Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 04:17:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696550
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742933 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #2985 on: May 27, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
I was in my local store on Friday (needed some paint) and had a look around before purchasing. They had a Dark Eldar figure that I quite liked, but it was £14, so I put it back. That sort of money is acceptable for a boxed set, but not for a single figure (and certainly not for an impluse buy). It's not like you even get any extra bits to add to the bits box.

The thing with the plastic single-figure packs is that a number of them offer beautifully posed and "3D" models that would be a nightmare to assemble in metal and too fragile in resin.  OK, not so true for the space marine stuff.

I have a couple - the Wight King and Skink Shaman.  They're amazing figures.  Bought them when they came out at £8 though, and they were pricy then...

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2986 on: May 27, 2015, 03:48:41 PM »
I too have a few of the WHFB single figures that were between £7-9, and I felt that whilst pricey, they were good models and I can sort of see why they cost what they did for one-off plastic models. Weirdly, I didn't even get the buyer's regret I often experience.

The trouble is that for 40k, the single figures are just silly money (+50% or more) for basically the same thing, and I struggle to justify that even to myself (even the "close your eyes and just pay whatever" just fails now).

Anyway. Enough from me for now! :P

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2987 on: May 27, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »
Ok! I nearly had a heart attack tonight!! I thought I'd take a wee quick trip into my local GW store to get paintbrushes. Figured I'd sort out my fine brushes that are at the end of their life. £12 for a fine detail brush!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/XS-Artificer-Layer-Brush

The guy in the store said they were high quality and that people that knew how to use them would spend that much!! Dickhead! The brush ends were even all split and shitty!!

GW.....You've hit a new low!!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2988 on: May 27, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
Ok! I nearly had a heart attack tonight!! I thought I'd take a wee quick trip into my local GW store to get paintbrushes. Figured I'd sort out my fine brushes that are at the end of their life. £12 for a fine detail brush!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/XS-Artificer-Layer-Brush

The guy in the store said they were high quality and that people that knew how to use them would spend that much!! Dickhead! The brush ends were even all split and shitty!!

GW.....You've hit a new low!!

Oh dear.

That's. wow.

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Koliinsky_Sable_.html happy with those.

there was a thread about brushes a while back to.

Ask and ye shall receive - Forgeworld Reaver Titan - body only £438.00 - but, hey, free p&p o_o

Arms, carapaces etc start at about £55.00 each

Does not count 'cause its forgeworld   ;D

Silly aside, though lovely  'model' but wow, thats a lot to lash out for your GW hobby.

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2989 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:42 PM »
Does not count 'cause its forgeworld   ;D
Looking at the Mechanicus releases (some of them are quite nice, but the prices are too rich for my blood), it seems GW is determined to make Forgeworld the "budget brand" by comparison...  o_o
Just a few mor years of price hikes..."adjustments" and they will achieve that goal.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2990 on: May 27, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »
Which size would you recommend Tactalvanic? Whats a good size for detail work on 28mm minis?

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #2991 on: May 27, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »
Size is secondary.  You will be able to paint fine detail better with a well-pointed no 1 brush than with a splayed 000.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2992 on: May 27, 2015, 05:01:26 PM »
£12 for a GW is ridiculous.

A Winsor & Newton Series 7 size 1 will be useful for any human-sized figure, and is sharp enough to paint highlights on a model's eyeballs! Amazon have one here for about £7.

They might not be the cheapest you can buy, but they are by far the best I've ever used (and I wouldn't go back now without major convincing).

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2993 on: May 27, 2015, 08:21:14 PM »
Which size would you recommend Tactalvanic? Whats a good size for detail work on 28mm minis?

As already mentioned point is priority but they are ok brushes

02/0 and 03/0 generally

The 3/0 are nice, fine, the 5/0 are getting  :o fine and tiny, but still, good points on those I have.

The 10/0 - any finer and there would only be one or two bristles on them.

Cannot argue that the Windsors are tops, but these ones are nice what I received all had good points when new..

and I can be bad and order some classic minis at the same time.

Its really a shocker that you can get a good Windsor & Newton for a fiver less than a GW brush. thats just mad.

Offline weismonsters

• Scientist
« Reply #2994 on: May 27, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »
I agree with others that a Windsor and Newton size 1 is great, versatile and with a good brush cleanerand careful use  will last a long time.

I find Rotmarder Kolinski brushes to be a good, cheaper alternative too.

Personally i would use a smaller brush for very fine detail because I am clumsy and need all the help i can get.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2995 on: May 28, 2015, 08:48:27 AM »
The bloke did ask me if I wanted any new brushes when I was buying the paint. I declined, saying I probably had more brushes than they did (sad, but true  o_o). Fortunately he didn't mention any prices, as I'm fairly sure that the "you're kidding, right" thought wouldn't have stayed in my head.

Rosemary's brushes for me these days. Better than the W&N ones I have, and half the cost. Plus, they arrive within about five minutes of placing the order (well, not quite, but not far off it)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2996 on: May 28, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
I'm used to seeing GW prices day rocket but I just checked what a single tech priest is in NZD $73. That's almost a whole new miniatures boardgame from other manufacturers.

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #2997 on: May 28, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
Rosemary's brushes for me these days. Better than the W&N ones I have, and half the cost. Plus, they arrive within about five minutes of placing the order (well, not quite, but not far off it)

Zemjw, if I were to replace my old set of GW-standard brushes, what would you recommend from Rosemary?
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #2998 on: May 28, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »
Mine are at home, so I'll check out which ones I have tonight. This thread - http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=16034.0 covers most of them. If memory serves, it's mainly the series 22 and 33 I have - link

The main thing to remember is to order short handles. Rosemary's brushes are used by "real" artists as well - the folks who like to stand a few feet back from their canvas while painting - and the bigger handles are sized accordingly :D

I did buy a couple of brushes (can't remember which make at the moment) with stupidly long handles. I've always been scared to use them in case I poke an eye out ;D

edit: I'm looking at the brushes just now, and it's series 22 and 33. I mainly use size 0 and 1, but have smaller and larger sizes when the need dictates. To chuck some other names into the mix - look at Raphael and da Vinci. I have a couple of their sable brushes that I use regularly. However, definitely check handle sizes before buying.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:56:23 PM by zemjw »

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #2999 on: May 30, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »
Rumour is that the expensive brush is a rebadged Windsor and Newton 7, size 000.  As Major Gilbear said though, they're still cheaper elsewhere...

After years of using cheaper brushes, I'm still getting used to my W&Ns, but they are gorgeous.  The length of the bristles holds much more paint than I'm used to and, as Steve F said, it's surprising how fine a line you can get with a decent point on a good brush.