Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:52:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694585
  • Total Topics: 118618
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1733988 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2760 on: February 15, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
Glee doesn't strike me as the emotion evoked by such a humourless bunch of asshats.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2761 on: February 15, 2015, 07:48:29 AM »
well, glee followed by hillbilly chuckles  ;)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2762 on: February 15, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »
That ruined GW shop us GENIUS!! lol lol lol lol

The only reason it wasn't counted 'in the spirit' was because it wasn't made from offical GW gothic ruins!! ;)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #2763 on: February 15, 2015, 11:02:58 PM »
I didn't mean to wag my finger quite so much, but, well, Fram's right. Most folk still buy these models in order to build an army and play the game. Even buying GW minis for games with somewhat smaller mini requirements, I feel a bit frustrated at how much GW charge for their products: geared for mass production and army-building, but priced like premium collector's minis.

Hmm, someone needs to sort a new 40K skirmish system "all races Necromunda" if you will.

....but I neeeeed a 2000pt army to play the official tournament! I hear cried.....

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2764 on: February 16, 2015, 04:33:34 AM »
That would be awesome. They did it to some degree with kill team in 4th ed if I recall correctly. Not as much of a campaign as Necromunda though. Never played it myself though

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #2765 on: February 16, 2015, 01:41:59 PM »
Inquisi-gorka-Munda 28 all 40K factions campaign or "one off" format please.
Any takers?

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #2766 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »
One Page Kill Team is a good attempt.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2767 on: February 17, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »
There's a Mordheim variant called World in Arms that has warbands for the main 40k armies.  Never played it, so let us know how you get on!

Search on "Mordheim World in Arms" to find the PDF.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #2768 on: February 18, 2015, 08:06:32 PM »
Mr Peabody,
     I'm right there with you.  Every 4th club meeting or so we leave the comfort of our homes where we usually play and head to a FLGS in the northwest suburbs.  Whether we're playing Song of Blades or 2000 point Kings of War, per our club standard our figures are always painted.  Unfortunately we're often the exception.

It's shocking to look across at the 40k club that meets on the same evening and see what's on the table.  Last time there was a player playing with 2 or 3 dreadknights.  Except they weren't dreadknights, they were black primed dreadknight legs stuck to a base.  I'd say that on any given night usually around 50% of what they put on the table is painted.  What is the point?

Hmm, someone needs to sort a new 40K skirmish system "all races Necromunda" if you will.

....but I neeeeed a 2000pt army to play the official tournament! I hear cried.....

A system like this perhaps?
https://thegamesshed.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/in-the-emperors-name/

Of course that still doesn't help those who actually enjoy the reinforced-platoon-to-company level game that 40k is.    It's not unfair to criticize the price of a 1500 point army when that's the standard level of play for the game.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2769 on: March 03, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »
Bloodthirster's get the multiversion £70 treatment

with multi  skull options, I mean head options

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Khorne-Bloodthirster-2014?_requestid=2923008

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2770 on: March 03, 2015, 11:17:42 PM »
A thing that really makes me wonder why GW don't realize they must be something wrong, is the fact that Wayland games has now at least 2 brick-and-mortar stores/hobby centres (maybe more?), at least one of them with a bar, while GW is downsizing and closing stores.

If Wayland's suppliers can earn money selling stuff through independent retail (remember the retail mark-up that diminishes the manufacturers' profit-margin), and Wayland apparently earn enough to justify opening stores, why can't GW sell their stuff at just a tad higher prices than other companies' stuff (like they used to do), getting sufficient sales to keep their stores running?

I just don't get it.

Does anyone on here know the Wayland stores, btw?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2771 on: March 04, 2015, 07:00:18 AM »
I remember getting an email about those. I wonder though if it is so they can stock GW stuff. They came out with those ridiculous regulations a while back.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2772 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »
As much as the fact that Wayland main shop/showroom, that would be nice to get to see, is also appended to their warehouse I think.

Still they don't have as many physical shops, so no overstretch problems.. Its not as if they have shops in every city/country etc to deal with.

As my own collecting/gaming is quite random and eclectic? I am not particularly into getting much GW stuff so their nonsense and who supplies it is not a big deal to me, there's plenty other sources of stuff out there, and ebay occasionally provides any GW fix I need. Usually Cheaper.

If you read GW mission statements, policies and their definition of the "GW hobby" note its not the wargaming - fantasy or sci-fi, or miniature collection hobby or painting hobby but specifically their hobby they talk of.

You can see the negativity involved and pretty much the only way they can maintain some sustained profit levels is via cutting back in areas of the business rather than expansion - its the easier way to do it without actually having to find a way to grow the business back to valid profit.

Price increases, cost cuts - eg close stores, and utilize IP via other  companies - eg license computer games/apps from them  (including games they have actively and intentionally dropped from physical product lines some years ago - dust off the IP and milk).

Add all the other stuff its clear they are not exactly in line with good business practice, and probably more aligned with a completely different plain of existence.. Still get me entertainments where I can.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure they can go years more like this, at least until the real main man actually reaches pensionable age and does not need the cash cow anymore.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2773 on: March 04, 2015, 07:41:23 PM »
If they are supposed to reap skullz why do they have huge hammers to crush them?
Or am I just sprouting hate because they are awful models?  lol
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2774 on: March 04, 2015, 07:41:37 PM »
Removed a couple of posts featuring scans from WD. Do not post copyrighted material, if you please, especially GW.