Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 10:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696494
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 566
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742408 times)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2865 on: March 30, 2015, 04:09:12 PM »
Nah, Necromunda was just 2E with single models. I mean a different "size" of game really, more like Mordheim.

I'm sure there's room for a game with 10-15 models where there are a mix of small uinits and heroes, something bigger (and frankly less random) than Necromunda, but much smaller (and therefore more playable) than 2E.

Maybe not for this thread, but how is Mordheim (evolving gang game in post apocalyptic medieval background with 10-15 figures per gang) essentially different from Necromunda (evolving gang game in post apocalyptic Sci fi background with 10-15 figures per gang)? Put aside some arcane edition differences?
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2866 on: March 30, 2015, 04:55:52 PM »
Very briefly then:

In Necromunda you typically have about 7-9 models, all act totally independently, and are essentially all "heroes".

In Mordheim, you typically have a slightly higher higher model count (10-15) and two tiers of troops: the henchmen and the heroes. The henchmen advance very slowly, all have to be equipped alike within their "squads", etc. Occasionally, a henchman may be promoted to hero, at which point he drops from the squad and begins to advance rather faster like the other heroes do. The heroes are all individual.

The Necromunda style skirmish is good for Inquisitor type settings where you want a band of totally individual heroes. The Mordheim style is better if you still want to retain a slight feel of troops drawn from a larger army and maintain the difference between the basic squaddies and the heroic leaders.

There are many other differences too, but they are more minor and tied to the settings. Still, the main thing about Mordheim is that it still retains the feel of squads, which is lost in Necromunda, and was the main point I was trying to make.

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #2867 on: March 30, 2015, 05:11:04 PM »
Heroes vs henchmen sound a lot like the Leaders and Heavies vs Gangers and Juves. The latter advance slower/start at a greater disadvantage. Playing a Necromunda gang well does require playing then as a team, although you do not have to (but you want to if you like winning). I will give the Mordheim book a read. It's intriguing as I always considered Mordheim a simple fantasy Necro ripoff.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2868 on: March 30, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
Well, they are similar (obviously), but they do have important differences too.

And no, juves are not really like henchmen at all. Henchmen are like gangers that are bought and equipped in sets, and that don't advance much. Juves are worse versions of gangers with weapons restrictions, and which gain advances very quickly indeed; at a certain level, they just automatically become regular gangers, but with more random statlines/skills than if you had just recruited full gangers normally.

Heavies and leaders are more comparable to Mordheim's heroes though.

The other thing is that advancements are controlled by the player in Mordheim, but are randomly rolled in Necromunda. This tends to create more focused warbands than the (often highly random) gangs in Necromunda.

Both systems have their merits and drawbacks; I think Mordheim is considered the more streamlined of the two though. I don't think that's a bad thing however, especially if you're not using the advances system at all and just want to play a tiny skirmish version of 40k.

Anyway, if you can find the rules for it, you should give Mordheim a go - you might like it! :)

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2869 on: April 04, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »
got 5 metal chaos terminators for $15 today. Mindgames melbourne city keeping GW real
:o

But but.. you could have http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Sicarians for just $78

117 bits of plastic 117-component kit with 40mm bases... GW are going to be really sad you prefer realistic value and prices...

Have to admit, when it comes to fantasy, sci fi or not, they really live in it to the full

GW. Keeping as far away from reality as possible  o_o

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2870 on: April 04, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »
Sale bin?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2871 on: April 04, 2015, 08:41:53 AM »
I wish I had a local store that had a sale bin.  lol What a deal

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2872 on: April 04, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »
Agreed. I remember the great sale around 1998 (or 1997?)
I get the idea that Epic scale stuff went on sale across the world, but at the time I got loads of 28mm stuff too - termies at around the same price as Scurv's, and two large boxes of Praetorian Guard for the price of 1.... was that widespread too?

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2873 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:02 AM »
yeah sale bin

I could have got an entire chaos army there for about $100.

That would be nice

+1 for that.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2874 on: April 04, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
I have to admit that the other day I went into archeron a games shop in Hull and in their bitz boxes, for a fiver I got the entire £30 fellowship in plastic for a fiver. Boromir was missing but the rest where there and in good unpainted condition.

So if you are ever in Hull, drop by there haha. and give me a bell for a friendly meet up haha  lol
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2875 on: April 04, 2015, 01:40:15 PM »
Is GW copying Micro Art Studios?

CEASE AND DESIST!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #2876 on: April 04, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »
lol

That's the thing about these walkers. I guess they're somewhat based on the old epic knight lancers, which I'm not opposed to; except that they've made the walkers too much like a mechanical animal that a rider perches on, rather than a vehicle, if you get my meaning. Doesn't entirely sit right, especially, um, sitting so high.

I think this is what makes them good! The mechanicus aren't gonna build a machine that looks subservient to man, they're gonna build a proud independent machine!  I can imagine this think stalking it's way through martian archives, leaning down low like a scavenger and picking at ruins and scrap, the servitor at it's center just a processor to stop it being infernal.I like the idea that this machine might actually have a role besides being a support for its rider.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2877 on: April 05, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
Thanks scurv, I'm normally an impulse buyer though so if I can't see what I immediately dont' need... ;)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #2878 on: April 13, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »
Hmm those dragoon walkers and the skittarii Rangers could make a lovely feudal sci fi knight army.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2879 on: April 15, 2015, 10:15:58 AM »

It could look like Forge World is bringing out a Warlord Titan :o