Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 01:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696512
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 566
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1742615 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3330 on: July 06, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »
To be honest, I think it would look better if it wasn't there... 
It's just soooo gaudy!

I get the Reichstag nickname though, and it wasn't just the eagle. The original floorplan of Warhammer World could have been designed by Speer himself.
(Personally I'm still amazed no-one or no local political party raised a kerfuffle when they hoisted that Eagle onto the facade...)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3331 on: July 06, 2015, 07:49:20 PM »
Spray your mouth with gold paint and auto-success all your to-hit rolls? ;D

I'm imagining the release for the new WFB with Tom Kirby doing this and then racing out onto the floor of the London stock exchange screaming "WITNESS ME!!!" while brokers scream back "WITNESS!!!!"

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3332 on: July 06, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »
Right, i gave the rules a full play through and a quick play test by myself with whatever i had on the shelf.

I have to say that as a bare bones set of rules.... i kind of like it ...  o_o

It isn't fantasy in any form ,but i never played fantasy, i liked some of the models but never had any intention of getting into it for the exact reasons AoS was created,because ti was too expensive to start and had way to high a model count, and rules that seemed kind of old school on a bad way to me.
This feels VERY gw, but in a VERY new and different way, it has some of that 80's punky, everything fighting everything else for the sheer fun kind of vibe.

Is it perfect?Far from it, but i'm expecting after a bit of fleshing out ,this will turn into a pretty good solid system for having casual fun games.
(no, i did not do the dancing/drinking parts with myself. I chose units that lacked those rules.)

I hate to say it, but i think this game was aimed squarely at people like me,And GW have done a good job at hitting that mark.

(But i do see where the hate is coming from , because F**k, they destroyed fantasy! )
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #3333 on: July 06, 2015, 10:56:12 PM »
Spray your mouth with gold paint and auto-success all your to-hit rolls? ;D

lol lol

WFB Dies, to live again. (At least that's their intention) Brothers, we shall see WFB in Valhalla!

;D

It's probably best they moved the Nazi memorabilia around the back, it's a slightly better public image ;)

Cheers
Matt

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3334 on: July 06, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
lol lol

WFB Dies, to live again. (At least that's their intention) Brothers, we shall see WFB in Valhalla!

;D

It's probably best they moved the Nazi memorabilia around the back, it's a slightly better public image ;)

Cheers
Matt

The Back - Its the New Front you realize

And under all that gold paint is a Space Marine just waiting to burst out shouting "surprise! it was all a dream!"

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #3335 on: July 07, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
The only thing I really dislike about the new game is that melee and wound rolls are not relative to the skills of the attacker and defender. A goblin has as much chance of hitting and wounding a dragon as he does a butterfly.

The rest of it I could live with as a fun game. We'll likely stick to 8th ed in our group though.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3336 on: July 07, 2015, 12:29:28 AM »
The only thing I really dislike about the new game is that melee and wound rolls are not relative to the skills of the attacker and defender. A goblin has as much chance of hitting and wounding a dragon as he does a butterfly.

The rest of it I could live with as a fun game. We'll likely stick to 8th ed in our group though.

I see alot of people worrying about that, but it oddly enough doesn't bother me.  I can see a goblin being able to HIT a dragon, especially when you consider that the mechanic is meant to represent 20-30 goblins all scrambling and stabbing like maniacs. The result of whether the hit is effective should be calculated using the save of the dragonk, which it is.
I think if i play a few more games and it does become an issue i might play around with house ruling a fix, but right now, it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #3337 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:26 AM »
I see alot of people worrying about that, but it oddly enough doesn't bother me.  I can see a goblin being able to HIT a dragon, especially when you consider that the mechanic is meant to represent 20-30 goblins all scrambling and stabbing like maniacs. The result of whether the hit is effective should be calculated using the save of the dragonk, which it is.

I get that I suppose. It still makes the wound roll a little superfluous as they could have combined into save roll. It's things like this that have put me off since other, much smaller publishers are already doing this sort of game better.

