Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694591
  • Total Topics: 118619
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734069 times)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2235 on: November 18, 2014, 03:48:42 PM »
They could do a Tyrannid mission pack - All the tyrannid swarms go looking to retrieve the dropped pods/dog danglers they have lost.

New range of miniatures with lots of tentacles but no test....round armored pods attached.

But here's a bargain!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Pack-of-Skulls

16 skulls! 50p each! you could make a complete GW miniature out of them, with a couple spare, cheaper than buying a GW mini with all the other useless bits (arms legs etc etc)

amazing value

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2236 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
Timbor, I'm not sure if it was here or elswhere, but I predicted that exact thing...  Sad really, that they'd try such a transparent trick twice.

I think I have an inkling of what the next Warhammer race will be: A race of squishy-headed warriors who are quite miffed about their craniums being stolen...

Or perhaps it's why all Bretonnian knights and Chaos warriors wear those pot helmets all the time? Their skulls are the entry fee to their warrior society. They're actually Mi-Go brain cylinders sat on their shoulders...

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2237 on: November 18, 2014, 04:07:14 PM »
They've just updated their pre-orer page to offer what looks like a free empty box on orders over £100 - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/  o_o

And you'd better hurry, because it's limited edition lol

I think the shark has been jumped, the fat lady has sung, and Elvis is half way down the street ;D

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2238 on: November 18, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »

I think the shark has been jumped, the fat lady has sung, and Elvis is half way down the street ;D

That they maybe, but they are all out of their skulls

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #2239 on: November 18, 2014, 05:48:39 PM »
Timbor, I'm not sure if it was here or elswhere, but I predicted that exact thing...  Sad really, that they'd try such a transparent trick twice.

I know someone on here called that, which is why I found it so amusing.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2240 on: November 18, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »
My skull hurts already, so everybody please cool it a bit with all that boneheadedness.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2241 on: November 18, 2014, 09:58:36 PM »
Ok something completely different

Linky

http://www.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/

Please forgive in advance if someone already mentioned it  :D

Offline Archie

• Mad Scientist
    • The Grinning Frog
« Reply #2242 on: November 18, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
That they maybe, but they are all out of their skulls

That had me laughing outloud!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:09:14 AM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2245 on: November 18, 2014, 11:47:45 PM »
I was in the main downtown Toronto gaming shop today and was reminded how GW's insane retailer policies have reached the point where they are actively robbing themselves.

I recently discovered a fun new scenery use for my ink washes, doing detail wood stains that really pick up the grain - it's a beautiful effect and it's much more forgiving of a little glue spot here or there.

However, I don't want to use my precious old stock for this stuff and I'm not looking for an exact match so any old brand will do. So after the initial experiments, I decided to pick up some other stuff to use. I had some Agrax from before (awful for minis, but great for darker wood!) and picked up some Army Painter Strong Tone as well to experiment with, so I'm well-covered for various browns. Thing is, I also need a nice golden brown somewhat like the old Gryphonne Sepia for fresher-cut wood and while I've tried a couple of brands (the AP Soft Tone is really just a lighter brown, Secret Weapon and Vallejo sepias and yellows didn't look good either) they just won't do. They're either a bright yellow or a straight brown.

Apparently the new GW Sepia is actually not that far off though it still has the gloss and coverage issues of the new washes (but again, this didn't matter for what I'm doing). Alright, fine, grumble grumble, I'll try it. But not only was the shop out of stock on all washes, they have been out of stock for months with absolutely no word from GW as to when or even if they'll ever get a restock, despite the store having them on order for that long. This is a very large shop that does a very large amount of trade, so we're not talking about some minor player. Of course GW's paranoia about retailers reselling online results in deranged parsimony so even when people like me are stupid enough to actually want to spend money on GW products, we can't! Ha!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:49:39 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2246 on: November 19, 2014, 12:02:46 AM »
Apparently the new GW Sepia is actually not that far off though it still has the gloss and coverage issues of the new washes (but again, this didn't matter for what I'm doing). Alright, fine, grumble grumble, I'll try it. But not only was the shop out of stock on all washes, they have been out of stock for months with absolutely no word from GW as to when or even if they'll ever get a restock, despite the store having them on order for that long. This is a very large shop that does a very large amount of trade, so we're not talking about some minor player. Of course GW's paranoia about retailers reselling online results in deranged parsimony so even when people like me are stupid enough to actually want to spend money on GW products, we can't! Ha!

This usually happens just before GW open a store nearby.

They allow the independent retailer to establish the GW fan base for them and once said store is selling enough GW product they pull the plug and open a rival store to them.

Let us see if this happens near you.....

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2247 on: November 19, 2014, 05:12:43 AM »
I doubt it. They've closed two of their three stores in the Toronto area in the past two years.

This store's been in business for many years (they only moved downtown last year, but they weren't too far out of the core before). I wouldn't say there's been any change in the GW scene in town, other than maybe a mild decline given all the competition from other, better games.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:14:32 AM by FramFramson »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2248 on: November 19, 2014, 06:05:56 AM »
I doubt it. They've closed two of their three stores in the Toronto area in the past two years.

This store's been in business for many years (they only moved downtown last year, but they weren't too far out of the core before). I wouldn't say there's been any change in the GW scene in town, other than maybe a mild decline given all the competition from other, better games.

Fair do's.....

Maybe I should have started with the words 'Historically in the UK'....

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2249 on: November 19, 2014, 06:10:04 AM »
 lol