Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:37:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread  (Read 1734166 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
Re: The LAF Games Workshop Discussion Thread
« Reply #3450 on: July 16, 2015, 12:42:18 AM »
I picked up this weeks white dwarf and the gates of azyr novel.
Half way through and you know what, it's not bad.In terms of writing it's what you'd expect from a starter set companion novel (remember the assault on black reach novel,jesus!) There are mortal humans left in the realms , fighting, living their lives, doing what they do, but the majority of the realms have been over run by chaos and are now beginning to be pushed back by sigmar.

The eternals themselves aren't as immortal/invulnerable as we've been told by the little captions so far,they can die from a few well placed strikes, they can only be resurrected by the crypt lord according to the fluff,if they die fully before he can help them then they're gone.
Also, they do seem to have personality and memory of who they were before sigmar plucked them out of their realms to become sigmarines, which i think is good since it allows you to actually feel invested in the conflicts.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #3451 on: July 16, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »
Thats some progress in definition and movement, from eternal unending same people !WAR!

So they do get away from "The Sigmarines Dead, Jim, but not as we know it - he will see you at the next battle" kind of thing. Althought it sounds like they will get through an awful lot of heroes that way.

Still - for those who come into wargaming via this route its going to sort of be their WFB, so hope they enjoy it.

And the rest of us get some fun out of it ( oh yeah I am - sort of - here -  I might even buy some of it eventually and play it)

But - its still a shame nearly thirty years - burned. well for the moment - I mean, the BBC brought Doctor Who back.... So maybe if there's money in it enough, and desperation enough.. Limited Edition boxed set anyone?

Maybe tis just me but shoving it towards rules similar to LoTR would have made more sense, with a big push of new characters, or even back towards the evil "generic" fantasy of make up your own hero.

Ah well, bet thats been well chewed up in other forums so won't bother with it, theres now KoWs the 2nd to milk, and plenty of other things to play and paint.

its $200 here!  ::)

For a tentical tickle ? wow - if thats how much that kind of game play costs, no wonder GW stuff is expensive
 there - they must think your all loaded....
 With lots of Money.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3452 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »
Got my Box!

:-* :o o_o :-*

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #3453 on: July 16, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »
The local independent model shops got 2 left ,I nearly got my wallet out,still tempted to get one and either 40k it or do sci fi Knights ,which is basically same thing  lol

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #3454 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3455 on: July 17, 2015, 03:08:33 PM »
Must've been a slow day.

I like how they show a pic of space marines with the caption 'a customer plays a game of warhammer...' Yeah, probably because the writer might not make much of a distinction between the names 'Warhammer (Fantasy Battle)' and 'Warhammer 40,000', but I like to think it's because they can't make a distinction between ultramarines and sigmarines.  :D

Surprised to see they gave mention to a few other game companies, too!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:10:05 PM by Vermis »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3456 on: July 17, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
The article still sounds like a sponsored advert; I kept looking for the "advertisement" ribbon (it's quite common these days for adverts to be placed with the news with only a small line marked "advertisement" to note this. I expect better from the Guardian, but even reputable papers are doing it these days...).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #3457 on: July 17, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3459 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:18 PM »
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Combat-Gauge

lol lol lol lol

Er...  :o

Only £20 for a trinket?

"No more tape measures!"... Are they going to make a larger version to measure moves? And how about shooting (if that is still allowed)?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3460 on: July 17, 2015, 11:45:16 PM »
Considering the new rules, it really should double as a bottle opener.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3461 on: July 18, 2015, 12:08:32 AM »
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Combat-Gauge

lol lol lol lol

Sadly i was tempted by this until i saw the price.
£5 for a shiny trinket? go for it. £20? no thanks!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3462 on: July 18, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
At £5 it's a useful and stylish trinket to makes getting in between those melees a bit easier. At £20 it's... well, see my original response to it.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #3463 on: July 18, 2015, 12:20:05 AM »
At £5 it's a useful and stylish trinket to makes getting in between those melees a bit easier. At £20 it's... well, see my original response to it.

If i could borrow one from a friend i could take it to uni, cast it up and get it recast in bronze! With a big enough mould i could actually hand cast these from molten bronze and make them CHEAPER than this gw one!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3464 on: July 18, 2015, 12:34:08 AM »
The description states:

The Combat Gauge comes on a thick cord, with magnetic clasps, and can be worn away from the gaming table as a unique accessory.

Yep, I'll be doing that  lol