Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 01:41:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742651 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2475 on: January 02, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »
Vermin Lord is up for pre-order. Yours for the give away price of £55.

But, hey - you get enough parts to build one of give variants, so just think of how may bits you're getting for your bits box. It's a steal at twice the price, I tell you lol

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2476 on: January 02, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »
So £55 for Raction man.

Army "centre piece" as GW put it in the blurb

Is that why the latest hobbit/dwarfs in a box is for £118 - they are meant to be centre pieces for your army?

Now I begin to understand all the latest releases - they are going for the army centre piece/collectors market.

Soon all the limited edition GW prices will reflect this for all their products! Everything will be a centre piece for our armies/skirmish/apocolypsosomthing bands.

No more left flank, right flank, front and rear nonsense, everything will be in the centre.

That aside, one of five possible combinations sure, but, but, there don't seem to be many skulz on it?

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #2477 on: January 02, 2015, 10:18:11 PM »
Quite a fan of the old Vermin Lord that seems to have been around since the early nineties. Don't like this new one much at all. I bet it's massive too. Something else that puts me off.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2478 on: January 02, 2015, 10:59:59 PM »
Well it fits in with the Nagash theme: Huge torso, tiny little head and arms, enormous weight-toppling headpiece.

And it still doesn't offend me as much as the knowledge that GW fanboys will squeal themselves hoarse over it. (I mean, hurrah for subjectivity and all that, but this is what's overhyping GW into it's grave)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2479 on: January 02, 2015, 11:22:26 PM »
Quite a fan of the old Vermin Lord that seems to have been around since the early nineties. Don't like this new one much at all. I bet it's massive too. Something else that puts me off.

Yup Me to. nice, big enough but not too big, and still miles better than their later attempt, and the latest to.

Well it fits in with the Nagash theme: Huge torso, tiny little head and arms, enormous weight-toppling headpiece.

And it still doesn't offend me as much as the knowledge that GW fanboys will squeal themselves hoarse over it. (I mean, hurrah for subjectivity and all that, but this is what's overhyping GW into it's grave)

True.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2480 on: January 03, 2015, 12:05:03 AM »
That new Verminlord is a big bag of shite. It looks like a little ratty goldilocks. Well, not little. This new action figure Warcrafty aesthetic they go for now has really nailed the coffin shut for me.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2481 on: January 03, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
Yup Me to. nice, big enough but not too big, and still miles better than their later attempt, and the latest to.

Agreed. It's showing it's age a bit, IMO, but it's reasonably well-balanced, detailed, and proportioned. Not like the forgeworld one that looked like a wet sack of turnips with legs sticking out awkwardly, or this one that looks like the concept sketch was drawn by an overexcited crayon.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2482 on: January 03, 2015, 03:44:05 AM »
Not a fan of the overdone fur on the back of it. The hooves look weird as well. How many of those tails will break the first time used on a gaming board? (Multiply answer by two as its a double tail.)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2483 on: January 03, 2015, 05:32:44 AM »
I'm just sick of all the BIG McLARGE-HUGE stuff in general. Seems the only arm of GW coming out with interesting regular 28mm minis is Forge World and they're the one outfit that can be guaranteed to have even more screamingly insane prices than GW proper.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #2484 on: January 03, 2015, 02:47:30 PM »
I'm just sick of all the BIG McLARGE-HUGE stuff in general.

They keep trying to supersize your order even though you didn't ask for it. ;D

I'll get me coat.

Seems the only arm of GW coming out with interesting regular 28mm minis is Forge World and they're the one outfit that can be guaranteed to have even more screamingly insane prices than GW proper.

Strangely, I've been seeing some GW fans - with novelty quickly wearing off - say that standard GW prices are rapidly approaching FW level, and the quality of the latter now makes it better value.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2485 on: January 03, 2015, 05:29:32 PM »
Why can't Skaven just be small scuttling, sewer-dwellers again? When did someone decide they were better off being man-sized monsters towing enormous monuments around with them?

Waste of a great idea.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2486 on: January 03, 2015, 06:43:08 PM »
Because someone(s) in charge at GW thinks Wagner is too subtle and restrained and Rococo is to austere and lacking in detail...

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2487 on: January 03, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
I always liked them as the sneaky vile little bad guys.

Never really knowing when they would beat up the other army or just mess all their rolls and kick the living daylights out of themselves.

When they work they are brilliant, when it all hits the fan they are still brilliant - you end up laughing and having a great battle even though you loose.

This latest outing looks more like nagash shrunken head giant vs Raction man shrunken head giant, see which ones bits break off the quickest.

Guess there will shortly be shrunken head giant leader for Empire and others, maybe not elves as it looks like they are getting sunk beneath the waves..?

I get the feeling the GW WHB Apocalypso is more about reducing the model range to generic races - one of each, Men/Elves/Greenthings/Undead/Rats/Chaos...?

Bit boring really, and sad if that's what is going to be GW Fantasy offerings for 2015 - especially as the prices will of course be  :o

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2488 on: January 03, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
Yeah, next for the empire it will be Sigmar reincarnated. Possibly just a Thrud style miniature.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2489 on: January 03, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Because someone(s) in charge at GW thinks Wagner is too subtle and restrained and Rococo is to austere and lacking in detail...

lol lol lol