I'm as lazy as the next person but seriously this is a product no one needs ... no one at all!

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2201 on: November 17, 2014, 01:28:43 AM »
Palette pad? I use a glass saucer from ikea ... set me back 49p ... I wash it clean when I wash my hands at the end of the painting session ... I'm as lazy as the next person but seriously this is a product no one needs ... no one at all!

To be fair to GW on this one, it's just a recycled art product that no one in the world of fine art painting needed either. initially they were meant to be for oil/thick acrylics that would mess up a permanent pallet but they don't work, they're too flimsy and really no one is that anal about a clean pallet.so yeah, silly product, but they didn't invent it.still stupid tho.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2202 on: November 17, 2014, 08:47:49 AM »
White 250x250mm bathroom tile for me. When there's no free space I just use a window scrapper to get the dried paint off.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2203 on: November 17, 2014, 08:49:09 AM »
I alternate between a 2 quid plastic box wet pallette and cheap pound shop plastic artist pallet and clean accordingly.

To be fair to GW on this one, it's just a recycled art product that no one in the world of fine art painting needed either. initially they were meant to be for oil/thick acrylics that would mess up a permanent pallet but they don't work, they're too flimsy and really no one is that anal about a clean pallet.so yeah, silly product, but they didn't invent it.still stupid tho.

Hehe they may not have invented but someone had the bright idea they should market one.

Suspect the person who did invent it, finally found someone to sell all his stock to.

Bloody useless... no Skulz.

Thinking though, they have missed at two things currently that I would have thought they could re-brand and add to the "kit" -

GW Kitchen towel equivalent and toilet tissue. Dye black, emboss with skulls - list as limited edition and hike the price accordingly.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2204 on: November 17, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
White 250x250mm bathroom tile for me. When there's no free space I just use a window scrapper to get the dried paint off.
For a second there I thought you were talking about GW basing requirements.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:46:04 AM by beefcake »