Fair play to them in moving to scenarios though. It seems like a nicer way to keep people buying with out the "new army book" debacle.

Shame, though, as we'll likely use other systems for this type of game and stick to 8th (maybe 6th or 3rd) for the original style of game. I think they've lost me.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3338 on: July 07, 2015, 10:08:04 AM »
I can understand the simplification of the fixed to-hit rolls and such, although I do agree it's a bit poor. I guess that the score reflects a baseline "quality", and that weight of attacks/models/special rules for mobbing or whatever make up the difference.

What surprises me more though is that they tried this before with Epic 40k, and everyone apparently "hated it" enough for Jervis to change the whole system again for Epic: Armageddon.

Fair play to them in moving to scenarios though. It seems like a nicer way to keep people buying with out the "new army book" debacle.

^ As for this...

Well, let's just say that GW will still find a way to monetise rules and army composition. I mean, it's too lucrative and tempting for them not to! What we'll more likely see is a move to having unit rules bundled into their model boxes, or available separately on some sort of micro-transaction/DLC basis. And, as anyone with a functioning brain will point out; this is actually more expensive, and more of a barrier to having a complete set of rules.

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3339 on: July 07, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
Just to deviate from the serious conversation,I wonder what the ooruks will look like ?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3340 on: July 07, 2015, 12:27:13 PM »
Just to deviate from the serious conversation,I wonder what the ooruks will look like ?

Hmm, weirdly, I don't think they'll look too different. Hopefully they'll lose the "Action Man" arms though by dint of being full sculpts instead of mix-n-match affairs.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3341 on: July 07, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
Assume main difference will be - bigger.

and fewer multipart-miniatures in each box..

Offline baldlea

• Librarian
« Reply #3342 on: July 07, 2015, 12:39:50 PM »
Well, let's just say that GW will still find a way to monetise rules and army composition. I mean, it's too lucrative and tempting for them not to! What we'll more likely see is a move to having unit rules bundled into their model boxes, or available separately on some sort of micro-transaction/DLC basis.

You're probably right but if the core principal will be to sell boxed sets with new scenarios and the associated figures and rules, it seems like a more elegant model to promote ongoing sales than ret-conning units and endless new editions.

Whether that's what they do remains to be seen.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3343 on: July 07, 2015, 12:58:27 PM »
You're probably right but if the core principal will be to sell boxed sets with new scenarios and the associated figures and rules, it seems like a more elegant model to promote ongoing sales than ret-conning units and endless new editions.

Whether that's what they do remains to be seen.

Some months ago GW did say or indicate an intent in future to release limited edition units/sets, at least for 40K, that would then be replaced by the next short term available units/rules.

I expect that might feature for AOS as well - maintstay units, eg StormCast/Chaos and new short term available units with rules data sheet in box, so you either have them or not.

I would also expect they might make the data sheets for them available for download/purchase in electronic format until the unit was no longer available.

Another basic push to keep players buying the next box...

And of course whilst doing that, destroy all the old miniatures that the target new players would not want to play with anyway because, they are old, and the GW hobby is about the 'now', the 'new' latest bestest releases.

Like the no-doubt upcoming limited edition Space Hulk 2016 Edition... ::)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3344 on: July 07, 2015, 12:59:10 PM »

This bugs me a bit too, though it's not just GW who do it. The same mechanic is used in Lion Rampant. You have an attack value and you roll it to hit, whether you are fighting a fully armoured man at arms or a stinking peasant. In that game the effectiveness of the hit is then down to the armour rating of the target, which equates to an amalgamated roll to wound/roll to save. There's a similar mechanic in Saga. I think both these games "get away" with it because it's man vs man. A fantasy game needs to (IMO) factor in all the different races and their varying skills/toughness, etc. It would be easy to house rule this, give a bonus/penalty if you felt the need. You have to make up quite a few rules in AOS so why not?