Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 01:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696471
  • Total Topics: 118770
  • Online Today: 540
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1741706 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3420 on: July 13, 2015, 11:07:38 PM »
DE players, at least, are hanging onto their dreadspears.

I think the effort involved in building and painting forty-plus of the ugly bastards for a single unit is enough of a torture to make folks reluctant to replace them in a hurry...  ::)

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3421 on: July 14, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Besides why sell now at the worst possible time?
Also 8ed is not going anywhere and you can use you models for kings of war or any other generic wargame.

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3422 on: July 14, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
I have to admit I bought the lord celestine mounted figure the other day, I am converting him to be an inquisitor in true scale (possibly) marine armour and having the mount as some kind of lizard creature from the Catachan jungle world.

It was the ONLY model that I really liked from the ste and did not want to buy the full thing so went to ebay to buy him seperately at quite a good price....
.: Logan's band of survivors of the battle of Ursun's teeth :.

For blog posts with more info here.....
http://let-the-galaxy-burn-again.blogspot.co.uk/
And the vlogs here....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyMQNtc1ANwIbEN80M-gwA

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3423 on: July 14, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
I have to admit I bought the lord celestine mounted figure the other day, I am converting him to be an inquisitor in true scale (possibly) marine armour and having the mount as some kind of lizard creature from the Catachan jungle world.

It was the ONLY model that I really liked from the ste and did not want to buy the full thing so went to ebay to buy him seperately at quite a good price....
It's quite an eye catching centrepiece .
I must admit from the pics ive seen on the web,I'm tempted to do some sci fi Knights with them.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3424 on: July 14, 2015, 10:28:30 PM »
I'm wondering if any Fantasy players will try out War of the Ring.  I'm honestly surprised GW didn't use that as the base rules for Age of Sigmar.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #3425 on: July 14, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »
I'm wondering if any Fantasy players will try out War of the Ring.  I'm honestly surprised GW didn't use that as the base rules for Age of Sigmar.

+1 my preferred fantasy set. Simple to learn and fun. Just needs a reigning in of charactrs (one per full 1000 points).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3426 on: July 15, 2015, 02:00:07 AM »
So it seems that in the fluff slaanesh has been captured and bound by the elves (which he/she would probably enjoy...) and the great horned rat of the skaven has taken his seat in the chaos pantheon, with his millions of chattering followers multiplying and increasing his strength.

And you know what? I'm okay with this.
The skaven are cool, and i think they mix a bit of all the 4 gods together, sort of jack of all trades god that seeks to usurp all the others , which i think fits the idea of skaven culture and the idea of the chaos gods.
On top of that, as much as i like slaanesh, i do get the feeling that GW just didn't know what to do with it.As much as i'd love to see it properly fleshed out int he fiction, with a proper 18+ rating and all kinds of horror , on the tabletop it was hard to get across how slaanesh worked as a force, It's such a psychological thing that it worked better small scale, like in dark heresy roleplaying or something.
I will say that it does seem odd not to have mans lustfull nature represented in the pantheon of chaos, but i think the horned rat kind of has that covered , since it only seeks to control, to own, to do everything to satisfy itself regardless of all others.
 plus no offence to people who put alot of effort in, but i was getting a bit tired of people sticking a barbie doll on a defiler and giving it tentacle genitals
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3427 on: July 15, 2015, 03:14:27 AM »

plus no offence to people who put alot of effort in, but i was getting a bit tired of people sticking a barbie doll on a defiler and giving it tentacle genitals

lol

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3428 on: July 15, 2015, 04:28:55 AM »
lol

You laugh, but the last time i went to a gw store for a pick up game ,the guy i was playing against was running a slaanesh demon army.
His army consisted of...
1 dr who spider woman model,unconverted or painted.
3 nude anime models,unconverted or painted.
a bunch of random female action figures with green stuff "claws" (mittens.)
a handfull of marines that he proxied as noise marines.
a toy soldier tank that he used a a rhino.

He spent the entire game pointing out how his army was super sexual.I didn't find it offensive, i found it juvenile ,and I think that's the other reason gw want to push slaanesh into the back seat,not because kids might be subjected to dangerous nipples, but because all too often slaanesh gets picked up by "that guy" who uses it as a way to act like a 13 year old during sex ed.

(if you play slaanesh, then AWESOME! i think it has great potential to make good thematic armies,and i am sure the majorty of all players are civil and cool guys, but for some reason all i ever seem to see of the god of greed,pleasure and excess is "lol nipples and sex lolololol" and yeah, it's boring. )

Offline matthais-mouse

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3429 on: July 15, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
It's quite an eye catching centrepiece .
I must admit from the pics ive seen on the web,I'm tempted to do some sci fi Knights with them.

I do believe for sci fi knights they would be perfect.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #3430 on: July 15, 2015, 08:56:41 AM »
You laugh, but the last time i went to a gw store for a pick up game ,the guy i was playing against was running a slaanesh demon army.

[...]

Seems like you encountered "That Guy" rather than someone who was merely enjoying the Slaaneshi theme in a puerile way. I'll bet he's the type that'd manage to spoil anything he turned his hand to for the sake of getting attention...   ::)

And to be fair, most of the Slaaneshi and Tzeentch armies I see online seem to have rather a lot of effort put into them (especially compared to the much more common lazy efforts made for Khorne and Nurgle armies).

Of course, any army can be made with care and effort or not, and that's entirely up to each person to decide for themselves. If you don't like those people/armies/efforts, then I'd suggest the old advice of simply not playing them. Seems a shame though to kill off a theme and story hook just because some people struggle socially.

Models-wise, regardless of whether or not one may like AoS, they are as technically good as usual from GW. I personally find most of them not to my taste (especially the Sigmarines), and feel that a good few of them are too wonky-looking or lack a proper focal point. That said, I do like the look of some of the Chaos models, and I think I can convert them into WHFB well enough. I'll likely just get the ones I'm interested in from Ebay and then happily chop 'em up!  :D

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3431 on: July 15, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »
Does anyone think Slaanesh just turned to it's followers sometimes and said, "Why don't we just cuddle any more?"
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #3432 on: July 15, 2015, 11:15:02 AM »
He spent the entire game pointing out how his army was super sexual.I didn't find it offensive, i found it juvenile ,and I think that's the other reason gw want to push slaanesh into the back seat,not because kids might be subjected to dangerous nipples, but because all too often slaanesh gets picked up by "that guy" who uses it as a way to act like a 13 year old during sex ed.

As compared with the shop full of sophisticated gamers, screaming "Waaaaargh" or shouting "Skulls for the Skull God"? Isn't practically everybody in a GW shop (and arguably any gaming scenario from an outside point of view) "that guy"?

It's strange how Slaanesh gets a lot of flak because of the sex thing, particularly in the current age of overt sexual images all over the web/TV/posters, you would think people would become immune to it. It's still somehow offensive that a one inch tall toy has a tiny nipple on show. But skulls, massive weapons, killing and maiming, that's all okay. Dark Elves and skaven are quite partial to capturing prisoners to torture, experiment on them, or work them to death as slaves, but hey we are all cool with that. The way one thing is latched on to, while others with far more serious real world counterparts are just ignored, that's the thing that baffles me.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #3434 on: July 15, 2015, 12:15:22 PM »
It makes sense now - http://paintbrushandsuperglue.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/the-age-of-sigmar-explained.html  Cheesy
That's witty, and much better written and evocative than anything I've seen produced by GW for a quite a while!

The way one thing is latched on to, while others with far more serious real world counterparts are just ignored, that's the thing that baffles me.
I fully agree; I also find it puzzling that tiny bits of exposed (living) flesh seem more shocking to many gamers than piles of mangled corpses.